Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Alexa won't play Spotify

Alexa won't play Spotify

A few days ago, my Alexa (Echo 3rd gen) stopped playing Spotify. I say, play tunes. She goes, Tunes from Spotify. Like she normally does. Then... A beautiful playlist of silence errupts in my room i.e she doesn't actually play it. This is really annoying because I am an addict to Spotify (yes that's a thing) so please fix.
Top Answer
Maria

Hey everyone!

We have gone over this thread and summarized all the different issues that we have seen reported here. The main one which seems to be discussed is that Alexa won't play playlist with voice command. Quite a few users report solving this with a few troubleshooting steps like:

• Unlinking & relinking the Spotify skill on Alexa. You can check how to do it on this page.
  • Making sure Spotify is set as the default player.
  • Clearing cache of your Spotify app by following the steps here.
  • Removing the app permission for Alexa on Spotify through the account page > Manage apps. To re-add it, simply log back in to Alexa.
  • Trying to use a different voice commands to start the playlist - for example - Play Spotify on ... name of speaker. And you can also try to tap on the Alexa to start playback.

Another issue we have spotted is that when using the Connect feature users cannot see their Alexa devices. For this we would also recommend checking the Spotify skill and the network connection. Your router may support 2 different channels for the same network (2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz). You should check if both devices are connected to the same exact channel.

Some users in here are also reporting that the app keeps shutting down. In that case we'd recommend making sure both the Spotify and Alexa apps are up-to-date and that you clear cache for both.

With this said, we'll be locking this thread. If you're still experiencing issues, please try the steps above. If none of that helps, you can also create a new thread, where you let us know your exact behavior and the troubleshooting steps you've tried.

117 Replies

Hey @Preset,

Thanks for posting in the Community. We're sorry to hear you're not able to enjoy your favorite tunes. We'll do our best to help.

You can try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Unplug the Echo Dot device for 30 seconds and plug it in again.
  • Remove the Spotify skill in the Alexa app and re-add it.
  • Reinstall the Alexa app
  • Connect the Echo Dot to a different internet connection (by a different provider)

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks, I'll try it as soon as possible. Fingers crossed 🤞 it works!

None of this worked for me.

Tried all solutions, they did not work.

Hey there @x7g_o9c-cm099

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you check if the firmware of your speaker has any pending updates? 

On another note, does the same happen if you start the playback on your phone and use the Connect feature?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi I have the same problem. My echo (1st Gen) is up to date and the connect feature from the phone app doesn’t work either. It tries to connect but nothing happens. 

Hi, I have had this problem now for a week in the UK. We have 5 Alexa devices and I have the app. The account says it is linked (I have done all the above suggestions) but Alexa can't play from spotify and spotify can no longer find any Alexa devices. Very frustrating as my kids use it for music at bedtime.

Are there any new ideas?

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and for the info shared. 

@AbeJ, would you mind sharing with us if perhaps you've tried some of the troubleshooting steps mentioned above? If yes, let us know exactly what you've tried, that way we can avoid repeating any steps. 

On another note, would you mind letting us know the make/model and OS of your mobile device along with the Spotify version you're running there? Meanwhile, we'd suggest checking if perhaps you have some firmware updates pending on your Echo device.

@Icyemberz, would you mind letting us know exactly what steps you've tried from above? As mentioned previously, that way we can avoid repeating any steps.

On another note, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Here is what I get now. Re-installed everything and Alexa is "up to date"

Hey @polarismd,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We're afraid we couldn't open the video because of security reasons and video error. Would you mind sending it again? We'd recommend that you upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

Additionally, sharing any other details (such as device's make, model and OS) will be very helpful to us as well. This way we can get a better understanding and advise you further. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

LyubkaModerator

Hey @polarismd,

Thanks for getting back to us and for providing the screen recording.

We've forwarded this to the relevant team, however we can't confirm when it will be addressed.

In the meantime, make sure to always keep the app up to date with the latest version, so you don't miss out any fixes and stability improvements.

Hope it gets sorted out soon. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

LyubkaModerator

I have the same problem. Spotify stopped working on all my Alexa’s and google homes. Very frustrating and non of these solutions/suggestions work. 

I’m having the same problem. I can’t play anything from my Spotify app on my phone to Alexa and when I ask her to play something from Spotify it’s just silent. Tried all of the above troubleshooting steps but nothings worked. 

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? Got the same issue.

Nope… no reply

Hey folks,

If the above steps haven't helped, please let us know the following details (if you haven't already) so we can forward this for further investigation:

• A detailed description of the issue
  • The exact model of your device
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Cheers,

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Nothing has helped. Both Google and Alexa stop playing my Spotify playlists after a min or two… I am being forced to give up on Spotify. 

Same here. I am using a Marshall UXBridge speaker. 
It used to work smoothly a few weeks back. Now when I play music from Spotify and connect to the device, Spotify either stops playing after a minute or two. Then it'll pause for like 3-4 minutes (No music output) but the application UI would indicate that the playback is continuing. Sometimes it would display (10:00/4:30) 10 mins of playback on a 4-minute song.

I figured that it might be an issue with the speaker itself. I tried the following but the problem occurs every single time

• Factory resetting the speaker.
  • Re-installing Alexa & relinking everything
  • Connected to a different router

Airplay is working fine, so I think its safe to assume that nothing's potentially wrong with the speaker.

Any help on this problem? @moderators

Suggested posts