Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify no longer connects to Sonos speakers

Solved!

Spotify no longer connects to Sonos speakers

About two days ago (Aug 8th 2019), Spotify no longer connects to my Sonos speakers.  This has been working up until then.

Logged in to Spotify, I see my Sonos speakers, try to connect and nothing happens.  Using Apple phone, Windows 10 Surface.  Neither work.

Removed the Spotify service on Sonos and re-added.  Restarted both devices, reset the Sonos speakers (unplugged, replugged).  Nothing seems to work. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 6 and Surface Pro WIndows 10.

Operating System

iOS 12.4, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

56 Replies

me too. I wonder if the fact that a bunch of people are suddenly having the issue could be some update they're doing?

go to status.sonos.com its now a known issue they are working on.

oh thanks a lot -- i was looking for a tabulation like that and unable to find it! appreciate the link.

Hey folks,

Thank you for reaching out about this here in the Community.

You're right that we had some trouble with the Connect feature and what you've mentioned was reported here.

This should be fixed now, so if it's not working for could restart your router and give it another try. 

Let us know how it goes!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

After the newest updates, it not working again..

Sorry, this fix still don‘t work! I cannot get a connection from any  iOS or Android device to my Sonos system anymore. How I get support to make it working again??

I'm in the same boat...hasn't worked in about a week

Here it now only works on the Play:1 and Play:5 rooms. The Play:3 rooms are not available from the list for Spotify Connect.

Previously it worked for all the rooms.

I just set up a new Samsung S10 with Sonos S1 and Spotify, with a Play:3. I could not get Spotify to play before confirming in the Spotify app that it can stream music using cellular service. Clearly, there is a technical dependency to do this. You may want to take this up with Spotify.

Clearing the cache in Spotify worked for me.

Spoiler
I've been having this same problem as long as I've had my Sonos Speakers (2 years with 2x Play:1)

I can play Spotify thru the Sonos app but not via Windows Desktop App or iOS App. 

I used to be able to fix it by turning off the Sonos speakers and turning them on again. This doesn't work with the latest release of Sonos and Spotify.

It's a really annoying bug - enough to turn me off buying more Sonos products or "smart" speakers".

Here's what I think is happening - 

Spotify updates their apps, on Windows, and IOS. This breaks the Spotify -> Sonos functionality.  Sonos updates its own apps to fix it, it works for a while, then Spotify updates their apps again, and it all breaks again. I've noticed that spotify updates its apps very frequently. Sonos updates its software much less frequently.

This is why the "internet of things" will fail and fail hard.

Individual companies, doing their own thing, not talking to each other, releasing buggy code.

Anyway -

I have found that starting Spotify on a MacOS device (like a Macbook Pro laptop) will show the Sonos speakers under devices. If you play music thru the MacOS device to this Sonos device, Spotify on the other platforms (Windows and IOS) will start to recognise the speakers again.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue.

I also hope Sonos fixes this issue properly soon. Their speakers are way too expensive for this to be have been an issue for soooo long.

Hey @jwastrel,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly help you out.

This issue should be resolved now. If you're still experiencing this, could you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app? Make sure to reboot your Windows/iOS device, your Sonos speaker an your Wi-Fi router afterwards. It's a good idea to also remove the access of the Sonos app to your Spotify account using the steps on this page and then reconnect them again. That should do the trick.

If the issue persists, could you let us know the make and model of your devices, your OS and Spotify version

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

If you're still experiencing this, could you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app? Make sure to reboot your Windows/iOS device, your Sonos speaker an your Wi-Fi router afterwards. It's a good idea to also remove the access of the Sonos app to your Spotify account using the steps on this page and then reconnect them again. That should do the trick.

No trick done! Very annoying!

This started happening to me during this week (has otherwise been working flawlessly since initial setup almost a year ago).

After reluctantly performing all the the actions asked for above, the Spotify app still does not connect to any of the Sonos speakers.

Devices: 4 pieces of the Sonos/IKEA "Symfonisk"

Phone: Oneplus 7t, running Android 10.0.9

Spotify: v8.5.75.766, supposedly the latest version (fresh from Play store)

Hey @P_Envall

Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about this. 

Could you confirm if it only happens on your phone or if the issue persists on other devices too?

It would also be great if you could try with another internet connection if it's possible.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help 🙂

Cheers!

Hi there ,

I have the same issue here. I have a premium family account. Every member is able to see our Sonos devices within Spotify and play with Spotify connect.

I’m the only one that is not able to see the devices on my updated iPhone 12 mini.

Tried all the fixes you guys mentioned. Nothing helps. How come every member of my family is able to see devices in Spotify (on new iPhones and older iPads )?

Would really like to solve this it’s very annoying.
Kind regards.

Hey @Tobyonecanobi,

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

If possible, we'd suggest logging into your account using a different device to see if the issue persists. You can also ask a friend or a family member to log into their personal account using your device and see if they can replicate this. 

We'd also recommend a clean reinstall of the app as this is more thorough than a regular one. This will help clearing any cache that might be causing issues and will ensure you're running the latest app version.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi, 

thanks for getting back to me. I did both things: 

1. logged in on my iPhone with an account of a family member that does see all Sonos devices. Then all devices are visible! Once I login back to my account it doesn't. 

2. did a clean install as instructed but it doesn't solve the issue. 

3. checked on my MacBook Pro: my account doesn't see any devices or sometimes (totally random when) one Sonos device even that we have multiple on the network. Loggin into my MacBook Spotify with the login details of my member does reveal all devices.

All OS's are up to date, as well as firmware on all Sonos devices. Spotify is the latest version.

All family members, including myself, can play Spotify through the Sonos app and the Sonos app always recognizes all devices without any issues. 

Just a moment ago Spotify connect discovered a group of Sonos devices but then it's listed under other devices (IMG_2983).  It's supposed to show a list like in the other screenshot, which is what my family member sees right at this moment when opening Spotify connect (devices).

It seems that this is an issue of Spotify connect on the account level? I really don't understand which tests we can do more than this. 

Maybe it's good to mention as well that even that my iPhone and MacBook showed this group for a couple of minutes after returning to these apps after a while they just totally lost all devices.

Please advice.... This always worked very well for all of us... 

IMG_2983.PNG
Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 20.25.10.png

Allow me to add one more image, after returning to my MacBook pro (after several minutes) it seems to have lost again all connections (also not seeing this group). 

In other words, all devices where I use Spotify connect on don't see devices or when they do (limited to 1-2 for a short while) they totally loose them again. 

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 20.41.48.png

Hey Tobyonecanobi, 

Thanks for the clarification! 

In this case, we suggest that you unlink your Spotify account from the Sonos devices and then link it again. You can find more info here

Additionally, we recommend restarting your router to check if this makes the difference. 

Also, make sure that your devices (phone, PC) are connected to the same WiFi than your Sonos devices.

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

hi there, 

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them all in the meantime. No success, unfortunately.

Spotify on iPhone & mc book pro & iPad pro-2020 model does not see devices. No issues with playing Spotify on the Sonos app and no issue with discovering devices with the Sonos app. The issue must be in the Spotify app. 

My complete setup is on Ubiquiti wireless AP, stable network.

Please advise me further. It's very frustrating to see that only my Spotify app is refusing to discover while I prefer to use Spotify connect much more than the Sonos app. 

Suggested posts