Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify no longer supports this version of chrome.

Solved!

Spotify no longer supports this version of chrome.

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Device

Chromebook

Operating System

Chrome

My Question or Issue

I can log in a browse normally, look at playlists, etx. But, whenever I try to play any song/playlist, I get an error pop saying I need to update my chrome, even though it's in the latest version.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are aware of an issue with Spotify in Chrome and are currently investigating it. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. Be sure to comment or subscribe in the topic to get notifications. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

36 Replies

I have this problem, too. I have been trying to find ways to fix it regarding Chrome but only seem to find other web browsers solving the problem. Everything I've tried from different web browsers so far has not worked in the same at all. 

I’ve been having the same issue the past teo weeks. Have not been able to figure it out and it has been driving me crazy. 

This started to happen in my ubuntu after I ran a system update last week. My chrome is in the latest version available (70.0.3538.77-1).

My ubuntu is Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, 64 bits.

When I run open.spotify.com, click to listen to a playlist, that error message appears. The chrome console shows the following errors:

POST https://guc-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1566485555&cp=&tok=429AEC9012... 400
vendor.989fd50c.js:1 POST https://guc-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1566485555&cp=&tok=429AEC9012... 400

When I open the open.spotify.com page there are some uncaught javascript exceptions that chrome detects.

Had the same issue. To fix I went to more in top right corner of tab, hovered over Help, then clicked About Chrome OS. Had to click restart in order to complete browser update.

Unfortunately I’m not on a Chrome OS so I dont have that option. Still trying to figure this thing out...

Hey all,

If you are still experiencing this issue, could you please try to clear your browser and cookies? 

If it doesn't try an incognito browsing session and and a different account and let us know how that goes. That way we can find out if it's related to the browser or to your account.

Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day.

I cleared all my history, cache and cookies and that did not work. Tried going incognito and that didnt work either. I dont have another account to try so cant try that one for you. If it helps any I am running fully updated Chrome on a Mac. 

cleared everything out of my browser, and spotify still doesn't work anymore. this started last week sometime. bleh.

using brave browser on ubuntu 18.04.3 desktop.

debug info:

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch:printing-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch:security-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
$ dpkg -l | grep brave-browser
ii brave-browser 0.68.131 amd64 The web browser from Brave

wth? Fix the problem on your site! This is not how you treat paying customers.

Well, I wouldn't want to help someone like you if you continued to complain like that.
These people probably have jobs outside of Spotify Rockstar, so you can't blame them, and communication is probably really poor from Rock Stars and actual Spotify staff, making it take even longer.
Either way, all we can do is sit here and wait. Complaining only makes it look worse for you, and makes the Moderators less-friendly and less cooperative to help.

most people commented on it before spotify confirmed it was a problem on their part so we were trying to ask for help from each other since we didn’t know what was going on. no need to be rude about our confusion. i went to spotify’s help twitter and they told me it was a problem on my part, too. this was BEFORE they noticed it was their own problem. 

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying if I was a moderator, and someone was bugging me to help and complaining about their own problem mentioning "This isn't how you help customers"
I'd be quite keen on leaving and closing the conversation.
I'm just trying to keep this conversation more civilized, that we just point out facts and not spew out nonsense that sometimes makes moderators angry and or mad.
Moderators deal with this stuff every day, so if anything, changing your attitude about the situation would make them more happy to help you.
This is bugging me too, I can't listen to my music while I do my homework, but I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining my situation in a calm manner, to appeal to moderators who come onto the forums looking to help.
Sorry if my previous reply seemed a bit rude, I was trying to make a point.
And I understand that most people commented before they realized it was a problem, but, these people probably have a life.

Well, I thought that moderators on spotify.com are paid support engineers. Honestly I don't expect some random guy to provide support on official web of product that I do pay for.

This also is not working. Like... why you heff to do this to us chromebook users. Lowkey shook. Please fix this my guy. 

Also on a Chromebook. Ive updated Chrome, restarted, cleared cookies, turned off AdBlocker. Still doesn't work. It actully starts to play the song before the error messge kicks in. 

Marked as solution

Hey all,

We are aware of an issue with Spotify in Chrome and are currently investigating it. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. Be sure to comment or subscribe in the topic to get notifications. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

I started writing this the Spotify community forum, but I started expounding, so I thought I probably out to record it here first. 

I'm having so much fun here. Sorry, that was a lie. Or was it? Normally a website that gives me as much trouble as Spotify does would be regarded as a royal pain-in-the-neck. 

I'm checking the fringes of my digital domain (riding the fences, so to speak), deleting spam from my email and I come across a note from Spotify promoting a tune. Well, sure I'll give it a shot, so I click. The click takes me to the Spotify website, but not to the tune they are promoting. Find the tune, login, click play and I get a big fat error - "The version of Chrome is not supported", so I update my OS, which hopefully updates Chrome because I don't want any more instructions.

The frustration from following all the relatively simple instructions to correct a fundamental problem is very annoying. On the other hand it has given me something to focus on. The original problem of not being able to play tunes using Spotify on the Chrome web browser I can kind of understand. Chrome is a Google product, and we now know Google is pretty much just like any other person / corporate entity - they are going to look out for their own best interests, and it that means making some obscure little tweak to Chrome that makes everybody else's streaming engine choke, well I wouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand it might be that Google is simply following an evolving specification and Spotify's programmers are slacking.

Whatever, we'll probably never know. I Google the problem and find myself on Spotify community forum, where I go through more contortions to get logged in. I eventually find this topic and follow more instructions, but Spotify still no worky.

I was thinking about posting technical info like OS and brower versions, but since they aren't asking, maybe they don't care.

I have the same problem.  I'm on a Chromebook, which automatically updates Chrome.  I've seen theories that it's Spotify's way of trying to force us into the app, but I already have the app and have the same problem on both the app and the browser version.  I'm surprised that this still hasn't been taken care of in the three weeks since OP posted their concerns.

Same here.  Also, it's not just Chrome.  Just typing my problem in the forum I saw posts from people from Firefox or Safari with the exact same problem we're having.  Jumped through all these hoops to make an account for the forum just to hopefully draw attention to the problem, but I doubt anyone from Spotify is gonna do anything to fix it.

Suggested posts