Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify no longer supports this version of chrome.

Solved!

Spotify no longer supports this version of chrome.

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Device

Chromebook

Operating System

Chrome

My Question or Issue

I can log in a browse normally, look at playlists, etx. But, whenever I try to play any song/playlist, I get an error pop saying I need to update my chrome, even though it's in the latest version.

36 Replies

Hey all, checking in. While I have the same problems as others (such as the
song starting then the error popping up, etc.), I don't think it's any sort
of conspiracy theory to push us on another platform. I think the devs made
an update Chromebooks with limited hardware may not be able to support.
Honestly, I have a hunch that a solution is either very close, or very far
away. Feel free to offer any potential solutions. I miss my music too lol

Hi all, Wanted to drop my last comment on the matter. 
For about a week, Spotify's service was working for me, now, when I attempt to play any music, my Spotify kinda just doesn't want to play any music for me. I wanted to also allow the person above me to show that writing a nasty message on how much of a bad time you had because Spotify's programmers were slacking to fix the program, does not make Spotify work any faster.
Being patient, and allowing Spotify to reply to kind-hearted messages that have no intent of de-throning Spotify's staff are messages that will make Spotify staff want to work.
(Also, bolding a word in your message adds no effects to your question.
if anything, it only makes you stand out.)

Oh, one last thing. Be kind. The last thing that moderators want is someone throwing a temper-tantrum in their face. If we keep up our act, this whole scene will inevitably turn into a hot dumpster fire.
Thanks. Have a nice day.

@epicchristian This is paid service. As paying customers we have right to expect it works...and we have also right to be annoyed if we do not think we are treated well.

Yes, I have this problem as well. I've checked my Chrome a million times and it still says up to date. This has been going on for at least a month and nothing is changing. I've started using a different website for my podcast and started using soundcloud for music. Very disappointing because I really miss using Spotify.  I will send a picture of this message and my chrome is up to date. 

update .jpg
Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 11.46.33 PM.png

This didn't work for me.

I had the same problem you were having, and I don't know if they're caused by the same things, so take my solution with a grain of salt.  What caused me to have this error code is that I accidentally clicked 'Block' when the pop-up asking for my permission to play 'protected sounds' or something came up.  The solution I found was to enter 'chrome://settings/content' into your addressbar, which will bring you to your chrome's settings for various permissions, scroll down to the bottom of the list of permissions, and clickthe one that says 'protected sounds' and remove spotify from the blocked list.

Edit: Spelling and changed 'taskbar' to 'address bar'

Tried this and already had it set to always play protected sounds.  Spotify was also specifically on my "allow" list.  Unfortunately not a solution for me, but hope it works for some others, thanks.

Screenshot 2019-09-17 at 7.03.42 AM.png

Okay, so I've been experimenting for a while, and something random happened. I opened my Task Manager by pressing the key with the search key+esc (this can also be done with Shift+esc on some chromebooks). I quickly disabled some blockers in place set up by my Chromebook's administrator, then opened up a playlist. For some reason, my music started working, and I'm very happy. Please let me know if this works for you. So sorry this hasn't gotten the attention this deserves.

The way I fixed it was by downloading chrome again and making sure it was my default browser, from there I closed the window I was on and tried it again. It worked.

Google finally released a update for my chromebook, after I downloaded the
sofware Spotify started working again. Thanks for your help.

i am afraid the problem has yet to be solved

I've been contacting Spotify support for weeks and all they can ever tell me is to download the app which also does not work on a desk top.  I used to use spotify at my work with many of my co-workers and at this point none of us are able to use the app which continues to charge me even though I'm unable to use the services they promise to provide.  So extremely frustrating. 

I may be wrong, but isn’t there a browser version of Spotify you can use?
I know the desktop version of it is free, only the mobile version has a
subscription fee

spotify, weve been waiting for months for this problem to be fixed. i have a premium account and im just throwig my money out the window. 

The Web player is still not working on Chrome Version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit) for Linux. The same error message is displayed, while I have the latest version of Chrome.

In the network tab I see one failed request: https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=<EXPIRATION>&cp=&tok=<TOKEN>, not sure if this is the reason of the error message. 

This endpoint returns a 200 status code and payload in Firefox, but a 400 in Chrome, even in a private window.

Pandora, Youtube, and Sound-cloud are all working for me if anyone needs an alternative while Spotify is not working. 

Yes, constantly informed that spotify does not support this version of chrome ??? It must be up to date, cos it's on a chromebook !

Suggested posts