Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not working with Google Home

Solved!

Spotify not working with Google Home

Free and Premium

United States

Google Home and iPhone XS Max

iOS 12.1.4

When using Google Home and linking a Spotify account (be it Premium or Free tier) I am not getting a response back with utterances being said to the device. Ex. "Hey Google, play STARGAZING by Travis Scott." The Google Home will say sure, or ok and then not play music or do anything else. Additionally, If I happen to use the Google Home App it will open the Spotify app and just take me to the Spotify Artist page and do nothing as well and not play music.

87 Replies

Hello, I have tried everything that is mentioned in this post. I have a Pixel XL phone using Spotify and trying to cast to a Google Nest. I was doing this earlier without an issue. I can tell this is a Spotify issue because Pandora (a free service) works just fine.

Youtube works too if you unlink spotify. So maybe they'll fix it soon.

I am also having the same issues. I have tried everything. This is something spotify needs to fix.

Thank you for that suggestion ScoopskiePotato; I did see your solution but it unfortunately did not work for me. I went through every conceivable permutation of clearing cache and storage for an app (google home and spotify), uninstalling an app outright and then reinstalling (google home and spotify), signing out of spotify and then back-in after clearing cache/storage, etc. .

Still no luck streaming from either a windows pc or a pixel 3 phone.

I am having same issue as everyone else.  My Google Assistant says "sorry something went wrong" when trying to cast audio Spotify.  Pandora works, YouTube Music works.  This is a Spotify issue.  I have tried every single thi g here and have spent hrs trying to figure it out.  It worked fine yesterday.  This just started today.

I am having the same problem...tried everything everyone has posted above, and even tried factory resetting my google home twice...NOTHING...I think Spotify needs to hire new programmers, because this is sloppy AF

Having the same problem here. Everything was fine just last night and now all I get from Google Home when asking to play music from Spotify has been "something went wrong". Tried to cast the sound to Google Home manual but it does not work also. Please help.

So is Spotify just going to ignore this issue or are you guys actually going to fix this? Own up to your flawed app and fix it, we pay for this service, it should work.

I am having the same issue! Unfortunately I just purchased my home mini today and was using Spotify just fine. Came back from work and now when requesting to play music my assistant says okay and then moments later I get an error. I’ve tried linking/unlinking, signing out of Spotify, unlinking google account, hard resetting device and nothing solves it. All other services work so it seems Spotify has some work to do.

I'm having the same issue as everyone else, just started happen yesterday, late afternoon, was working in the morning then all of a sudden all 4 of my Google homes wouldn't play Spotify...Hey Spotify are you seeing this thread?! What's going on? 

Seems to be a Spotify server side issue, or some permissions issue between Spotify and google. Hope they’ve got their best people working on this and solve it today. 

I have the exact same issue. Started happening yesterday afternoon and now nothing will case to any of the devices. I have a google audio device, google chromscast, and  a google nest hub. I hear a sound like its going to connect and then nothing. The google nest shows the following error

15888553298483906098657763474269.jpg

It didn't solve the problem. I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. It's not casting and it's only playing 20 seconds. I don't want to pay Spotify for nothing 

Spotify works on my home mini. Not on my google home. Hmmm

Mine stopped working yesterday afternoon as well. I gone through ever suggestion on here and it's still not working.

**bleep** thank God i checked here, I thought it was just me but it looks like Spotify broke it once again...Music gets me through my day so can we please fix this, not trying to kill me phone battery by just using my phone to play music. We paid for this service !

Ok so it looks like I'm not the only one having the problem. I am also unable to play music from spotify on my google mini with my iPhone SE (2017). Maybe spotify is having server issues after its update yesterday...?

EDIT: This all started happening yesterday night by the way

Have two Google home devices, both stopped working yesterday afternoon.  I am also unable to cast Spotify from my phone to my home devises or my Android TV.  Have tried all the tips mentioned to correct the issue, nothing works.  Seems like this is a Spotify tech issue, which I hope is addressed ASAP.

I tried the solution but Google still says "Something went wrong." It started yesterday. I only use Spotify through Google Hub so if its not fixed I'll have to cancel my account.

Just adding my name to the list of “ive tried all of this and it still isn’t working.”

Suggested posts