Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not working with Google Home

Solved!

Spotify not working with Google Home

Free and Premium

United States

Google Home and iPhone XS Max

iOS 12.1.4

When using Google Home and linking a Spotify account (be it Premium or Free tier) I am not getting a response back with utterances being said to the device. Ex. "Hey Google, play STARGAZING by Travis Scott." The Google Home will say sure, or ok and then not play music or do anything else. Additionally, If I happen to use the Google Home App it will open the Spotify app and just take me to the Spotify Artist page and do nothing as well and not play music.

87 Replies

It doesn’t work! This is not a solution. I **bleep** I have to get a different music account because there is not reason to have something that is messed up and not working on my google nest. And you send me the “solution” a. I have seen, duh. b. 59 people have posted that it isn’t a solution. C. Bye-bye!

It doesn’t work! Many people have posted that it doesn’t work. Why am I giving you my money!?! You’re customer service is terrible!

That worked for me, but why does this keep happening?  I seem to have to unlink and relink my account about once every few months.

UPDATE:  It worked for all of about 5 minutes.  I've tried unlinking and relinking the service several times.  One other time it seemed to work for a couple minutes, until I asked Google to transfer the music to a difference speaker, at which time it stopped entirely (despite confirming it was doing so).  I have not been able to stream my Spotify music to any of my Google devices (I've tried 3 different ones).

Get it together, Spotify.  This is an unacceptable level of unreliability.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out and  keeping us in the loop.

Next to the steps that @Guido suggested we recommend that you try also the following:

• Do a clean reinstall of both your Spotify and Google Home app, there might be some faulty files that are causing the connectivity issues. This Spotify Answer can help with that. 
  • Restart both devices with waiting about 10 seconds before starting them back up. This is often overlooked, but very effective.
  • Check if you experience the same issues with another internet connection.
  • Turn off all battery optimization and cache clearing apps for bot Spotify and Google Home. Keep in mind that some device have such apps preinstalled.
  • Connect another Spotify account and let us know if that solved the issue. You can create one here. If that worked, this page has instructions on how to transfer your music and followers.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same problem here, started today. Have tried all the solutions above. None worked. When I ask the speaker to play Spotify it says 'Sorry, something went wrong, give it another try'.

Hey @lukemb64,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you've tried the troubleshooting steps outlined in my previous post, it might be that you are experiencing a case of this active Ongoing Issue. 

You can +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll keep you updated on any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this is useful, but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator

Great thanks Mihail, yes I tried all the steps in your posts and others. Useful to know about this current issue I have + myself. Many thanks for the quick response.

Hey,
I tried the steps you recommanded and It worked but only when I used another account... Do you know how can I used my "main" account cause this one is premium?

Hey @GuiFall,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community 🙂

If the same thing doesn't happen on another account, it sounds like it is an account-related issue. In this case we'd suggest you give these steps a go and transfer the music so you can enjoy your favorite jams on another account. There are also steps on how to cancel the previous subscription. After that you can head here and activate Premium on the other account.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

What worked for me was to factory reset all devices so they are unlinked from my current "home" in google home app. Then remove "home". Create new home and then reconfigure the devices.

Mine started working again after I had tried all solutions above (apart from new account) and they had failed. I thought it may be the general issue that was mentioned above being solved but I see that is still under investigation.

so after reading some of these comments, I was determined this was 100% a Spotify issue. I’ve been wasting time fighting with Google Home support. 

I have gone off/on premium as special offers come out. I’ve noticed that mine has been acting up a lot since I dropped my service from premium to free. I just activated my premium account and BOOM, issue fixed. 

this leads me to believe there is a cache in my account within the Spotify servers. 

as an IT person, I’ve flushed out my apps, devices, cache, etc. it’s not my home. There is something acting up with our accounts at Spotify. 

Hey @JMcConville,

Thanks for reaching out.

We're happy to hear that at the end you managed to resolve your issues with Spotify and Google Home. We want to reassure you that we take the utmost care for all accounts across all free and Premium services that we offer. However it's possible that individual account face certain issues that can be resolved by creating a new one. We understand how this can cause an inconvenience and suggest it only after everything else has been tried. To ease the process we've posted these instructions on how to transfer your library, so that nothing gets lost.  

To everyone experiencing similar issues we've gathered all steps that have worked for users so far and ask you to first try these out:

• unlink and relink Spotify with your Google Home app. You can find instructions on how to do this here or in @Guido's post
  • try using a different networks, such as a mobile hotspot. If it works there reach out to your ISP about possible restrictions of your internet network
  • perform a clean reinstall of both your Spotify and Google Home app, as the file integrity could be compromised and causing such issues. This Spotify Answer can help with that. 
  • perform a factory reset on all devices and ensure that they are running the latest firmware and fully up to date

Hope this is helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Mihail Moderator

why should we have to create new accounts and transfer everything over, to fix a coding bug within your application?

This really is shocking. Do Spotify realise how much time it takes for factory resets etc. The app is buggy and over the years I have problem  after problem, pan devices and family accounts. I have tried all the methods bar factory reset and cannot get Spotify to work with Google home in multiple devices. It did work fine and just stopped. How would a factory reset fix that. Please sort out the app. I only stay with you to appease my teenage kids. 

Google nest mini won’t play anything from Spotify.  It says we’re having problems with that every time. I’ve unlinked and linked back. Still does it. I can’t unlink a default music provider.  Also, I frequently need to start Google Nest from scratch. I am constantly disconnected- like I don’t even have an account. The speaker is just a couple feet from our router. 
Spotify no longer play my liked songs or any artist radio. I’ve unlinked and linked. I’ve even did a factory reset. It says “playing your liked songs” or “playing Frank Sinatra (or any artist”, and then nothing happens. My Google Home app and Alexa app say it’s playing but the speakers are completely silent.
I see many people have these same issues. The solutions Spotify gives don’t do a thing. 
At this point, my question is Why don’t you care. Aren’t you losing many customers over this issue. I like Spotify otherwise, but why can’t play my library on either of these speakers. I used to be able to.

There’s nothing that says “linked media accounts” in settings.

I'm getting this issue today. 

Spotify worked perfectly ok on my Google nest Audio yesterday and this morning. This afternoon it's just stopped working. My Nest tries to play something then says 'Sorry something went wrong'. 

I've restarted my Nest and Phone, unlinked and relinked my Spotify account in Google Home. Spotify works ok on the phone but won't cast to the Nest anymore. 

I WILL NOT be factory resetting my devices, this is a total cop out and not a solution for this issue.

I pay for Spotify and expect a proper analytical, intelligent, comprehensive investigation and full solution to this issue. 

• SOLVED MY ISSUE, PRESS RESET FOR A WHILE IN THE BACK OF GOOGLE HOME MINI TO FACTORY RESET, THEN SIMPLY ADD IT AGAIN IN GOOGLE HOME. IT WORKS.

Suggested posts