Spotify on Apple TV: terrible audio quality

Highlighted

Spotify on Apple TV: terrible audio quality

I get really poor, fuzzy sound quality when I play music using the new Spotify app for Apple TV. I have a good broadband connection and it's not a problem if I use another device and airplay the same music to the Apple TV.

Is there a setting I've missed that I can use to force audio quality to be high?

Device

Apple TV 4

Operating System

tvOS 13.0

Plan

Premium

9 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Spotify on Apple TV: terrible audio quality

I was searching for this! My first thought was that I had trashed my speakers without noticing it before. But when I switched to AirPlay via my IPhone, every sound was crystal clear again! Something is clearly not right with the app at this point. Hope they fix it soon!
Highlighted

Regular

Hey guys,

Have you tried reinstalling the app first? You could also try to toggle the "reduce loud sounds" option in the AppleTV settings.

I also have an AppleTV at home and works fine there. Hope it will work for you guys as well!

Ciao

Highlighted

Visitor

What a relief to learn others have found the same problem, I thought my (expensive) Bose Home Theatre Sound System had blown it's speakers when I played music through Spotify on the new Apple TV Spotify App, dreadful fuzzy sound.

I then air played Spotify through to Apple TV, and hey presto, the poor sound quality issue was gone.

Great to see Apple has finally allowed Spotify to have an Apple TV App, but absolute B.S. that the sound quality is **bleep** poor, and there is no way to adjust Bass/Treble/Equalizer settings, some skulduggery is obviously afoot.

Sort it out please

Highlighted

Visitor

The Spotify app for Apple TV is flawed. I'm sure nobody listened to the audio before releasing this app. The app tries to do some clever thing to make a Dolby up mix of the tracks which sound like a playback from a speaker placed in a bucket.

I'm surprised there is no fix or comment on this by spotify.

Using a Denon AVR4300 and Dali 7.1 Speaker setup.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hey guys, I’ve got the very same issue. I cross-checked by trying different Apple TV apps, Apple TV sound settings, I changed auxiliary cables, speakers - alas, to no avail. It’s due to Apple TV Spotify app itself. Can you please @spotify team fix it?

Highlighted

Regular

I recently got a new DAC and can now clearly hear low-level artifacts and distortion in most every Spotify track on their Apple TV app. I read the tv app description and think I figured out the reason: It says “high quality audio, no ads (premium only)”. 

In Spotify-speak, high quality is 160 kbit/s not “very high” 320 kbit/s. So technically they’re offering exactly what they promised lol. Maybe someday soon they’ll upgrade the tv app to let us choose “very high”. 

Highlighted

Music Fan
same here!

Visitor

The problem persists even on newest tvOS 13.4.

I connected my Apple TV to Focusrite audio interface via S/PDIF to see what is going on. Probably the output level of Spotify app is way too high and the terrible sound quality is caused by audio clipping effect 😞

HBO GO APP       SPOTIFY APP

HBO GOHBO GO     SpotifySpotify

Highlighted

Music Fan
Same here!

I use HomePod as an audio output for Apple TV and the sound quality is terrible. But when I output audio from the iPhone to the HomePod it is perfect.
SUGGESTED POSTS