Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Roku remote: oversensitive up and down arrows

Solved!

Spotify on Roku remote: oversensitive up and down arrows

On the Roku, ONLY in the Spotify app, the remote up and down arrows often skip up or down... and with my Harmony 880 Universal Remote, Up arrow always jumps up exactly 3 items in any list (songs/playlists/etc.) and Down arrow always jumps DOWN exactly 3 songs/playlists/etc. Both the Roku remote and my Harmony 880 Universal remote work perfectly in every other Roku app. It's only the Spotify app exhibiting this probem.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

If you actually unplug the box and switch it off for a minute or so and then switch it back on again, you're asked to re-enter all your log in and passwords and then it actually works normally.

Mine's been ok for a about 6 weeks now but apparently at some point it will revert back to being really **bleep**ing annoying again, in which case I'm assuming you have to redo the whole procedure again.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I think I found a fix

Set "Device Command Repeats" to 1 using this guide

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/adjusting-a-devices-command-repeats

Marked as solution

Found a better solution for the Roku than unplugging it which requires log-in credentials when you plug it back in.  That's a pain.  This isn't a "fix" exactly since Spotify will start doing it again after a while (totally unnacceptable BTW Spotify - not  a way to run a business - you really should fix it - makes you guys look really unprofessional and like you don't care about your customers - OK rant over).

So here's the "temporary" solution: you do a restart within Roku settings by navigating to the "System Restart" option: 

Settings - System - System Restart. 

This is way faster and easier than unplugging and inputting login info!

There's also a way to reboot if Roku has totally frozen up on you.  This is a remote control function:

1) Press Home button 5x

2) Press Arrow Up button 1x

3) Press Rewind button 2x

4) Press Fast Forward button 2x

Hope this helps everyone 🙂

41 Replies

I"m having the same issue with a Harmony 890.

I have the same problem using a Harmony 650 with the Roku Spotify App - it is 'over sensitive' and jumps 4 selections.  The Spotify app worked fine for the first 2 or three weeks, but then one day it became vitually unusable.  I uninstalled the app, reinstalled it, but I can't even enter my username because it skips past the letters I need to select.  WTF?

Hmmm... just tried it today and it's now working fine for me. Anyone else still seeing the problem? I haven't tried in many weeks so I don't know when it got better.

I just installed Spotify tonight and I'm having the same problem with the standard Roku remote. Ridiculous to try and navigate! What can be done about this?

I have this problem too. It's really bad on the Harmony 650, makes it unusable.

Even the Roku remote itself is oversensitive with the Spotify app, I have to be extra careful when pressing the up/down directional buttons.

This is still a problem. Not sure if it's on Spotify or Roku to fix this. But do it now!

On the Roku 3 I just bought, arrow navigation is way too sensitive when I'm in Spotify -- but not in ANY OTHER STREAMING CHANNEL.

Same exact problem here. Even using the Roku android app as a remote, it registers multiple clicks. 

I'm having the same issue. I have a Harmony 600, (weird that we all have universal Logitech remotes, eh?) but the issue is the same when I use the Roku remote. I have a Roku 2 XD.

It's not "unusable" though, if iconvenient. It doesn't seem to skip exactly 2/3/4 each time, but changes a little so really you just have to mess around and slowly type everything. WITHIN the app, it scrolls up and down by 1 or 2, randomly...which is annoying. Would love to see an update/patch for the app!

Update: My Roku remote is now working fine with Spotify (although I'm not all that pleased with the Spotify channel, acts up a lot.). What I did was reboot my Roku, it fixed the problem. The too-fast problem on the remote hasn't cropped up again, but if it does, I'm hoping the same solution will fix it again.

Of late, it seems to be a lot better (not perfect by any means though). It's still a bit jumpy but maybe 4 clicks out of 5 go one place over in the alphabet, with the 5th one jumping one or two but at least I can now eventually get the search term in.

But it's ridiculous that this hasn't been resolved.  I just stopped using Spotify on Roku for months because this started happening again.  Today I finally got it working via reboot but it's a complete waste of my $ to have a premium subscription when 80% of the listening I do is over Roku.  In fact, I almost cancelled but decided to give it another month to see how often this problem reoccurs....

I am having this same problem. The Spotify app on Roku is unusable. I just spent 45 minutes entering my username and password. I thought once I got logged in, things would be better. It wasn't. The remote is super sensitive and erratic. Pressing the button once makes the focus jump 2 or 3 or 4 times around the screen. So annoying. Obviously this is a problem. Why hasn't someone from Spotify joined in the conversation to give us an idea of when this will be fixed.

I wish I would have known this app was so glitchy and erratic before I signed up to spend $10 a month for Premium.

Same problem here. Roku 3 with Harmony Smart Control remote. Hit up or down while viewing options lists and the remote jumps all the way to the bottom/top of the list as if I'm holding the button down. I've tried it with the harmony remote as well as the iphone app. Same exact thing happens. It skips all the way to the end of the list with one single click.

The Spotify Engineers Must Have Fixed the Problem!

Turned on my spotify app today and lo and behold, the scroll works now! Anyone else get the fix?

Sadly, no.  I'm still having the same problem on a Now TV box, which is made by Roku.

I have the same problem on a Now TV box - same box as Roku.

Works only for few weeks, then the problem comes back.  Not acceptable as a solution becuase it's  a pain in the arse to reinput all my login details every time for both the Now TV box and Spotify.

This is driving me nuts! I've had my Roku for about 5 months and this problem has just started this week! I listen to Spotify for about 90% of the time I'm awake, daily... Sounds like the only solution people have found is to reboot the Roku. But I really don't want to have to go through that set up again and enter all my other user account details - that's ridiculous.

Anyone else had luck with any other solution?!

And agreed, why hasn't a Spotify moderator stepped in here with any advice?

Same issue.  Oversensitive and I can't switch songs because it just fast forwards. 

Suggested posts