Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Roku song issues

Spotify on Roku song issues

Well I was very happy to see Spotify on Roku but have noticed an issue with some songs not playing correctly. Stopping in the middle of the song or getting choppy and I have confirmed it isn't my ISP or Router for that matter. This is clearly an issue with Spotify or the Roku but what is it and can this be fixed?

26 Replies

I have the same problem. can someone help us to fix this issue

I'm having the same issues as well on my Roku 2 HD.  Songs keep skipping and the app is pretty much useless.

The only reason I signed up or premium was because of the new spotify app for the roku.  Any updates on this?

I removed some old channels that i never use anymore to free up some buffer memory and reset my roku (unplugged power) and it's working flawlessly now, no skipping or buffer issues.

I have Roku 2 XS and use the Spotify channel as well.

What about preferences? For instance: gapless playback, crossfade.

These features don't appear on the Spotify channel via Roku.

Any thoughts?

Best

I have a brand new Roku 3 and it does the same thing. Spotify plays fine, then it gets choppy, then it plays fine again, then it stops altogether. I have to leave the song list, re-enter the playlist, and then hit the volume button before it will play music again.

This doesn't happen with any of the other channels (Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, PBS, etc), just Spotify

I have a Roku 2 XD and I am also experiencing this problem exactly as you described.  It's really frustrating since everything else on my Roku is working like magic most of the time.

I have had the exact same issue with poor audio quality on Roku w/ high speed ethernet connection. Static/cracking in background. Pandora, Netflix, iTunes, etc. all work great on this connection with NO audio problems. Spotify is the only problem and audio used to be good on Roku until a recent software release during the past few months. I reported the problem to Spotify and they basically blew me off and said it was a hardware issue. Not sure how that can be based on what I described above and the fact it initially worked fine. Not helpful.

Having the exact same issues as described in this post.  3 weeks ago no problems.  The last 3 weeks app is virtually useless.  Is there a fix coming?  Or is there a solution?

Spotify licence spotify.lib to Roku who incorporate it into their software. If you are having problems, you should get in touch with Roku support as they may have a solution.

Hello, I have poor music on my Roku2 XS as well, running the latest Roku firmware.  Spotify works fine on win7/web, and on android.  Other music services on Roku also sound fine - Pandora, Slacker, and Amazon Cloud player.  I hear clipping in the songs, consistently.  I am a paying Spotify member, please fix as I want to use Roku on my main living room setup and it needs to be wifey approved!  If this isn't a priority, please let us know, and I will migrate back to Slacker.  Thanks!

@dunbabin wrote:

Hello, I have poor music on my Roku2 XS as well, running the latest Roku firmware.  Spotify works fine on win7/web, and on android.  Other music services on Roku also sound fine - Pandora, Slacker, and Amazon Cloud player.  I hear clipping in the songs, consistently.  I am a paying Spotify member, please fix as I want to use Roku on my main living room setup and it needs to be wifey approved!  If this isn't a priority, please let us know, and I will migrate back to Slacker.  Thanks!

As far as I am aware Roku actually make the Spotify application for their platform, so they are probably the best ones to get in touch with for a solution! 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter wrote:

As far as I am aware Roku actually make the Spotify application for their platform, so they are probably the best ones to get in touch with for a solution! 😉 

That is not true.  Spotify is the developer of the Spotify app on Roku.  And its on the list of supported devices to listen to Spotify. 

Spotify - please fix your app on Roku!

I am having the same problem with Spotify on Roku3. It's the only APP that is "hanging" on Roku. During playback the song will freeze, or get "choppy".

Any fix coming?

I put in a support ticket and got a bs response. I do not have time for this poor quality. I have gone back to slacker who has picked up their game recently. Adios spotify!

Yea, I have the same Roku model, and was wondering if you ever got anywhere with the Spotify channel on Roku providing preferences like, Gapless Playback & Crossfade?

Best,

Guitar 58

I got a response frmo Spotify support suggesting that I chnage my router's DNS entries to the OpenDNS numbers.  I was reluctant to do so, but one day I figured I'd give it a try.  To my surprise it seemed to solve all of my playback problems.  I know Spotify relies heavily on DNS technology, but prefernece for a DNS server seems a little ridiculous.  

i'm also having this same problem. really? no help on this? 

i just went thru my roku and deleted about 12 different channels that are not in use. 

didn't seem to help. 

anyone?!!??

It's happening to me too, on a Roku 3.

It didn't used to be like that...

I tried deleting apps I wasn't using, I tried unplugging and plugging it back in, and the songs keep skipping.

Hi,

I've been in touch with Roku several times about this issue and their advice was finally to dump Spotify and just listen to Pandora.  This was hardly what I was expecting and most unwelcome advice, but if they can't help then they can't help. 

I'm discontinuing my Premiom Spotify service now as I cannot even get Spotify to acknowledge the problem and moving to Slacker, at least for the timebeing.  My hope is that Spotify/Roku will work out a fix as I really enjoy the service (well, when I can listen to it properly that is).

Have a good day.

Suggested posts