Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify playlists and google home issues

Solved!

Spotify playlists and google home issues

Okay i am not sure whats wrong here, i have Spotify premium and google home, i have made 3 playlists on spotify, google home finds songs on spotify easily. The problem is that out of the 3 playlists i created on spotify google home will only find the first playlist not the other ones, i have tried renaming them and all sorts but home just wont find them.

I have spoken to google support and they suggest its a spotify problem.

Any help be great as i will have to cancel sunscription if i can only play 1 list

with thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Very nice! Im glad that worked, I was trying to understand the problem myself. If that didn't work we can try other stuff like which playlists are downloaded or imported from 'Local Files'. I got a bunch of those and it might seem foreign to a device like Google Home.

cheers bro

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

For anyone wondering (I just found this via search, and it was unhelpful), you need to use a different voice command.

Say "okay google play playlist xxx" to play a specific playlist.

For some playlists, like Discover Weekly, you can just say "okay google play discover weekly", but the search matching seems to be off, and sometimes it'll just play a random song or a different playlist. By adding the keyword "playlist", it's been right for me 100% of the time.

However, for personal playlists, there's a tiny problem: It may take a few hours before you can ask it to play a brand new playlist. This is only for personal playlists.

The Google support page has a ton of great info that helped me:

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7342711

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hi, which playlist does it play? If you drag re-order them in Spotify does your Google Home pickup a different playlist?

Hi thanks for that very helpful, you were right for some amazing reason
that i dont have a clue to understanding, i re arranged the playlist now
google home plays them all so problem fixed thanks very much, do you
know why that happened, does the order of the playlists have to be in a
certain format
cheers
Marked as solution

Very nice! Im glad that worked, I was trying to understand the problem myself. If that didn't work we can try other stuff like which playlists are downloaded or imported from 'Local Files'. I got a bunch of those and it might seem foreign to a device like Google Home.

cheers bro

Hello
Was there a solution? I can't see 1

no not really its a nuisance only having 1 playlist

Was there a solution here? I cant play any of my personally made playlists on Google Home

i think that somebody told me you cant have multiple playlists on google home with spotify, so i gave up and cancelled my spotify account as 1 playlist is kind of useless to me

I had same problem. I tried a reboot tna.

What did work, for me, was to:

1) change the default music player

2) unlink Spotify

3) link Spotify

4) change default music player back to Spotify 

Marked as solution

For anyone wondering (I just found this via search, and it was unhelpful), you need to use a different voice command.

Say "okay google play playlist xxx" to play a specific playlist.

For some playlists, like Discover Weekly, you can just say "okay google play discover weekly", but the search matching seems to be off, and sometimes it'll just play a random song or a different playlist. By adding the keyword "playlist", it's been right for me 100% of the time.

However, for personal playlists, there's a tiny problem: It may take a few hours before you can ask it to play a brand new playlist. This is only for personal playlists.

The Google support page has a ton of great info that helped me:

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7342711

Do not use Goolge Home to play "Playlists" on Spotify if you have more that one.  If it does freeze the Spotify app, I solved it by uninstalling the Soptify app from my phone and reinstall.

Worked for me.

FANTASTIC! Thank you so much. The command works like a charm! 

I just got my Google Home. Don't have Spotify Premium but I thought it would play my playlists regardless. This is not happening. It will not recognize any of the playlists in my library. I reordered them. I renamed the main one I listen to, but nothing. I changed the default to Google Play, delinked Spotify, then relinked and set as default. Nothing. The only thing I haven't done is delete the app from my phone or tablet and reinstall.  Every time I ask for a specific playlist......and I am saying "Ok Google, play playlist...." everytime it opens a radio station "like" the playlist I have asked for. It appears to see the music list in my playlist because it will play a station with a song or artist from my playlist, but this is getting aggravting. Any other ideas?

I've been struggling with Google Home not playing SOME Spotify playlists since getting Google Home about a month ago. Most playlists would elicit the error message "something went wrong...". Today I created a new playlist in Spotify for one of these playlists and gave it a new name. I simply "added" the songs from the old playlist to the new. 

Google Home did not recognize the new playlist initially (syncing lag), but after about 10 minutes, it was recognized. Did the same for another problematic playlist and it worked. 

What are you playlist called because when I ask google home to play one of my personal playlist it just plays some random playlist that sound similar. Many it has to be more unique. Thanks

My playlists are very different in how they are named, if that helps.
Classical Favorites, Soft Rock, Acoustic etc. I hope that helps.

did you find a solution?  i'm thinking you have to have Spotify Premium in order for Google Home (Mini in my case) to play specific playlists.  

No I haven't.  I'm beginning to think that may be the issue.....not having a Premium account. It would be nice if there was a FAQ area that addressed these basic issues.  Nothing I have says I need to have a Premium account, and it's frustrating that I can start playing a Playlist on my phone and then broadcast it to my mini or Google Home.  If it's linked to my account, it should play it. Why must I do two steps to accomplish what I want?   Everytime I ask it to play a specific playlist, it doesn't even look for mine.  It just immediately goes the "like" radio route.  Very frustrating. 

I forgot to add....I have created a new and altered the name of the Playlists and still nothing.  One of the Playlists was named 'New Wave', and I think there was a radio station with that name but when I altered the name to the Playlist, it still wouldn't recognize it.  😕

Not sure what my hit rate is going to be, but I've renamed a few of my playlists by putting 'My Tunes' in front of the playlist name and it seems to hold. Instead of totally generic names for playlists, you may want to put some 'identifier' in the playlist name, something easy to speak and flows into your actual playlist name. I am also avoiding hyphens or any other non-alpha characters. So far so good.

For example, I had a playlist called 'The Fixx' and Spotify/Google Home kept queuing up the Spotify autogenerated 'Daily Mix' playlist. I then tried a couple variations and came up with 'My Tunes The Fixx' and it worked.

Suggested posts