Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

SpotifyConnect not finding speaker groups

Solved!
Highlighted

SpotifyConnect not finding speaker groups

Crrump
Casual Listener

Hi, 

I bought 5 JBL Playlist and set them up using Google Home. 

This worked perfectly fine, I can find and play music on all speakers. 

Then I started setting up various groups, the first day this worked perfectly fine as well and I could connect with all of them. 

Somehow when I returned from work the next day, they all disappeared in the spotify app. I still see them in the Google home app but can't connect to them via spotify. 

If I disable wifi they show up for a second and if I'm fast enough I can connect to them before they vanish again. 

All speakers are in the same WiFi and my router is set up to allow communication between devices. 

Well, it worked on day 1 so there wasn't any issue. Now I'm clueless though why they are not showing up anymore any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: SpotifyConnect not finding speaker groups

johndavid

I'm having the same issue, and Spotify support was utterly useless. I used to be able to connect to Google Home speaker groups -- stopped working about a week ago. I also see the speaker groups *briefly* appear when I first connect to WiFi, then they disappear. I think I figured out what's going on (at least in my case). Do you still see the individual speakers in the "connect to a device" list? If so, click the context menu (three dots) next to one the speakers, then select "Google Cast" instead of "Spotify Connect." After I did that, the groups started showing up in the list again.

6 Replies
Solution!

johndavid

I'm having the same issue, and Spotify support was utterly useless. I used to be able to connect to Google Home speaker groups -- stopped working about a week ago. I also see the speaker groups *briefly* appear when I first connect to WiFi, then they disappear. I think I figured out what's going on (at least in my case). Do you still see the individual speakers in the "connect to a device" list? If so, click the context menu (three dots) next to one the speakers, then select "Google Cast" instead of "Spotify Connect." After I did that, the groups started showing up in the list again.

Crrump
Casual Listener

Yeah that's how I fixed it for my android phone. I can "cast" to the groups now. Unfortunately this doesn't work on my girlfriends iPhone. Do you have an android phone? 

Crrump
Casual Listener

Cheers man fixed it! 

abornoz
Casual Listener

I had the same problem, switching one of my Spotify connect device to chromecast solved it.

Something must be wrong with one condition in the code dealing with this device discovery (on iOS; on Android it works fine).  @Spotify, for the sake of troubleshooting here is my current setup

- 3 JBL playlist (Spotify connect)

- 2 sony SRS-ZR5 (Spotify Connect)

- 1 Google home (Chromecast)

- 1 Group will all that

I changed one of the SRS-ZR5 to Google cast as suggested, and the group stopped disapearing

abornoz
Casual Listener

Hum, there is another weird thing ongoing here. I am pretty sure that in the past I could chose per device if I wanted to use Spotify connect or Chromecast. Here when I switch it on one device it does switch for all device capable of doing chromecast.

Should that be the intended behavior the UI is confusing as **bleep**, the three dots shall not be scoped to a device if the setting is broader.

Big_h3aD

Thank you so much, that was bothering me to no end!

SUGGESTED POSTS