Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SpotifyConnect not finding speaker groups

Solved!

SpotifyConnect not finding speaker groups

Hi, 

I bought 5 JBL Playlist and set them up using Google Home. 

This worked perfectly fine, I can find and play music on all speakers. 

Then I started setting up various groups, the first day this worked perfectly fine as well and I could connect with all of them. 

Somehow when I returned from work the next day, they all disappeared in the spotify app. I still see them in the Google home app but can't connect to them via spotify. 

If I disable wifi they show up for a second and if I'm fast enough I can connect to them before they vanish again. 

All speakers are in the same WiFi and my router is set up to allow communication between devices. 

Well, it worked on day 1 so there wasn't any issue. Now I'm clueless though why they are not showing up anymore any ideas? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm having the same issue, and Spotify support was utterly useless. I used to be able to connect to Google Home speaker groups -- stopped working about a week ago. I also see the speaker groups *briefly* appear when I first connect to WiFi, then they disappear. I think I figured out what's going on (at least in my case). Do you still see the individual speakers in the "connect to a device" list? If so, click the context menu (three dots) next to one the speakers, then select "Google Cast" instead of "Spotify Connect." After I did that, the groups started showing up in the list again.

View solution in original post

29 Replies
Marked as solution

I'm having the same issue, and Spotify support was utterly useless. I used to be able to connect to Google Home speaker groups -- stopped working about a week ago. I also see the speaker groups *briefly* appear when I first connect to WiFi, then they disappear. I think I figured out what's going on (at least in my case). Do you still see the individual speakers in the "connect to a device" list? If so, click the context menu (three dots) next to one the speakers, then select "Google Cast" instead of "Spotify Connect." After I did that, the groups started showing up in the list again.

Yeah that's how I fixed it for my android phone. I can "cast" to the groups now. Unfortunately this doesn't work on my girlfriends iPhone. Do you have an android phone? 

Cheers man fixed it! 

I had the same problem, switching one of my Spotify connect device to chromecast solved it.

Something must be wrong with one condition in the code dealing with this device discovery (on iOS; on Android it works fine).  @Spotify, for the sake of troubleshooting here is my current setup

- 3 JBL playlist (Spotify connect)

- 2 sony SRS-ZR5 (Spotify Connect)

- 1 Google home (Chromecast)

- 1 Group will all that

I changed one of the SRS-ZR5 to Google cast as suggested, and the group stopped disapearing

Hum, there is another weird thing ongoing here. I am pretty sure that in the past I could chose per device if I wanted to use Spotify connect or Chromecast. Here when I switch it on one device it does switch for all device capable of doing chromecast.

Should that be the intended behavior the UI is confusing as **bleep**, the three dots shall not be scoped to a device if the setting is broader.

Thank you so much, that was bothering me to no end!

Yes! Changing the group to "Google Cast" instead of "Spotify Connect"  solved the speaker group disappearing problem on my Android phone. The GH speaker group sometimes was showing in the list, and sometimes not, and sometimes also the individual speakers did the same disappearing act.  

This solution does not work for me. All of my devices say Google Cast, and I can still no longer see my speaker groups.

Same for me sometimes they show sometimes not, more often not
Are visible in other music apps

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

We suggest that you restart your router.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Removed all data in the app on my phone and this worked.

Thx

Hey @lexan76,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. 

We're really glad to hear that everything works as expected for you again 🙂

If anything comes up we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have the SAME issue and frequently music will pause, changing frantically, and overall just freeze. It only happens when I use multiple speakers (a.k.a all speakers). Normal play on Spotify is fine just not when it malfunctions during group playback. Any other solutions?

Hey @djahries,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Can you give us more info about your particular set up? What devices are you using and their OS versions + Spotify app versions.

Keep us in the loop.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've been having the same issue for a very long time now. My groups won't show up on my iPhone or on the desktop app. Or rather, some groups show up and others don't. (The ones that showed up before the issues started are fine; the new ones don't register.) This has been going on for months, so I doubt a router restart will fix the issue. Also, as it's happening for me on two different devices and platforms, I'm not sure how much of a cache issue it could be.

This seems to be an ongoing issue for iOS, Android, and macOS—at the very least.

Can you guys please fix it for us?

Hey there @fullmetallotus,

Thanks for reaching out.

Could you let us know if you've already tried the different troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread? It's also worth restarting your router by unplugging it from power for a few seconds to check if that makes a difference.

Also, let us know which specific devices aren't showing up and which devices are.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Five times I've tried to post from two different browsers.

[image: Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.09.12 AM.png]

Hey @fullmetallotus

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We're unable to see the image. Could you try attaching it again? You can use the Insert Photos option in the post editor. 

Also, let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried. This will help us give you better suggestions.

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am unable to post through the web.

EDIT: Now I am. This process is buggy.

I run the latest macOS and iOS. So whatever that is, that's what I'm running. I note this because this has been an issue for MONTHS, so I don't think we can say that it's 10.12.2 issue, or whatever. Likewise, this problem seems to be widespread, just from a simple Google search. 

I am using the latest versions of Spotify available. And again: See above.

The issues are over my WiFi, dealing with my Alexa devices.

You're going to have to define a cache-clearing task-killing app. 

I do not have any SD cards anywhere. This is a good encapsulation of my issue.

It's been happening for months.I create groups, they show up when they want to or not at all. New groups don't show up. Old groups show up when they want to. I don't know what else to say. This is not new and I am not alone in this.

Suggested posts