Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stop webplayer redirecting to desktop app

Stop webplayer redirecting to desktop app

Operating System

Windows 10 / Chrome web browser 88.0.4324.182 

My Question or Issue

A pop-up appeared on the webplayer asking if I wanted it to always redirect to the desktop app when opening a Spotify link on the the browser. I was clicking on something else and accidentally clicked 'yes'. Now every time I open a Spotify link on Chrome, it automatically opens the desktop app as well. How can I revert this? I open Spotify playlists and songs link in my job all the time and it's driving me crazy to have to close the desktop app every time I open a link. 

11 Replies

Hi! Unfortunately this doesn't help. This option is already off, but it regards to auto open on Windows start. My problem is about the web player/browser redirecting links to the desktop app and I can't find an option to turn this off.

Hey there @flots,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

You can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If that doesn't do the trick, try reinstalling the browser.

Let us know how it goes. If you have any questions, we're always a post away.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Already tried clearing cache and cookies, still keeps redirecting 😞

Hi @flots,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Just to confirm, did you try reinstalling the browser? That might do the trick here.

You could also try running a clean reinstall of the desktop app to see if that makes the difference. You just need to follow these steps.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Finally solved it. I had to clear cache and cookies, disconnect from my Google account, disable synchronization, uninstall and reinstall, synchronize again. It stopped redirecting. The issue now is that every time I open something, Chrome shows a pop-up asking me if I want to redirect to the desktop app. I have to press 'cancel' every time. Is there a way to disable this pop-up?

Hey there @flots,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We're glad to know it was sorted and thanks for sharing what worked for you, as it might be helpful for other users too.

On another note, you can block the pop-ups in your browser following these specific steps. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, Eni! Thanks for the quick reply. I tried adding open.spotify.com to the blocked setting, but the pop-up still opens. Here's a screenshot:

flots_0-1615573630741.png

Here's the settings on Chrome:

flots_1-1615573672253.png

Hi again @flots

Thanks for your quick reply!

We tried it on our end and it worked fine. 

In this case, we suggest that you reinstall your browser > restart your device > try again. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, Eni! I tried reinstalling, clearing cache and cookies, setting Spotify on the blocked list, it still always pops up asking me if I want to open the link on the desktop app 😞 really don't know what else to try. Any new ideas?

Hey again @flots,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

It looks like this is expected behavior and the pop up can't be disabled. If you think that other users might find this useful as well, we recommend adding your idea to our ideas board. Others can then vote on it or add to the conversation to show their support. You can find the steps to submit a new idea in this Spotify Answer.

You can also read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

We hope this helps. If you need anything else, we're always a post away.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts