Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stream Keeps Cutting Out

Stream Keeps Cutting Out

I had been using the free version of Spotify and noticed that the stream kept getting interrupted (pausing). At first you'd assume a bandwidth issue my end. Unlikely as I am in a City and have a consistent 10mb connection.

Anyway to be sure I tried a well known UK competitor beginning with D and there was no issue streaming from them.

Must be the free service? So I upgraded to unlimited, still getting an interrupted stream!

I followed the uninstall and cache clearing procedure, the reinstalled and still no joy.

Currently I have a Spotify account that is unlistenable (if that is such a word) and I am having to use D(UK) in the meantime.

Suggestions?

284 Replies

Cliff - Just popped your two posts together.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Thank you for the link.  Here's what I sent to them.  Perhaps if everyone cancelled their payments on the basis it is not fit for purpose they would actually reply or sort it out.

I, like many many others, have an unuseable Spotify service.  Songs stutter and pause.  I notice nobody from your end even acknowledges these issues on the forums.  Rest assured I will *not* be renewing my subscription for a service that doesn't work.

I will not renew my subscription if you cannot be bothered replying (beyond a standard "reinstall everything, change these settings" email which is just stalling and forcing users through useless inconvenience)  I have six computers and an iPhone -. I've reinstalled one system from scratch to no avail.

I will not renew if you do not extend my subscription for free to cover the unuseable period.  I'm not asking for anyhting extra, simply a free period the same as the unuseable period.

You are about to lose a lot of customers.  People are getting angry that they are paying a monthly subscription and not receiving the service they have paid for

Hi guys,

I'm affraid I'll do the same as MarkWall1966. For people like me that have been using the premium service for many months, it's no fair to be told that it's a firewall issue or cache stuff. Are you joking? Don't you see we're doing what you suggest and no solution is achieved?

Fix this or you'll loose a lot of customers, or at least me. Or at least admit there's a problem!!

Don't forget that, to be bothered paying, the comunity can be bothered downloading music for free as they used to do not so long ago...

As recommended on about page 7, I have switched to the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and, so far this morning, have not had a single cut out

Hello Nellie

Do you still have this problem.  I have Ziggo (Holland) and i'm experiencing this

very slow buffering and cutting of stream for several weeks.

Spotify does not react on this matter.

Nice customer service . I have a premium membership  but Spotify does not reply at all

@Erwin-Halmans wrote:

Hello Nellie

Do you still have this problem.  I have Ziggo (Holland) and i'm experiencing this

very slow buffering and cutting of stream for several weeks.

Spotify does not react on this matter.

Nice customer service . I have a premium membership  but Spotify does not reply at all

Yep still the same issues. Using offline playlists saves my day, but don't like paying for premium subscription if this problem keeps on persisting obviously...In the meantime I see that a lot of Ziggo users but never anybody with KPN or UPC in the Netherlands? Strange...

Same problem here... (Aschaffenburg Germany)

Stream gets interrupted. Internet connection is not the problem.

Strange thing is... My neighbor uses free version and doesn't have the same problem.

It is very anoying and I am thinking about quiting spotify the premium account.

The worst part is the fact that Spotify's leaders/spokespersons/engineers all sits quiet and there's no announcement about the progress. I'm still having the problem. My PC is good, I've got 2000 kbit/s and all my other online applications work fine, yet Spotify skips, stutters and lags.

What is being done about this issue? What seems to be the problem causing this? When can we expect this to be done? Will we get some sort of compensation for the flawed product we have been paying for? Something like 6 months of free usage is fitting.

Cliff Contributor Posts: 22 Registered: 04-05-2012 Re: Stream Keeps Cutting Out [ New ] Options Saturday Virgin have set up a page dedicated to this. (finally). They want to hear from virgin customers. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Spotify-Issues/m-p/1241925/message-uid/1241... I'm not a Virgin customer, but have tried to make what Virgin asked you to do. I have a Mac Mini, I am using SydEnergi in Denmark as ISP, and guess it doesn't matter which ISP, you're using.. I found under Netstat : faye.lon.spotify.4070. I then went to Traceroute and made a search, and here's the result: Unknown host. Can anyone explain to me, what it means, and/or if it is that's what causes the cutting out.

I've been having problems with this issue recently (using the Mac OS desktop version).The strange thing is that when I use the iPhone app, streaming to my airport express, I don't get the cutting out. Although I do have problems with syncing playlists being slow intermittently. 

I've been having these issues too for the last two weeks on both, a Ziggo 60Mbit/s business line and a UPC 120Mbit/s line (the Netherlands).  Running OS X 10.7.4.

It's kinda shocking to see how long this thread has been going on now and no reply or real acknowledgement from Spotify whatsoever. I guess it's time to reconsider my Premium account.

Hey kevin,

I got a reply from spotify support:

Hi there Rallufff, thanks for getting in touch,

This issue has been highlighted with Ziggo so they are aware of this issue, 

But as they are not an official parter of ours we cannot say of definite when a fix may be put into place.

We will be back in touch when we have more information on this.
Kind Regards, 
Darren 
But u also have the problems with upc? So spotify is highlighting all providers where the problems are, but not coming with a fix themselves?

Same here. Premium user on an iMac, OS X Leopard 10.5.8 using Spanish Movistar optical fiber connection of 50 Mg.

A few days ago, songs pause and restart at random. I uninstalled Spotify, installed it again and worked fine for a couple of days. Now, it started again with the pauses. I followed the advise given here of unckecking the "streaming in high quality" and now it seems to work well, but it's a pity to use low quality being a premium user.

I wonder if it has something to do with Movistar connection of optical fiber since the problems started after its installation. The connexion is fast and stable, though.

Regards.

Same problem as well. Stream is cutting out on iPhone iPad en iMac . Isp ziggo told me they do not know any issue. For me almost time to stop contributing my premium membership!

Same problem here, fast internet from Ziggo. Random very anoying stutter. I am very interested in a sollution. Why does Spotify offer a solution.

It's very irritating and i am thinking about cancelling my premium spotify account if there comes no sollution.

Come on spotify you can do better. It was good but it something went very very wrong

What happens if you mark the list as available for offline before you play it?

rallufff: I'm having the same problems on UPC indeed. Mostly in the evenings and nights. 

What annoys me the most about this problem is the lack of acknowledgement by Spotify. This thread is now 16 pages long and Spotify just keeps pointing their fingers to the ISP's. Every other streaming service that I use works perfect, including Netflix through a vpn and since we are now having a net neutrality law here I can also say with 99% certainty that Spotify is not being throttled by Ziggo nor UPC.

"here I can also say with 99% certainty that Spotify is not being throttled by Ziggo nor UPC."  Seems very logic to me too as all other services work perfect on my connection.. Anyhow, ziggo replied to my message as spotify told me the problem was highlighted at ziggo:

Geachte heer Van den Bor,

Uit onze gegevens blijkt dat er geen storing bekend is omtrent Spotify. Wij verzoeken u telefonisch contact op te nemen met de Klantenservice zodat ze enkele tests met u kunnen uitvoeren om proberen te achterhalen wat de oorzaak van het probleem is.

Onze excuses voor het ongemak.

Heeft u nog vragen? Ga dan naar www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice voor informatie over onze producten en diensten. Stel hier uw vraag ook eens aan Tess, onze virtuele medewerkster. Zij staat 24 uur per dag voor u klaar.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Ralph Janssen
Medewerker Klantenservice

For english users: Here the ziggo support guy tells me that they are not aware of the problem and they request me to call support to run a couple of tests, will do that soon.

I'm having the same problem. Spotify is becomming frustratingly un-usable. I get problems on my iMac, Macbook, iPhone, iPad and even Windows 7 at work.

Seriously considering leaving Spotify. What's the point paying £9.99 a month for a service that doesn't work

Spotify - your customers are angry and you are sat their doing NOTHING! 

Hi all

Here is my latest response from Spotify support

::Thanks again for getting in touch with us.
We would like to tell you that we have been working with some ISPs to fix the problem that you were facing and to add to the joy, we have just recently launched the latest updated Spotify app for desktops few hours back. So bingo!
Now, we would request you to please try and perform a clean reinstall of Spotify app using our latest app. You can download it by visiting here at: http://www.spotify.com/us/blog/
On this page scroll down and click on the blue link "here" and it will start your download.

Needless to say it hasn't worked.

Best

Clive (b8sso)

Suggested posts