Support for the Huawei AI Cube

• Country

United Kingdom

Device

Huawei AI Cube

Operating System

Amazon Alexa

My Question or Issue

As I currently understand it there is no support for playing Spotify through the Huawei AI Cube, which contains Amazon Alexa. Is there any intention for this to be rectified? As I understand it there was a similar issue with Sonos devices with Alexa when it first came out, but subsequently has been supported. Is this an issue for Spotify, Amazon or Huawei?

9 Replies

Hello @Rigard 

Thanks for getting in touch!

The device you are trying to use is currently not supported. We are always trying to expand to new devices so support might come in the future. We can't say when however.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I agree, Alexa support suggests the full range of services but the music app i pay for not supported please rectify

For me it's been over 4 months since this issue has been brought to the supports teams attention how can it take so long to rectify the issue?

Hi, I've managed to get Sonos to work with the Huawei AI Cube. However, the command you would give an Alexa Dot/Echo, is different compared to the AI Cube, in that you have to specifically say the Group your preferred speakers are in. 

Assuming that the two devices below are registered correctly and that you have setup your preferred music service  with the Amazon Alexa device (I use Spotify).

My configuration is as follows and is a standard setup:

• My Alexa Dot is located in the Master Bedroom (device name is 'Alexa Master Bedroom').
  • Group created in the Alexa app, named 'House', my default Alexa device being 'Alexa Master Bedroom'.
  • Added my preferred speakers to the group, in my case; 2 x Sonos Play 5s (stereo pair) and 1 x Play One.

If I give the command 'Alexa...play some music', whilst in the Master Bedroom, Alexa plays music accordingly using Spotify.

Currently, you cannot create a group for an  Ai Cube, as it is not seen as  an  Alexa enabled device.

My Huawei AI Cube is setup in the Living Room. If I say the same command 'Alexa...play some music', the device plays music through its own speaker and not Sonos. However, if I say 'Alexa...play some music in House', music is played through my Sonos system. All music related commands work with this setup.

This appears to be a workaround using an Amazon device, as opposed to the AI Cube being supported correctly by the Alexa architecture.

I have a HuWei AI cube and a selling point to me was that along with being a WiFi router, I could connect my Spotify and play music. 

I can not work out how to do this. I have no other WiFi speakers. Just this one. 

Has anyone else managed it?

According to Huwaei, the AI Cube does not currently support Spotify Music Services.  However, the solutiion I have given above, definitely works for Sonos - I'm currently using this setup to play music using Spotify. 

As far as I am aware Spotify does not work on this device, which is a huge
disappointment as I was also told it would work just like my Alexa already
does.

I contacted Amazon, huawei and Spotify on this issue all of which did not
really seem to care and just blamed each other for the problems.

6 or so months later nothing has changed.

Hi folks, not sure if I’m stating the obvious or if this suggestion doesn’t work for how you may be trying to use Spotify & your A1 Cube but I have successfully been able to connect my iphone xr using the spotify app & pairing my A1 Cube via bluetooth. I have the Huwauwei app or however it’s spelled but it doesn’t tell you how to turn on bluetooth to pair. Using Alexa, ask her to - Alexa Pair  -  & this will make your cube search for your bluetooth device providing it’s switched on and is in the can be found mode/state. If it is a mobile or tablet then I would think you may be able to connect quite simply. Now I know it’s nowhere near as good as being on a network to pair with because that is truely the most desireable way so you could have your device a distance away from your cube if desired even using wifi extenders etc. Pairing via bluetooth has allowed me to use Spotify with the cube. I hope this helps some of you who were as dissapointed as I was to find the non compatibility issue with Spotify through wifi connectivity & the A1 Cube. Hopefully the powers that be will be able to create an update to allow connectivity in future. I’m not a techy type so I don’t understand ehat either isn’t there within the hardware or if something is operating in a certain way which is preventing the app from working. If anyone could reply to this aspect in laymans terms then that would also be very interesting to know.

I also got an AI Cube and request it to be supported by Spotify, just like other Alexa-driven devices.

Suggested posts