Premium (family account)

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 running spotify App

connected to Raspberry Pi 3B+ running Volumio with Spotify connect

My Question or Issue

Hi,

for hearing music I use a streaming client (volumio). This streaming client has spotify connect installed. 

For selecting the music I want to hear I use a Android tablet, I select a song and I use the option to play this song on another device (Spotify connect). This worked perfectly for months.

But since a few days it is not possible any more to swith from a playing song to another song on an other playlist. When I try this it stcks for a moment and then it play the same song. When I want to hear another song I now have to disconnect and play the music on the tablet, then I can switch e.g. to another playlist and then I can connect the streaming client again.

I have checked/resetted/reinstalled nearly everthing within my LAN but the problem still exists - do you have an idea?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I found a workaround now.

In Volumio I used the plugin 'Volumio Spotify Connect2' - I've replaced this plugin by the older version 'Volumio Spotify Connect ver1.7.6'. With this the problem with the switching between songs seems to be solved, but I don't know if this solution has other disadvantages?!

The Steps to replace the plugin are:

1. Deinstall 'Volumio Spotify Connect2'

2. Activate ssh if it is not already active. Goto to the volumio Web-UI and add '/DEV' to the URL. For me the URL for the volumio Web-UI looks like

http://<IP of volumio>/playback

I replace '/playback' by '/DEV' and then I'am able to activate/deactive ssh.

3. Open a terminal in volumio. I use PUTTY for that. Login with UserId volumio, Password volumio.

4. Deinstall of the plugin 'Volumio Spotify Connect2' didnt work properly for me, so I navigated to directory /data/plugins/music_service. It still contained a directory 'volspotconnect2' - I have deleted it.

5. Next I installed 'the old plugin' volspotconnect following the description found under https://github.com/balbuze/volumio-plugins/blob/master/plugins/music_service/volspotconnect/readme.m...

(here you can skip step '1. Enable SSH and connect to Volumio' and start with step '2. Download and install the plugin'

6. Go again to Web-Ui, Plugins Management and maintain the settings for the plugin 'Volumio Spotify Connect ver1.7.6'.

7. Reboot Volumio

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Samsung J3 with Spotify

Laptop W7 running Spotify

Connected to Raspberry Pi 3B+ running Volumio with Spotify connect2

Problem:

Very similair issue here. My setup has worked flawlessly for months. Since a day or two I have these problems.

Symptoms:

- when I play music on the phone's speaker and change the output device to my volumio box, it used to just continu playing on volumio. Now since a day or two it starts playing the song from the beginning again after the connection to volumio was made

- When I start to play a song through my volumio device the song plays fine. When its finsihed the next song starts playing etc. However I can not select another song anymore. When I do so, the current song starts again from the beginning, regardless of which song I choose. I can stop the song, close spotify, reopen it, same issue.

- Playing music on the phone's speaker works fine

So far i tried:

- using spotify on my laptop instead of my phone> no change, so likely not an issue with the spotify app

- updating volumio to the latest version> no change

- complete fresh volumio installation (using the same version that worked perfect for months)> no change, so not an issue with my volumio installation

- restore from a backup disc image from volumio that is know to work (in the past)> no change

Since my volumio has not been updated or changed in any way, it must be somehow related to a recent spotify update in my opinion. As only playback through volumio is affected, it seems something has changed in the way spotify talks to external devices.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Marked as solution

I found a workaround now.

In Volumio I used the plugin 'Volumio Spotify Connect2' - I've replaced this plugin by the older version 'Volumio Spotify Connect ver1.7.6'. With this the problem with the switching between songs seems to be solved, but I don't know if this solution has other disadvantages?!

The Steps to replace the plugin are:

1. Deinstall 'Volumio Spotify Connect2'

2. Activate ssh if it is not already active. Goto to the volumio Web-UI and add '/DEV' to the URL. For me the URL for the volumio Web-UI looks like

http://<IP of volumio>/playback

I replace '/playback' by '/DEV' and then I'am able to activate/deactive ssh.

3. Open a terminal in volumio. I use PUTTY for that. Login with UserId volumio, Password volumio.

4. Deinstall of the plugin 'Volumio Spotify Connect2' didnt work properly for me, so I navigated to directory /data/plugins/music_service. It still contained a directory 'volspotconnect2' - I have deleted it.

5. Next I installed 'the old plugin' volspotconnect following the description found under https://github.com/balbuze/volumio-plugins/blob/master/plugins/music_service/volspotconnect/readme.m...

(here you can skip step '1. Enable SSH and connect to Volumio' and start with step '2. Download and install the plugin'

6. Go again to Web-Ui, Plugins Management and maintain the settings for the plugin 'Volumio Spotify Connect ver1.7.6'.

7. Reboot Volumio

Thank you sir so it works perfectly!

Thanks. Worked after I changed :

cd ./volspotconnect2

to:

cd ./volspotconnect

because Terminal said: no such directory

After that I could finish installation.

Kind regards KK

Yes, so perfect!

Suggested posts