Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The New Spotify Web Player Interface: Pretty, Streamlined, and Useless.

The New Spotify Web Player Interface: Pretty, Streamlined, and Useless.

I opened up play.spotify.com at work today, and was redirected to a brand new web player that I didn't ask for. It looked awesome. This new web player was sleek and modern. I found a bunch of new playlists waiting for me in the discover section, with new music tailored to my tastes. I loved that! The new sidebar seemed a bit barebones, but on closer inspection, everything had just been consolidated. I've been using it on and off throughout the day, and come evening, I'm less enamored.

Saving songs to my library is actually more tedious now. I've completely lost the ability to rename my playlists. I'd like to say that I lost the ability to share my playlists as well, but that feature never functioned properly in the first place. Heck, pretty much all playlist functionality is now gone from the web player. On top of that, the social features of Spotify seem to have been removed completely. I can't find any of my friends on the web player.

At the end of this day, I'm left with one bewildering question: Spotify, why did you downgrade every feature that your web player offered? I'd like to be very clear that I'm not just stating an unhappy opinion here: Features have literally been removed and made more tedious to use(it takes more clicks to add a song to my library than before). I'm a fan of how this new web player looks, but everything else... What are you doing with your product 😕

0 Replies

Suggested posts