NEXT STEP

Two artists share the same name in Spotify's database

Two artists share the same name in Spotify's database

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Issue

Chrome (the post-punk band) and a gangster rapper named Chrome share the same page on spotify, because they have the same name in the database. As a result, Spotify's autoplay at the end of an album by the post-punk band (Dreaming in Sequence) jumped me to an album by the gangster rapper named Straight To The Pros - Dragged N Chopped , which is entirely different music!

There seems to have been a post in 2012 about a similar issue, with Spotify's answer providing a link to some place where I should report it, but this link doesn't work anymore.

I hope this helps resolve this issue. Thanks in advance!

5 Replies

Hello @colfrog!

I'd recommend checking out this Support article for more info on how to report tracks with wrong info and content errors.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with and have a nice day 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Does this actually work for anyone?  I've been complaining about this for years and used to send meta data errors through the app when that was an option but that is gone now.  The issue is getting worse if anything. 

My Release Radar has at least 5 songs every week from artists that don't belong in the genres I listen to.   I know Spotify can figure this out because they rarely, if ever, show up in the "you might like..." lists.  It's a pain in the ass to block the songs every week when Spotify should have no trouble figuring out that I would not like these songs.

Usually these are gangster rap garbage that "collaborates" with an artist name that matches an artist in the Hard Rock/Metal genre, but it's getting to the point where I don't recognize the "collaborator" name either.  This makes me wonder if these artists are paying Spotify to spam their way into Release lists or just spamming collaborator names to spray their distribution all over Spotify.

Hey there @MetalRayzor,

Thank you for your post and feedback. We're sorry to hear that you experience this.

In this case we suggest that you have a look at the article that @Jose_M provided.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi the moderator,

Thank you for your suggestion the last time I posted this issue but it was not the least bit helpful.  I've been paying for Spotify for 5 years and the ability to suggest corrections to genres used to be available in the context menus but that is long gone.  Your suggestion to jump through the ridiculous hoops described by @Jose_M confirms my notion that Spotify is being payed to add garbage to my Release Radar that doesn't fit my listening habits.

This week, out of 30 songs, at least 9 were shitty gansta rap or weird island mariba world music.  No other generated list on Spotify adds any of**bleep** into my feed.  This confirms my notion that Spotify is being paid to add this garbage to my feed and it serves no purpose than to annoy me and make money for Spotify.

I'm willing to put the effort in to correct legitimate misplaced content but Spotify is obviously making this more difficult that it should be.  #Payola 

Hey @MetalRayzor,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We're currently looking into reports, similar to yours in this thread. We'd appreciate it if you share with us there the URIs of artists that appear in your Release Radar and are not the ones you follow. You can find instructions on how to bring up a Spotify URI here. It would also help us a lot if you mention in your post, if at the time your Release Radar got compiled, both artist had dedicated Artist pages.

We know that such issues can cause some frustration and thank you for the cooperation in advance. The more reports we gather of instances where this is happening, the quicker we'll be able to find a solution. 

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts