Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to cast Spotify from Google Home to Android TV

Solved!

Unable to cast Spotify from Google Home to Android TV

When I tell Google Home to play music on Android TV, it says there is an issue and cannot do it.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have a Sony 4k TV and a few days earlier i got a system update. Now I can control Spotify with my Google home. So nice 

I think this pooblem will be solved on all TV's with the upcoming introduction of the Google assistant on Android TV's, later this year. 

But if you have an Sony Android TV and got an system update it should work right now.

Finally

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

At the time when this was first opened there was no abililt to cast from the Home to Google TV only to Chromecast which was our main issue. They've since fixed it and I know I and many others can now cast properly,

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hi @bstewart! Thanks for writing on the Community.

Can you let us know the firmware and Spotify version of your Android TV? Also, try restarting your WiFi router to see if this helps.

Keep us posted. 

Hey @bstewart!

Are you still experiencing the same? Let us know how did it go with the steps @JuanSebastian provided.

Keep us updated 🙂

I'm having the same issue. Adnroid TV 6.01 on the Mibox 3 and spotify version 1.0.0.

According to Google, it's impossible to cast Spotify from Google Home to Android TV devices.

I'm not sure why, and it would be great if this was resolved.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7030086?hl=en

I'll go ahead and add to this:

HW: MiBox MDZ-16-AB - Android TV Version 6.0.1 - Spotify Version 1.2.0

The Mi Box and the Google Home are connected to the same network.

Casting to the Mi Box from the Google Home using another app (like YouTube) works perfectly.

The Mi Box shows up in the Spotify Android app on my phone as a Spotify Connect device, but not a Google Cast device.

I say to my Google Home: "OK Google, play music in the bedroom." , the google home responds with "Sorry, something went wrong". Spotify is linked correctly and is set as the Default Provider.

Other audio services (such as Google Play Music) cast fine to the Mi Box.

Spotify plays fine on the google home itself. 

It looks like the spotify Android TV app does not support casting, which causes this problem. 

It would be awesome to get the Spotify Android TV app updated to support casting.

Just got my Google Home and having the same issue, other things can cast to my Shield Android TV but spotify seems to not be able to

i have the same issue. Spotify can not be cast from google home to tv..

Have the same Issue on a Sony 4K TV in Android 7.
I think the TV Spotify app doesn't support Google cast and only Spotify Connect.
Please Fix

Same issue with a Sony Bravia Android TV (as already reported), it seems Android TV is actually worse than a "dumb" chromecast when it comes to Google Home.

It's disapointing, Netflix do have the same issue, and probably Google Photos too (not sure if it's only me for that one), at the end of the day, the only thing working is Youtube.

I'm not sure Spotify is to blame for this, it could also just be google/Android TV that tries to do weird things when detecting a cast from an app that is (in theory) supported by Android TV.

Same here. Got Google home at launch.

Since Google Assistant just came out for Android TV, I tried playing Spotify via assistant on the shield directly, still got the same error message.

As someone mentioned above, Google does mention it's not supported. Frustrating.

Spoiler

The following devices can play audio from Google Home:

1. Chromecast
  2. Chromecast Audio
  3. TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in. Note: TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in and Android TVs must be using Cast version 1.21+. This functionality will be rolling out to most devices in the next few months. Here's how to check which firmware version you're using.
  4. Android TV devices. Note: Currently, you can't cast Spotify to Android TV devices. 

• Same issue here, with my Nvidia shield TV. Works perfect when casting from Phone but not with Google home. But with chromecast it works... Annoying, primary reason to stick with Google play music instead of Spotify Premium //Mats 

When will this issue be resolved? 

Just bought a Sony 4K Android TV and got the same issue? Who should solve this, Sony, Spotify or Google and is there any progress on this?

Marked as solution

I have a Sony 4k TV and a few days earlier i got a system update. Now I can control Spotify with my Google home. So nice 

I think this pooblem will be solved on all TV's with the upcoming introduction of the Google assistant on Android TV's, later this year. 

But if you have an Sony Android TV and got an system update it should work right now.

Finally

I get this a lot, just requesting home to play music. I'm on satellite broadband and this seems to be the problem. What works for me every time is when home reports something went wrong is make the same request immediately. I imagine it is to do with the lag, asking it again seems to pick up the stream that home has aborted due to time out. You need to be quick though, if you leave a definite gap you'll get the same response again.

Marked as solution

At the time when this was first opened there was no abililt to cast from the Home to Google TV only to Chromecast which was our main issue. They've since fixed it and I know I and many others can now cast properly,

I can't play spotify from google home.   The assistant says it will do it, but I cannot hear anything.  I have unlinked and linked my spotify account to no joy... Help

Suggested posts