Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to connect to sportify through Sonos

Solved!

Unable to connect to sportify through Sonos

Hi!
I purchased and installed a sonos play:3 this friday (November 1st). I have used it to listen to Spotify without any (major) problems. However, last night it stopped working.

It wasn't able to conenct to Spotify all of a sudden. I tried a "re-authorization" which didn't work so I removed spotify from the sonos app. Now I can't re-connect. In fact, I am not even brought to the page where I'm supposed to login, I just get an error message prompting me to contact Spotify if the problem remains (which it does).

Spotify works on my Ipad and other devices, just not through Sonos. Sonos works with other online services (eg. Napster Rhapsody) through the Ipad.

So, in essence: no problem with Spotify, no problem with Sonos, no problem with the Ipad. Everything is connected to the same network. It just won't play together. What should I do?

Thank you!
Martin

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I called Sonos customer support and got great help over the phone. Don't know what the problem acctually was (wasn't related to that whole Facebook login thing everybody is talking about) but they solved it through remote controlling my PC. So now I'm as happy as ever!

For others who have the same problem (or other problems for that matter) I really must advise you to call their help line. Their opening hours are not the best but the level of knowledgeability and service is great. They do charge a premium for their products and I'm happy to say that the customer service is up to par.

All the best,

Martin

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Hey Martin, welcome to the Community.

This sounds related to the issue Sonos are aware of at the moment. They've been pointing users to this workaround, which seems to be working.

P.S. I'm going to move this over to our Other/Partner board, hope you don't mind!

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Thank you for your reply Adam,

I'll be sure to try this when I get back home.

Other/Partner seems like an appropriate place for the question. I am not very familiar with this forum so thank you for moving it.

Do you (or anyone else) know whether there are regularly problems using Spotify on Sonos? It seems as though this issue has been there for a while now (seeing that the workaround was posted last week) and appearently the original question is a few months old so this seems to be a re-occuring thing.

I ask because the only reason I bought Sonos was to listen to Spotify as hassle-free as possible - and I am really happy with the experience for the few days it was working properly. That being said, the return policy is still valid so if this type of problems is common, I'll return them.

Thank you for any feedback!

Martin

I can't speak for exactly how often it comes up with Sonos themselves, but login/authentification issues like this are pretty rare, especially this big. You just got really unlucky with your timing!

But that whole device ID/password workaround on that page was how all users had to log into Sonos until relatively recently, so things are definitely better than they were, ha.

Let me know if you're still having problems though. Spotify on Sonos is awesome when it works (as you've seen!).

Yeah, I guess I was a bit unlucky there. Doesn't help the fact that I'm extremely disappointed with this. And since the problem has been around for a week (!) now, according to the workaround, I doubt they are even working on solving it.

Anyway, the suggested workaround didn't work for me, despite repeating it twice. The problem isn't that Sonos won't accept my credentials when logging in on Spotify, I never even get the chance to enter them. This is what happens on my IPad:

I click on 'cog wheel' and then 'manage services', 'available services' and I chose Spotify. A pop-up appears asking if I have an account or not. I've tried both options.

'I have an account': I get an authorization error (before entering credentials) prompting me to check my internet connection and retry and if the problem remain I'm asked to contact Spotify for help. Internet connection works fine and well.

'I don't have an account': Prompts me to create an account and then click next. Clicking next brings me to the same error message as described above.

Has anyone else encountered this and managed to solve it? I don't even know where to start since I don't see how there can be a problem with authorization of an account before even trying to log into said account...

Thank you all,

Martin

Just to check - it's only via Sonos you're having problems? Logging into Spotify on your iPad and streaming via iPad speakers is all okay?

If it's a problem before entering login details though, there's not much we can do from our end, I'm afraid. If your Internet connection is definitely okay (and you can stream other apps on your Sonos), it's worth getting in touch with Sonos here.

Internet conenction is working.

Spotify works nicely with my Ipad.

Sonos can play music from Napster Rhapsody.

So I'm back where I was before purchasing the Sonos speakers - listening to Spotify on my Ipad...

Thanks for your help anyway!

Martin

Marked as solution

I called Sonos customer support and got great help over the phone. Don't know what the problem acctually was (wasn't related to that whole Facebook login thing everybody is talking about) but they solved it through remote controlling my PC. So now I'm as happy as ever!

For others who have the same problem (or other problems for that matter) I really must advise you to call their help line. Their opening hours are not the best but the level of knowledgeability and service is great. They do charge a premium for their products and I'm happy to say that the customer service is up to par.

All the best,

Martin

Thanks for posting back and good to know they got you up and running 🙂

Martin,

You don't have an incident number I could relay to them do you? I have the same problem and after speaking to 2 seperate people at Sonos and spending 1.5 hours on the phone it is still not fixed. Napster and RDIO work fine just not spotify so I am going to have to close my spotify account if this can't be fixed.

@lankini wrote:

All the best,

Martin

Hi, I've just bought the sonos system and have been really happy with everything, but today I moved a speaker and now I can't connect to spotify!
It kept saying that it couldn't connect.
I removed the app and tried to reinstall but all I get is
ERROR
Device linking has failed...
Please how did customer support help you, I don't have a PC only a phone and iPad .

Hello,

At this moment i can not connect spotify with sonos. It worked fine but 2 hours ago it disconnected. I have deleted the connection and try to reconnect. Unfortunaly it's says to contact spotify.

Please help

Rogier Verhoeff

Gebruikersnaam:

Hello, I'm having the same problem. Spotify will not connect through my two sonos systems.

Sonos tweeted to say they are aware of the issue and working on it:

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Martin, do you have any more info from Sonos on how this was solved. I have been without Spotify for over 2 months on Sonos. Sonos support has taken control of my system 3 times in that period, and tbey don't know how to solve it. It is not the fault of Spotify, but I am getting zero use just now, so I will have to cancell.

Hi Apricale,

Sonos customer service help me out. Great guys, over there. They accessed my computer and solved the problem. The problem wasn't at my end, but they did something. The problem was solved and has not re-appearded since - I couldn't be happier with it! Good luck, I really hope things work out for you as well!!

Cheers,

Martin

thanks for the link - unfortuantely sonos says not authorized to view the content - so useless info - this is 2015 and still no progress - SONOS get your act together already

I frequently have this problem with Sonos failing to connect. Would value any concrete information on exact cause of problem & how to resolve.

I had a power failure yesterday since I cant play Spotify on my Sonos. I have deleted and rebuild the connection with success. But it fails to play a song on sonos.
On Spotify it works...
Please help. For me it is useless without Spotify.

I was not able to connect to spotify through Sonos as it wouldn't recognise my credentials, even though I could go to the Spotify website and sign in there.  I couldn't figure what was going on as the "sign in with facebook" was not appearing.

Eventually realised that my iphone had BlockBear running, which blocked the facebook 'button' from appearing.  After switching that off, it all worked like it should have!

So if anyone is trying through ipad, or iphone and has any ad-blocking app installed and you can't sign in to spotify on Sonos, try disabling it for a bit.

Every little helps!

Suggested posts