Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Update for Windows Phone users

Update for Windows Phone users

In 2017 we confirmed Spotify for Windows Phone had been placed into maintenance mode.

We want to make current Spotify for Windows Phone users aware that the maintenance mode status is ending in 2019. Windows Phone users will not be able to use Spotify on previously supported Windows Phones with full functionality.

We’ll be winding down the app over a 3-month period, starting December 10th. During this time, functionality of the app will disappear – including the ability to search - and it will eventually stop working.

The following are the system requirements for using Spotify and accessing Spotify content through the Spotify app can be found here.”

52 Replies

An another possibility is to move to DEEZER. I try it and it works well... So by by Spotify...

ok. My subscription will disappear as well...

spotify sucks

@TrebroNorberT wrote:

ok. My subscription will disappear as well...

spotify sucks

Still don't understand why Spotify stops with a part of Windows and don't make a UWP app "stupid"! 

I recommend Deezer as this seems to be the one of the few platforms that works consistenly well across all the devices I own.

Good news! There's an unofficial app that works!

Unofficial Spotify player (Web wrapper) UWP - is (almost) brilliant http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/23417_Unofficial_Spotify_player_Web_.php 

Unofficial Spotify player (Web wrapper) https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N225ZTQPB6K 

Microsoft Groove Update

If you were thinking of using Groove to stream your music, Microsoft have just put a spanner in that as they have announced...

On 31 March 2019, Groove Music OneDrive streaming support will be retired. Your personal music files will continue to be available in OneDrive. You can keep listening to your music by using the OneDrive web player or by downloading your files and playing them in the Groove Music app......

With this change, music collections and playlists stored in the Groove Music service will no longer be synchronised after 31 March 2019 and will be deleted from the service only within 30 days. Your music collection and playlists will remain stored on your device by the Groove Music application

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4487598/groove-music-onedrive-streaming-faq?ocid=ema_rmc_gr...

Microsoft sold Groove assets to Spotify last year.

Reading between the lines at Microsoft, it seems they have not withdrawn Windows Mobile due to lack of interest, but problems they perceived, It seems they wanted more seamless integration between desktop and Mobile. Do recall the criticism they received for their original Surface Tablets. Because they ran on ARM processors, and not Intel compatibles ones, making few applications available for them. Then they eventually came out with Universal Windows Apps in which you could make applications for both desktop, and mobile, Apparently that had issues also. Notice recently they now have Windows 10 available on ARM processors. Even special free versions available for Small Board Computers such as the Raspberry Pi.

There is talk of a new Windows 10 called Andromeda which will run on both Intel and ARM systems, thus eliminating the need to have multiple versions of an application. There are even rumors of Microsoft coming out with a device which they will call a "digital assistant" which acts like both a tablet, and a cell phone. Suppose to even fold up.

If this is the case, then I welcome the demise of Windows 10 Mobile if it means a better experience in the future on mobile devices.

@GeekBoy03 wrote:

Reading between the lines at Microsoft, it seems they have not withdrawn Windows Mobile due to lack of interest, but problems they perceived, It seems they wanted more seamless integration between desktop and Mobile. Do recall the criticism they received for their original Surface Tablets. Because they ran on ARM processors, and not Intel compatibles ones, making few applications available for them. Then they eventually came out with Universal Windows Apps in which you could make applications for both desktop, and mobile, Apparently that had issues also. Notice recently they now have Windows 10 available on ARM processors. Even special free versions available for Small Board Computers such as the Raspberry Pi.

There is talk of a new Windows 10 called Andromeda which will run on both Intel and ARM systems, thus eliminating the need to have multiple versions of an application. There are even rumors of Microsoft coming out with a device which they will call a "digital assistant" which acts like both a tablet, and a cell phone. Suppose to even fold up.

If this is the case, then I welcome the demise of Windows 10 Mobile if it means a better experience in the future on mobile devices.

I'm or better; We're waiting for Windows 10 Andromeda as well😎 But till then, Windows users have no other options and so it's still stupid from @spotify to turn their back to us! 

Yes, there's the Spotify Web Player

@_s_e_b_b_i_ wrote:

Yes, there's the Spotify Web Player

.....which rather inconveniently has such limited functionality on w10m that you might as well say  it doesn't work! Unless you mean the unofficial UWP, which has  more functionality but doesn't always work?

I think (and it would appear most other windows phone users do too) that your more than happy to take the money from us for Spotify, but then deliver nothing, how much of a refund are we going to get for a service that you can no longer be bothered with, but which you are more than happy to take payment for?

This is an utter joke and you should (and will be) reported for charging for a service which you do not supply.

Remember the old days when we just downloaded music from Napster? Strongarm tactics to force us to get different devices has me thinking about going back to that type of thing.  Seriously... I just tweeted about you guys not supporting OS10.9... My main computer at home that I listen to music out of doesn't HAVE the ability to do 10.10. Such a pain in the but... I know alot of this is you not being able to work things out with the manufacturers... so I know its a hard thing on all sides... but to us that actually pay you a premium every month... you take things away from us... you barely give enough back to the artists that we are listening AND you force us to spends gobs of money to change devices just so we can use your service... well from a sales standpoint that just doesn't sound so great for us paying users... 

And I know you might be thinking... he's not even talking about the subject heading regarding Spotify not supporting windows phones... well actually yes... I am.  I'd really like an explanation, instead of a blantant.... there it is... take it or leave type thing.  Have some respect for your users and maybe offer an actual reason why you are ending service for these phones... if its a problem in which windows won't do something you need for your app to work... then tell your windows phones users so that they can presure the folks at windows to change thier tune, or we'll drop our windows phones. 

Don't just leave your customers in the dark... give us paying users reasons why you are ending support for different OS and different devices. Its a lot more respectful. 

Suggested posts