Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume level is inconsistent when playing in other devices

Volume level is inconsistent when playing in other devices

Plan:

Premium

Device:

• Lenovo Smart Clock
  • Google Next Wifi Point

My Question or Issue:

I own a Lenovo Smart Clock and a Google Nest Wifi Point and I attempt to stream Spotify on them, the sound volume is sometimes really high in some songs and really low in others and it oscillates between high and low randomly while playing different songs.

Things I've tried:

• Playing all sorts of songs, but it happens consistently in both of these devices. I actually own a Google Nest Hub and a Chromecast with Google TV and streaming music plays just fine.
  • Changing wifi configurations and even placing the devices right next to the router and nothing changes.
  • Streaming from different devices but it doesn't change anything.

Is this a known issue? Can anyone help me try to fix this problem?

25 Replies

Hi there @Gespinha

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Could you let us know if this is only happening while you're using the Connect feature/Bluetooth or when you're streaming directly on your device as well?

Additionally, could you check in the app settings that the Normalize volumen option is toggled on?

We'll be waiting for your reply!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

I listen to Spotify using the Connect features because the Google Nest Wifi Point has no screen and the Lenovo Smart Clock only displays what is playing and my playlist once Connect is enabled on my phone.

I have checked and the Normalize feature is actually enabled.

Thanks!

Hey @Gespinha

Thanks for your quick reply. 

We suggest keeping the app updated to its latest version to ensure optimal performance. It's well worth running a clean reinstall by following these steps to see if that helps.

If that doesn't do the trick, would you mind sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your phone?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

I've tried that in both my devices. I'm connecting to the Google Nest Wifi Point and the Lenovo Smart Clock via:

• iPad Mini 2 (using iOS v12.5.1 and Spotify v8.5.96.967)
  • Pixel 3a (using Android v11 Spotify v8.5.96.936).

I've also tried disabling the Normalize feature to see if it helps, but nothing changed.

Thanks

Hi @Gespinha

Thanks to getting back in touch. 

We suggest that you check out if there are any firmware updates available for your devices. We recommend having the latest updates to ensure optimal performance.

Also, could you check if the issue persists when the devices you mentioned aren't connected through the Google Nest WiFi?

Keep us posted!

EniModerator

Hi,

I've updated all devices to the most updated firmware version and I've had them all connected via the Google Nest WiFi Point, but I also tested with other WiFi connections and the problem persists.

I've even tried streaming from other music sources and I had no issues with these devices.

Thanks

Hey again @Gespinha,

Thanks for letting us know that.

Have you tried adjusting the Equalizer settings in the app? In that article you can find how to do so.

On another note, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in their account in your device to check if the issue persists with a different account?

Keep us in the loop 🙂

EniModerator

Hi,

I've tried adjusting the equalizer settings in the app and also tried using the Connect feature and all of the attempts mentioned above on several different devices and even tried with a different account and the problem persists.

Thanks

Hi @Gespinha

Thanks for sending us this info. 

Could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update?

On another note, we'd like to know if this issue persists when you're listening to music directly on your devices (phone and iPad).

Lastly, would you mind checking if this is happening while you're using Bluetooth connection as well?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

EniModerator

Hi,

I acquired the Lenovo Smart Clock almost 2 years ago and the problem has always happened while playing Spotify on it. The Google Nest Wifi Point was acquired a couple of months ago and the problem is the same and it always happened.

This issue doesn't happen when I listen to Spotify on the iPad or the phone, it only happens when I use the Connect feature with these devices.

There is no way to connect to these devices via Bluetooth, the connection is made via Wifi, where all of these devices need to be in the same network.

Thanks

Hey there @Gespinha

Thanks for getting back in touch and for letting us know that. 

Would you mind sending us the current firmware of your devices you're having this issue with (Lenovo Smart Clock and Google Next Wifi Point)?

Also - could you let us know if you notice that some specific songs are always loud/soft or if it's random (sometimes the song plays fine, and other times that same song sounds soft)? 

If it isn't random, we'd like to know the URI of the songs that are loud and the ones that are too soft. To get them, open the Spotify desktop app > click the three dots next to the content > Share > Copy Spotify URI.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator

I'm having the exact same issue with my Google Nest when using Spotify Connect. Some songs are always played with lower volume and some songs with higher volume. 

When listening on the phone (or with bluetooth speakers) this does not happen, unless you turn off "Normalize volume" in the settings. So looks like this normalize function is missing when using Spotify Connect on Google Home devices...

There was an idea posted about implementing normalize volume on Google Home devices, put it didn't get enough votes in time:  https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Google-Home-Google-Nest-Google-Cast-Normalize-Volume/i...

Hey folks, same issue here, as google home mini linked to spotify, at same volume setting say 15% cant hear anything, whereas linked to youtube music at the same volume level too loud, whats the problem with you spotif, what do we pay money for??

I experience this volume issue when using the “Listen on device” feature with Chromecast, Google Nest Mini, and Google Home Mini. The loudness difference is notable. If normalization could extend to other devices (as an optional setting) that would be fantastic. 

Hey folks! 

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

We can confirm that volume normalization or equalizer settings, alongside crossfade and other playback settings don't transfer over to devices one connects to, be it with Spotify Connect, Casting, AirPlay, Voice Assistant Smart Speakers or similar. That's why volume differences might be present.

At the moment, we're not looking into implementing support for these extended settings on connected devices. However, we always strive to improve so this might change in the future. 

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator

That’s disappointing. I have home audio for a reason. If the music I choose to play through them comes out somewhere between a whisper and a scream, or my playback options are pointless…

Absolutely typical of Spotify. A year after the usual Dr Snakeoil cure-all of "try a clean install", they finally admit that like so much else, it simply doesn't work. So a platform almost entirely built on playlists doesn't work properly when using one.

Don't know what's worse, the fact it doesn't work, they fact they have no intention of fixing it or that they didn't know that it doesn't work! 🙄

So under what conditions does sound normalization work?  Does it work connecting via blue tooth to SONOS speakers?

Thanks

Chad

Yes, it seems to work over bluetooth. Although I only use that in the car where there's lots of ambient noise, so probably not as noticeable anyway. So when Spotify is playing directly from the app it works. When relaying the stream to another Spotify enabled device it doesn't.

As I said previously, the amount of features that just don't work to Spotify enabled devices is laughable. Podcasts don't work & nor does the feature to continue similar playback after a playlist finishes. And still scratching their backsides & looking out of the window instead of fixing any of it...

Suggested posts