Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP 7.5] Windows app loosing "Now playing" information

[WP 7.5] Windows app loosing "Now playing" information

I have a nokia lumia windows phone. If I pause the music and go into other apps or make/take calls then after a while the "now playing" information is lost. It seems to be random but I'm not sure if it is a time out or something else. It's quite frustraing when spotify forgets what it has already played and you have to start the playlist all over again. Aybody seen this or got any idea?

20 Replies

This is bug in WP.

Spotify does not comment problems with Windows Phone. Sad, but true.

Hey, add your kudos to this All Windows Phone bugs in one thread thread, if you want that Spotify fix those problems.

Let's hope that my thread will sit at home page on the community forever. Maybe then Spotify notice those problems.

Sorry for the delay. I'm covering a few issues with the Windows 7 Phone app so hopefully we can take a close look at this one.

Can anyone provide me of some screen shots of the "now playing" display?

Does the app stop playing after the track ends? 

@Rorey wrote:

Sorry for the delay. I'm covering a few issues with the Windows 7 Phone app so hopefully we can take a close look at this one.

Can anyone provide me of some screen shots of the "now playing" display?

Does the app stop playing after the track ends? 

Hey Rorey,

Fiest of all thank you that Spotify is interested to fix app. I hope you can make sure update will be nice and it fix all bugs.

The Now Playing screen:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6218/6328708758_69fef61d43.jpg

Picture is not my, credits to whatleydude.com

When you receive a call or app crashes, you can't see this NP view and you need to open Spotify manually and start playlist you listened before. With BT and call you need to restart whole phone before you can listen app again. With other headphones this works, however when call is more than 10 minutes, Spotify stop showing this feature and also app is "reseted" so tyou need to start listeing playlis you want manually.

I have an HTC Titan in front of me but I'm not able to reproduce this (although I've seen several reports of the issue).

It would be helpful if we could get some screenshots of the device while it's experiencing the issue so we can get a better grasp of the symptoms. 

Hey,

This is just like picture below, but without Now Playing... Spotify randomly stops and after while or right away this goes out of screen.

Great that someone is trying to fix the app, (THANKS!!), but i think that there are so many bugs and missing functions that it would be better to re-do the whole thing.. Hpguru uploaded a video with some of the bugs..
I think that prio nr1 is to make the app STABLE, screw fancy stylish things for now and focus on how to make the app PLAY songs when phone is switching (roaming) between mobileantennas, to make it play after a call when phone is on Bluetooth, fix crash after roaming failed/ Bluetooth failed/ paused music for x-minutes failed leading to "now playing" disapears and app (sometimes whole phone) has to be restarted. Downloaded/synced files goes lost and sometimes it helps to reboot phone. The lack of stable local/synced tracs is realy annoying in combination with unstable connection.
My android phone NEVER loose spotify audio when switching antennas (roams) with the same simcard.
So: problem lies in Windows phone spotify-app.

I can't help believing, the bad rep that the WP Spotify app has got lately is starting to get through to them. The app isn't even on the the top free apps in Swedish Marketplace anymore. With the growing WP user base, I would say its prio 1 to get this sha!t working. I was curious so I went in to read the reviews on the app in Marketplace. Lets put it like this, I had to scroll way down before I saw a 3 star review, it is that bad.

You can easily reproduce this app by doing the following steps:

1. Start playing a song on the Spotify app

2. Open for example Youtube and start playing a song there

The "Now playing" information dissappears when you are done watching the Youtube video.

Another bug is that you have to press the back button on the settings menu to save the settings. Made Spotify suddenly use up all the traffic I had on my data plan for that month 😕 I will look if I can find ways to reproduce other bugs.

Regards,

Martin

Edit:

And ya, if you want to see some bugs, just use the app for a while and you will see some. When the app crashes, a stack-trace of what caused the app to crash gets saved to the isolated storage, something I don't have access to as a normal user.

Asking for links and saying you can't reproduce something should not be a suggested answer. If you don't have a suggestion to fix his problem, don't check the thread.

However, Rorey, I appreciate your help! So please try to reproduce it. Just listen app for hour and you will see that it stops playing randomly and this NP information is gone because app stopped playing (by itself).

There is NO NEED to screenshots, if you use app daily-basis, you can see all the bugs.

@Rorey wrote:

I have an HTC Titan in front of me but I'm not able to reproduce this (although I've seen several reports of the issue).

It would be helpful if we could get some screenshots of the device while it's experiencing the issue so we can get a better grasp of the symptoms. 

Rorey, you sleep?

I don't belive that information to fix bugs is needed to fix a problem (when it comes to apps and programming). Many of the bugs can be related to memory allocation, bit-switching which is far too complex for an average/normal user to understand how to reproduce. When I reverse-engineered the app, I saw there was handlers that create logs when the app crashes in the isolated storage for the app. As users we don't have access to this kind of storage unless we got a developer-unlocked phone and know the app ID to Spotify to obtain these logs. However, this is a job for Spotify to test out the app and fix bugs related to their products properly before releasing it, which is clear they have not done a good enough job in.

Yes...

Spottily is trying to say that no bugs in Spottily because staff can't reproduce bugs in Spottily.

That's bad thing.

Apologies for not being more clear about what I expected.

I need screen shots which demonstrate how the "Now Playing" screen looks after the info is "lost". I'm still unclear what is causing the information to be lost (i.e. receiving a call, phone going into sleep mode). Therefore, anyone experiencing the issue should fill in the following template:

[[Replace this with a short description of what the problem or feedback is about.]]

A more detailed description of the problem, using numbered steps:
1. First I did this
2. Then I did that
3. I also did this

What I Expected:
This is what I expected to happen

What actually happened:
This is what the software did instead.

Once I have at least two of these templates filled in I can document and report the issue. 

Thanks for the help reporting this. 

When you receive a call or app crashes or you open YouTube and play some video... the Now Playing data is gone from Windows Phone screen.

A more detailed description of the problem, using numbered steps:
1. Tried Re-install of app
2. Then Another try of re-install
3. Finally Uninstalled the app and purchased Android phone

What I Expected:
Re-install may fix problem and inofrmation about song is more stable

What actually happened:
No help and NP leave the main screen when app crashes, call received or youtube used.

I try to provide some screenshots in future, but currently no time for this because I go tomorrow to Estonia! 🙂

Only developer-unlocked devices can take screenshots on the WP-platform. But when the issue appears, there is a play, back/forward button with no imformation about the current song. Just like when you finish playing a playlit.

- Martin

Thanks Jyri!

However, I wanted you to describe what caused the problem not what you attempted to do to resolve the problem. We need to be able to try to reproduce the issue for the sake of documenting it (although, our QA team is mostly likely aware of a big bug liks this).

@Martin Good to know. Cheers. 

Hmm...

As I said a incoming call or crash in app or when I open a YouTube video.

I do not know how Spotify works, but incoming call for example cause this.

Suggested posts