Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP 8.0] Playing while roaming over 3G not possible

Solved!

[WP 8.0] Playing while roaming over 3G not possible

I was very glad to find out the WP8 for Spotify finally came out. Unfortunately I haven`t been able to use it to its full potential due to a bug/lack of feature.

I, like many others, am using a MVNO (Virtual Provider). Because my network name is different then my carrier name, my WP8 phone thinks I`m roaming even when i`m not.  his is an "issue" that is common with MVNO providers and happens with other operating systems aswell. It can be "solved" simply by allowing 3G traffic while roaming.

Unfortunately, the Spotify app doesn`t allow any traffic to pass trough while the phone is "roaming" even when this is allowed in the phone`s settings. This causes the Spotify app to stay in oflfine mode for everyone that is either roaming internationally or is using in MVNO nationally. So far I haven`t found any way to bypass this behaviour.

The solution to this problem is to either allow 3G roaming when it`s turned on in the Windows settings, or to add a switch to the Spotify app to turn data traffic on or off while roaming...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I used to be with giffgaff - this issue would have really annoyed me. I'll escalate this to the community team 🙂 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Duly noted; and thanks for the details.

Community Ergo Sum

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

I used to be with giffgaff - this issue would have really annoyed me. I'll escalate this to the community team 🙂 

Marked as solution

Duly noted; and thanks for the details.

Community Ergo Sum

Per,

Do you know if there is anything in the works related to this problem?

Stephan

Any update on a fix for this issue? I cannot use Spotify on my mobile when I'm on 3G 😞

Hey guys, just to keep everyone updated - we're still looking into what's happening here.

Can we get some confirmations that this is definitely still happening? Thanks in advance.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Hereby confirmed. Streaming over 3G Roaming is still not possible.

Nokia Lumia 620

WP8 Amber

Virtual Provider "bob.at" in the "A1" Network of Telekom Austria

Still not working on W8

Yep. Can confirm this is still an issue. Just switched operators on a previously network locked device, and found out the hard way. 

Yes, I can confirm that this is an issue. I have recently switched to an MVNO-operator and have data roaming turned on. I am only able to stream music on Spotify through my premium account when connected to Wifi. When I am only connected via 3G data, the app is always offline and I can only listen to offline music.

The device I am using is Nokia Lumia 1020, running on Windows Phone 8 with the GDR2-update (Amber).

It's been two months now and you received confirmation it's definitely still happening. When can we expect a fix for this issue?

Thanks,

Sander

I can also confirm that Spotify is useless when not connected to a WIFI network, it simply does not work at all on a roaming network. This is not what I'm paying a premium subscription for. I will cancel my subscription and when this problem is fixed I might come back.

My suggestion is that all WP users do this, vote with your wallet. That might help. Till now nothing happened anyway.

I have opened this as a bug with the Spotify team here on the community for further investigation. 

If you could add your details to the bugs topic that would be greatly appreciated!

I am going to lock this topic so we can keep all reports going to the same place.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts