Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP 8.1] Music stops playing suddenly

[WP 8.1] Music stops playing suddenly

For a few months now, I've noticed that whenever I play music on the Windows Phone Spotify app, it will suddenly just stop playing the song and I'll have to open the app up again to continue playing the song. It very rarely remembers the song position either - it often reduces it to about 3-4 seconds in and I have to play the song then guess the position the song was at, or play the entire song again. It's incredibly irritating, especially when I'm listening offline out and about and I have to keep reaching into my pocket every 5-10 minutes to restart the song, since this tends to happen every 2-3 songs. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this? I'll just mention a few things to help

-My phone is a Nokia Lumia 620

-I've got loads of songs set to Play Offline on my phone

-I've not tried uninstalling and reinstalling yet (will try when I get a chance, been quite busy and it takes ages to redownload all songs)

-As mentioned in the subject title, I'm using Windows Phone 8.1

-I've encountered a few other issues with my phone recently, which makes me think it could be a hardware issue too

Before I try anything else, I'd just like to see if there's some sort of obvious fix for this before I mess around with things.

32 Replies

Hey @user-removed

Thanks for reaching out to us on the community and welcome aboard. I hope you find all the answers you were hoping for (Though we're not sure of the meaning of life just yet) 😉

In regards to your troubles, the best place to start would be with a clean reinstall of the app. It will make sure that any faulty cache data etc. will be removed. Find instructions on how to do so here:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Of course, get back to me and let me know how it all goes. I'd love to help out should you need me more.

Thanks! 🙂

Thanks for the reply! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but unfortunately it didn't seem to do anything. It didn't also seem to be an issue with having too much music downloaded as I made a small playlist, downloaded it, and still had the issue. When I next have the time I'm going to put some music on my phone and try using a different app, because then I can see if it's an issue with the phone or not. Thanks again for the help!

Apologies for the double post, just thought I'd update on the situation.

I'm still having the same issues. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice with no luck (and weirdly enough, when I uninstalled and reinstalled, my playlists were still downloaded offline and the last song I listened to was still up). I tried listening to my own music, which played fine (except when I reinstalled Spotify and started the app, my music cut out). I've tried multiple headphones in case that was the issue (I did this before using my own music) and I had the same issue. I'm sure this is a issue between my phone and the Spotify app and I have no idea what to do.

THis is not only your problem but for many other people too.

Just search the Forum.

WIndows Phone is (I guess) a pain in the ass for the Spotify Developers and they just don't give a sh** about there customers as far as they are not using Android or iOS.

Always the same issues, always NO respond from any person in charge.

I've got the same problem. I've been posting on various threads in the forum for weeks but still no response

It's such a shame. Previously, I dismissed app support issues for Windows Phone because I really enjoyed using the phone, but if this is going to be a constant problem with Spotify, then I'll probably move to Android when I get my next phone, hopefully it doesn't have the same issue.

Blaming WP for this i not the correct way I think as this is just the problem of Spotify.

There are lots of apps working fine... Even deezer is working better 😞

Sadly this is not supported from the Telekom Germany...otherwise I would switch.

That's a good point, however I just want to think in terms of "How am I going to get the best experience?". Spotify is a huge part of using my phone, and while you're right in saying I shouldn't blame Windows Phone, I'm worried that there'll be a major lack of support for the Spotify app (as there has been with other big developers and Windows Phone apps) so I may end up going over to Android instead. However, there's a lot of stuff on Windows Phone I really appreciate, so I'll just wait and see, hoping the Spotify app at least improves.

Just to update on the situation: since my last post, there's now a whole new version of Spotify. I've also gotten a new phone since then too. However, the problem still persists and it's really irritating. Any ideas what it could be? Could it possibly be an issue with having the app on the SD card? That's the only issue I can think of at this point.

Edit: Tried deleting the app, then setting my phone to store apps on the phone, redownloading, and trying again. I still encounter the same issue. I have no idea what could be causing this. I've hardly seen anyone else mention this issue, so it must be something on my end.

Yes I noticed the new-look app yesterday and got all excited that everything might finally be working. Sadly not. It seems they put all that effort into making it look fresh and new instead of actually making it work. The expression 'polishing a turd' springs to mind....

I'm sorry to hear you're still having the issue as well. I'm starting to wonder just what the problem is. Everything I've tried doesn't stop it, including listening to music that isn't offline, putting the app on my phone instead of my SD card, and more. It can't be a widespread issue because I'd have seen people complaining about it in the topic about the new Spotify update, which frustrates me. I can't figure out exactly what the issue is supposed to be.

I have a similar problem. Posted it here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/WP8-x-cannot-play-music-with-application...

Perhaps you could reply there with your WP version and spotify version.  And exact description of what you have done, when the problem began, etc.

I'll do that now, cheers!

So after help from a few members of staff and others here, I think I've figured out my issue. When I deleted all my playlists, starred tracks and saved tracks, I didn't have the issue. When I made a small playlist of about 150 songs, I had no issue. But when I put one of my playlists back in, I once again had the issue. It's possible that at least one track is corrupting the playback on my phone for some reason. I have no idea which track it is, but I'm gonna slowly add more and more tracks to this small playlist I have until I figure out what the issue is. Of course, it could be something else entirely, but this could help me figure out the issue.

I just listen to albums (not playlists) and I have the crashes. So this is no playlist thing for me.

So you have no songs favourited or starred whatsoever? I'll carry on seeing if I can figure out what the issue is.

Of cause I have, but for the moment I'm not listening to them but to predefined playlists and/or albums recently published and stuff like that.
So the cashed are not related to my presonal created playlists.

Well I have around 6000 starred songs and 30 or so massive playlists. Only one of them is synced to the phone though. But maybe the app is constantly trying to populate all the non-synced stuff and the phone just can't deal with it? Perhaps I should move with the times, go through the whole lot and move onto the new 'my music' way of doing things. I don't use the starred thing anymore but it nice to go through it occasionally to see what I was listening to a few years back. Bizarre that my iPad and first generation iPod with its Casio calculator technology can deal with it all though!

oh, so instead of making the, fix their crap*y app, you will change the platform.

btw, i am another customer unhappy with your **bleep**ty WP8 support and i will give up the service they don't decide not to fix their app.

Suggested posts