Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP 8.1] Music stops playing suddenly

[WP 8.1] Music stops playing suddenly

For a few months now, I've noticed that whenever I play music on the Windows Phone Spotify app, it will suddenly just stop playing the song and I'll have to open the app up again to continue playing the song. It very rarely remembers the song position either - it often reduces it to about 3-4 seconds in and I have to play the song then guess the position the song was at, or play the entire song again. It's incredibly irritating, especially when I'm listening offline out and about and I have to keep reaching into my pocket every 5-10 minutes to restart the song, since this tends to happen every 2-3 songs. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this? I'll just mention a few things to help

-My phone is a Nokia Lumia 620

-I've got loads of songs set to Play Offline on my phone

-I've not tried uninstalling and reinstalling yet (will try when I get a chance, been quite busy and it takes ages to redownload all songs)

-As mentioned in the subject title, I'm using Windows Phone 8.1

-I've encountered a few other issues with my phone recently, which makes me think it could be a hardware issue too

Before I try anything else, I'd just like to see if there's some sort of obvious fix for this before I mess around with things.

32 Replies

I've now given up with the spotify app on my windows phone. On the plus side I've now discovered some great podcasts. Every cloud....

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue on my Lumia 735.

Music plays during 15 to 45 mins and stops randomly.

I'v tried to clean install the app, clear cach, put app on SD, put app on phone memory. I've always the same probleme

same thing for me. it's driving me totally nuts and as a premium user i'm defenitely, although sadly, considering moving to some other service. spotify is a great, great thing but the wp app makes it almost useless. i spend more time closing and restarting the app than listening to music... frustrating doesen't even begin to describe the feeling 😞
last hope is the upgrade to win 10

I don't have this problem anymore. It somehow solved itself... I suspected that the problem was when using the Spotify and Runtastic apps together, so now I first start Spotify and only after that I start Runtastic. Not sure it's related though...

not sure of this helps, but  I had the same problem

I figured our that my headphones with Mic, was not properly connected, that caused the suddenly stopping.

good luck!

This has happened to me even on a strong Wi-Fi or 4G LTE signal.  I am using a Nokia Lumia 1520.

I have the same problem on my Lumia 530. After playing 1-3 songs the playback stops and sometimes I can't restart it whatever I do. The app simply displays its loading message and nothing happens. I have to reboot my phone but even that doesn't always work. I just did a factory reset, the first thing I did after was to install Spotify but this bug remains.

Also it often asks me to upgrade to premium although I have premium account.

It's a shame that this problem exists for a year now but nobody cares to solve it.

Yup, I gave up a long way back. Sounds like you have the exact same symptoms as me. Maybe one day I'll get a magic email in my inbox saying its been fixed. I'm still surprised they haven't addressed it - Spotify seems to be so on it in every other respect. Let me know if you ever work it out, would be lovely to have it on my phone.

Thanks, Dan

The issue is the way the windows phone handles the notifications of messages. take for example, if you set your "Driving mode" to not notify you of messages, and only allow calls through. Spotify will not stop when you receive a text. and if you receive a call, you can take the call and once you hang up (Within 5-7 minutes) spotify will resume playing.

I have driving mode auto turn on when I am in the car (and it connects to the car's blutooth) and if I am just listening while walking, I turn driving mode on as well.

the other route is to take away to notofication for messages and just leave it on vibrate.

this is a ton smoother on WP10 just btw 🙂

Thank you very much! I'm hoping both the combination of Windows Phone 10 and a potential Spotify update to cater to anythings WP10 related leads to a generally stronger experience.

We can only hope if they do intend to update the app that the dev team actually continue to support their software after release so they can test it properly and fix bugs like this.

im on Galaxy 6 having same prob. ive been complaining on twitter to spotify. their standard reply is a fresh install but it didnt help

A few months ago I start having this issue, I went out for running and music paused, my Lumia 925 was in my pocket, no buttons pressed on the phone nor the headphones. It became a pain last week, I thought it was due to old headphones sending wrong signals as I move so I sent them to trash and I bought new ones from Philips but I had the same problem, any solution? I I can't find a way to solve this I'll have to finish my premium subscription since now I can't use the app on my phone, which is the primary use.

Suggested posts