Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP10M] Client simply doesn't work correctly

[WP10M] Client simply doesn't work correctly

The Spotify client for Windows 10 Mobile phones is flawed, to the point of uselessness. I often cannot listen to more than one song before it crashes, and that is after several crashes just to get that one song to start.

I pay for Spotify. You have great support for PC and Android users. Do I really have to stop paying you just because I have a Windows phone?
6 Replies

+1, except that it crashes when i try to start the app(audio can't start), ggwp on testing the application before pushing to store, please do fix the app and do testing before pushing to store.

Plus One on that. Not even one song plays correctly. Client goes off line for no reason. How do I downgrade to the version before that at least played the songs. Running on a 950xl.

Hi there!

I have a Lumia 930 with Windows 10 Mobile (build 14393.189), it crashes very often but it is really unpredictible.

Times when it crashed:

• randomly when playing songs while the screen is locked, it just stops after a song. I have to open the app, it resumes well, and I can press play and it will continue the song.
  • once when pressing next track button on the lockscreen. It changed the track, but paused the music, I pressed play, it went to pause immediately. I did this a couple of times, til it crashed.

Another annoying bug is when the app can't recognize the intenet connection and thinks it is offline, when it is not clearly not. I have to turn off and on again the cellural or wifi connection to make it work again.

Same here. Reset phone, reinstalled the app and still nothing works as it should. It either spends most of it's time in a loading loop or states I'm offline. The app doesn't seem to like working over a wifi connection either, as in my many attempts to get it to do anything I switched of the mobile data connection off and it refused to acknowledge my wifi connection.

In the years I've tried to use Spotify on a windows phone (across various handsets and app versions) I can think only think of a handful of occasions the app has worked as intended, which is extremely poor when it's a paid service.

The Android app is great and light years ahead of the shody Window Phone/Mobile version. Sure the instsall base is greater on Android, but if you're charging the same amount for the service that shouldn't make a difference.

Using;

Lumia 950XL

Windows 10 Mobile (latest version)

Latest Spotify build (having just reinstalled it yet again)

Yep... Got the same problem on my Lumia 950 XL, tried it on several phones. Does it really work for anyone?!

Doing a fair bit of software development myself (or rather my team) I've done a bit of testing and found that the phone sometimes changes connection type (4G, 4G+, 3G, etc) very rapidly. Nothing wrong with that as connection speed varies with quality. In these instances Spotify often stops working. No matter what I do. Even if I'm allso connected to WiFi and WiFi should be the first choice in this case. If I the manually puts Spotify in off line mode all offline playlists work just fine as does the entire Spotify client. It appears when connection type is changed (ie 4G -> 3G or vice versa) the client is reinitialized for some reason. A guess would be that changes in service quality on the phone raises an event that Spotify  mistakes for something else and starts reinitializing. I'd gladly supply more info on this if someone from development contacts me.

Suggested posts