Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP7] Windows Phone 7 News

Solved!

[WP7] Windows Phone 7 News

Hello community.

Here's some news for our Windows Phone 7 users.

Windows Phone 7 apps are not compatible with Microsoft’s latest mobile operating system, Windows Phone 8. As a result, we'll be focusing our efforts on bringing the best possible features to the most current platform. Our existing Windows Phone 7 app will continue to be available in the Marketplace but we'll no longer be issuing future updates for our Windows Phone 7 app.

- Edited tag in subject (hpguru) -

Community Ergo Sum

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Oh **bleep**.

Too bad, but what updates???

Since release date no updates. Spotify is completely ignoring us and I'm glad to hear I do not buy a Spotify Premium for Lumia 800 to my brother beause of this! There is no updates coming, app is buggy as hell... So use TuneIn radio in future, but Spotify will not update app for sure to WP7... To many folks new phone is very hard dream, as many folks don't have much money to spend to new phone just to be able to fix bugs in one app!!!

Thanks, but no thanks!

Bye.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

No big surprise there, although @hpguru won't be happy!

Does this mean more features and bug fixes are coming to WP8?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Goodman wrote:

Hello community.

Here's some news for our Windows Phone 7 users.

Windows Phone 7 apps are not compatible with Microsoft’s latest mobile operating system, Windows Phone 8. As a result, we'll be focusing our efforts on bringing the best possible features to the most current platform. Our existing Windows Phone 7 app will continue to be available in the Marketplace but we'll no longer be issuing future updates for our Windows Phone 7 app.

You can deal with the angry mob 😉

(Should we lock this now, or later lol)

Marked as solution

Oh **bleep**.

Too bad, but what updates???

Since release date no updates. Spotify is completely ignoring us and I'm glad to hear I do not buy a Spotify Premium for Lumia 800 to my brother beause of this! There is no updates coming, app is buggy as hell... So use TuneIn radio in future, but Spotify will not update app for sure to WP7... To many folks new phone is very hard dream, as many folks don't have much money to spend to new phone just to be able to fix bugs in one app!!!

Thanks, but no thanks!

Bye.

So please remove Spotify app from WP7-Store! Otherwise you only fool your customers!

Cutting support from old devices is always a good way to make money. Specially when considering that there are "just a few" people who bought these old crappy wp7 phones.

Way to go Spotibyhyhyy!

How about providing your customer with services that they accually pay for.

That statement of you is so bad in so many ways. How can you even charge me for full payment when you obviously don't give me full service back?

I mean, how do you think when you come to the conclusion that ignoring old supporting customers is a good idea?

In what way are a WP7 customer worth less than a WP8. please explain that to me because I can not figure it out. Thought all customers should be treated the same.

Do WP8 customers pay more money, do the drive your kids to school or what is it that I'm missing here?

Cut the crap about: Naaah we are only looking forward and should really think about expanding.

If you can not even keep your current customers happy how do figure to manage new customers? Don't you think newer OS for different phones will emerge, and what will you do then, just quit caring again and leave the "retarded old-phone-users" behind again?

It's not like you don't have the resources to rebulid the WP7 app. No one buys that bulls**t.

I got my hands on a WP8 device the other day and guess what, your app works even worse on WP8 than WP7.

OK it's still a beta for WP8 but my friend who just signed up for a premium membership felt ripped of. He is not going to stay with you.

I don't always complain like this, but when I do... I must hold back not smash my keybord.

/Joel

This is ridiculous.

I'm not even expecting any new features. I'm fine not being able to scrub tracks, reorder playlists, share tracks directly, scrobble to Last.fm... or, well, I'm not fine with it, but I've come to terms with not being able to do those things on mobile.

But the bugs. The crashes. It's like living with an abusive spouse. It's temperamental, it keeps hurting you, but you learn to live with it and you always come back because you have nowhere else to go.

I refuse to accept that there's nobody who'd be able to fix the bugs. For my 9,99 € a month I'd like to be able to turn the screen off on my phone without having the app crash. I'd like to be able to view an artist's other albums without having the app crash.

These are fixable in a weekend, and it's unacceptable that they haven't been fixed at any part of the full year that it has existed and Windows Phone 8 hasn't.

Not to mention of course that the WP8 app is a beta. You're dumping the development of one beta for the development of another beta. When WP9 comes out, can we expect more abandonware?

Fix it. I don't care about the features. Fix the bugs. Bugs that shouldn't have existed in the first place. That's it.

That's it - I'm gone from Spotify if that's the case.  I have a HTC Titan which never played Spotify reliably.  It also doesn't play reliably on my Lumia 920.  ...Cancelled my rebilling a few moments ago.

Admittedly, I have only been with Spotify for a few weeks and purchased two months of premium subscription because they had a Windows Phone 7 and recently a Windows Phone 8 app.  If they ain't gonna fix their **bleep**, I'll take my hard-earned elsewhere.

They should remove the app from the Marketplace as it's simply misleading potential customers into thinking they'll get a working app on Windows Phone 7, which of course, they won't.

I was just about to buy Spotify Premium and then I found this out. I'll be notifying everyone I know to use other services like Grooveshark and Zune Music Pass. 

Sad news for many WP7 owners who cannot upgrade their phones to WP8 (me!)  I love Spotify, but the app on my Lumia 900 is terrible, and with no hope of fixing it, I may have to cancel my subscription.

😞

Hello Spotify,

Simple bug fixes to older OS's should not cost you in man hours the kudos it would bring in the community. There are numerous examples of firms blatantly ignoring the older customer base and losing new ones in the end...

@Flipflop wrote:

Hello Spotify,

Simple bug fixes to older OS's should not cost you in man hours the kudos it would bring in the community. There are numerous examples of firms blatantly ignoring the older customer base and losing new ones in the end...

Hi, and welcome to the Spotify Community!

I expect there will still be bug fixes (as there are in Spotify for iOS 4 or below), just not major updates,  and customer support won't deal with WP7 anymore.

So if there are still bugs, you can expect a fix for them at some point as in Spotify for iOS 4, which is the old version of spotify for users with old iOS devices who can't upgrade to iOS 6.x.x

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

@AnthonyB wrote:

I expect there will still be bug fixes (as there are in Spotify for iOS 4 or below), just not major updates

Anthony,

Has Spotify released a statement saying that they will "no longer be issuing future updates" for iOS 4, like they now did for WP7? Also, while I'm not an iOS developer, I'm under the impression that iOS apps are developed for no particular version; if iOS 4 has all the APIs and features the Spotify iOS app needs, it'll run on iOS 4.

The difference here is that Windows Phone 8 is a completely new architecture from Windows Phone 7, and WP8 apps will not work on WP7 devices under any circumstances.

However, the major f-u to (formerly) loyal customers from Spotify is the fact that Windows Phone 7 apps work perfectly on Windows Phone 8. They could continue developing the current app and thus provide support for both WP7 and WP8, but simply choose not to.

Even more annoying, no specific reason is given. "Bringing the best possible features to the most current platform" is absolutely possible on the WP7 architecture. And even if not, fixing the bugs they've had since launch most certainly is.

I'm sure WP8 development offers great advantages and makes the lives of the devs much easier, but that's not the customer's concern.

Given this, and the fact that during the year of full support from Spotify that the WP7 app enjoyed, virtually no updates were ever issued; the problems I had with the Spotify app in July when I got my phone, are still there today.

Spotify does not give one solitary crap about Windows Phone users, and it's folly to even believe this "beta" WP8 app is going to be better, more stable or well supported.

We wouldn't be upset and you wouldn't loose customers if the WP7 app would run like a charm. Maybe before cutting us off you should have fixed it first. Smart.

In this case: No updates = No support

Microsoft however will support Windows Phone 7 and 8 until 2014 meaning people like me who got a bargain Lumia 800 for £160 (even cheaper in the future) will want to use Spotify the next couple of years without having issues. http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-support-windows-phone-7-8-until-2014

I won't be using the desktop app either as for the £4.99 I don't get high quality streaming. Xbox music (Zune) offers the same service although it's only 256-kbps, but the app works.

Most certainly  you won't do anything, which is a shame I was using the service for almost 3 years.

Not much to say, but that I'm sad. Would at least be nice to get some bug fixes for the app.

In any case, perhaps it's time to look at other alternatives.

Not sure if we've had any other news regarding the WP7 app, but this one, which isn't particularly fun.

Over and out,

cable

It's all wrong. When you create an application for Windows Phone 7, it is automatically compatible with Windows Phone 8. But if you create an application for Windows Phone 8, it will not work on Windows Phone 7. 😞

Too bad! Some of us won't upgrade our WP7 devices to to WP8 devices just because of the lack of physical QWERTY keyboard. So I'd really much appreciate if I could get Spotify Free working on my WP7! I don't care about other updates...

You can't even get Spotify Free currently on Windows Phone 8, so it's pretty unlikely I'm afraid.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts