Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8] App crashes: phone call, bluetooth, idle

[WP8] App crashes: phone call, bluetooth, idle

App crashes even when only taking a phone call. Please fix this and make it more stable!

14 Replies

To sum it up: the app crashes when

- idle in the background

- connected to or disconnected from a Bluetooth device

- and on incoming phone calls (even when not answering them)

I'm aware that there are many other issues that need to be fixed (like fast forwarding, linking album and artist information to the song that's currently played, ordering songs in a playlist by date added etc...) but app stability should be the number one concern during beta testing.

@mazze_germany wrote:

To sum it up: the app crashes when

- idle in the background

- connected to or disconnected from a Bluetooth device

- and on incoming phone calls (even when not answering them)

I'm aware that there are many other issues that need to be fixed (like fast forwarding, linking album and artist information to the song that's currently played, ordering songs in a playlist by date added etc...) but app stability should be the number one concern during beta testing. 

Thanks for posting this. I am unable to test this app since I used the trial and was a paying customer. Though I quit, I am unable to start another trial. This bluetooth problem was the sole reason why I canceled my premium membership. Every morning, I'd listen to music at home, then start driving to work. The app would take a dive and require it to be closed, or reboot phone completely in order to work again on bluetooth.

As soon as this bug is fixed, I'll be climbing onboard the premium train.

In addition to what mazze_germany states, I also find that Spotify stops playing when in the background and interrupted by the sports tracking app, Endomondo, to announce new miles and lap times. This didn't occur with Xbox Music. When I tried to resume the music after that, the Spotify app would not open again (would either get stuck on the logo screen or on a black progress screen that said "Resuming").

- Your country: Sweden

- Your specific phone model: Nokia Lumia 920

- Your phone's Operating System and version: Windows 8, Nokia update versions 1.7.0.173

- Are you using 3G, WiFi? : Both.

Observation/Bug: Listen to music with a bluetooth headset. Take a phone call, pause the music for a while for some other reason. Go back to start playing music again. Realize that the play button on the headset does nothing. Try going into the spotify app to start listening to a song. Realize that spotify tries to play up music notice that they progressbar for the song playing doesn't move. I.e. nothing happens no sound comes. Has to be resolved by restarting the headset. 

Might be a bluetooth/phone bug instead..

This sounds like the same issue that I am having (posted above) but I am using wired earphones so it may have no link to the Bluetooth. 

I have to second the report(s) above. In my case I had it connected via BT to my car (a Parrot MKi 9100). A call arrived, and playback was of course interrupted. After the call, the whole Spotify app had hung, and is still in a hung-up mode.

If I try to launch it from its tile, I briefly see the green Spotify-screen, which folds away after a second or so into a completely blank (in my case - white - since I have the light theme) screen and that's it. It hangs in this blank screen until I press the back arrow or the Window key. If I try to launch it again, the same procedure repeats over again...

I will now try to restart the phone and see if it helps. If there are any logging features in spotify, I would gladly supply you with any/all log files.

@Eriond wrote:

I have to second the report(s) above. In my case I had it connected via BT to my car (a Parrot MKi 9100). A call arrived, and playback was of course interrupted. After the call, the whole Spotify app had hung, and is still in a hung-up mode.

If I try to launch it from its tile, I briefly see the green Spotify-screen, which folds away after a second or so into a completely blank (in my case - white - since I have the light theme) screen and that's it. It hangs in this blank screen until I press the back arrow or the Window key. If I try to launch it again, the same procedure repeats over again...

I will now try to restart the phone and see if it helps. If there are any logging features in spotify, I would gladly supply you with any/all log files.

The same thing happens to me when interrupted by Endomondo (sports tracking app) on new mile/time announcements. I have a Lumnia 920, latest updates, AT&T/USA. 

I was using bluetooth headphones. 

@awesomeplant wrote:

@Eriond wrote:

The same thing happens to me when interrupted by Endomondo (sports tracking app) on new mile/time announcements. I have a Lumnia 920, latest updates, AT&T/USA. 

I was using bluetooth headphones. 

Update: attempted to reproduce the issue with regular headphones, no bluetooth devices connected, during my run yesterday. The same problem occured in that when Endomondo made an announcment, playback completely stopped in Spotify and did not resume. The app did not crash however, but I did need to re-open Spotify and start playback again fresh. Very annoying to do while running 😕 

This occured on lap two as well, so I shut off Endomondo's Audio Coach feature and the rest of the run was fine. 

- Phone: HTC 8X

- 3G/Wifi - Both

Listen to music in the car with bluetooth and then receiving a call (also trough bluetooth handsfree) results in total app crash. Cannot start playing again until I either restart the phone or wait 30 minutes. 

Will try turning BlueTooth off and on again next time.

K.

- Phone: HTC 8x

-OS fully updated

-3G

Search works fine ,  can even play songs.

Crashes after 10-20 secs when trying playlists.

Seems large number of playlists causes trouble?

Phone:  Lumia 920

Sign-in via Facebook Log-in

Premium Account Member

I am having issues with the playback functionality of the app.  If I try to play any songs, the phone just tries to load to no avail and eventually the app closes on its own.  

(HTC 8X, WP8, T-Mobile, 3G and WiFi)

Spotify Version 2.0

A few annoyances:

- When I have a playlist pinned to the start screen, even if I have shuffle on it still starts from the first song.

- Randomly opens in offline mode and either lags to connect or must be restarted.

- Randomly does not remember which playlists I downloaded for offline use

- "What's New" usually doesn't load

- Immediately goes offline when I view my playlists

- Sometimes crashes as soon as it opens and returns to start screen

- After skipping one or two songs from the lock screen, playback is paused and the small menu at the top disappears

- Playback sometimes pauses when skipping songs via the swipe from "Now Playing"

Thank you for getting Spotify on WP8!

- Your country: US

- Your specific phone model: Nokia Lumia 920

- Your phone's Operating System and version: Windows 8, 8.0.102111.204

- Are you using 3G, WiFi? : Both

App crashes when I attempt to play any music... the progress 'dots' move across the top for a time and then the app quits. Sometimes I recieve a msg that about not being able to start the 'background music service'. Also it will not download offline content.

I agree. I don't care about the addition of features at this point. Please work on making the app stable as soon as possible! It is really annoying when it crashes but I still prefer the Spotify service over Xbox Music sub overall. 

I hope someone is reading these forums and is willing to help. Thank you! 

Suggested posts