Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8] Is someone maintaining the app now?

Solved!

[WP8] Is someone maintaining the app now?

So, I had a Windows Phone a while back and while I really liked the OS and phone in general there was one great dealbreaker in 7.5: The Spotify App.

Back then it was blatantly obvious that Spotify didn't care about the platform and it would seem that they hired a single guy to develop something they could ship and then dropped it. It was never maintained and after the first, very buggy version that lacked functionality was released (a few months delayed even) there was not a single update.

So, has this changed with WP8, or is it still unmaintained?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The WP8 app hasn't been updated since its initial release in February, and is identical in every respect to the WP7 app that launched in November, 2011 (it is missing the same features, namely radio and support for local file sync, and has all of the same bugs). If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I believe the WP8 app is being developed by Spotify.

Bear in mind the WP 7 app was developed by Microsoft and NOT Spotify (I believe).
Marked as solution

The WP8 app hasn't been updated since its initial release in February, and is identical in every respect to the WP7 app that launched in November, 2011 (it is missing the same features, namely radio and support for local file sync, and has all of the same bugs). If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

Yes thanks for opinions.

I think too no-one is working with this app.

That's it then. I guess Spotify doesn't see enough value in the Windows Phone market to actually develop for it. It sucks but unless it becomes apparant that Windows Phone users starts cancelling their subscriptions in large enough numbers there's no reason for Spotify to do anything about it.

Would be good to see an official Spotify statement on that topic to help clarify their WP8 committment or lack thereof.

After contacting Spotify support, it turns out they don't even know themselves whether anybody is working on an improved version or not since it's build directly over at Microsoft. That's unbelievable! So Spotify doesn't know what software is being worked on or if anything is worked on at all. 

Agreed.  I got in on the Voxer WP8 beta and they've sent out 3 or 4 updates addressing bugs, etc, in about a month's time.  To add insult to injury, I don't pay a monthly fee to Voxer like I do to Spotify.  Pretty poor customer service if you ask me.

Suggested posts