Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8] Playlists won't sync for offline use

[WP8] Playlists won't sync for offline use

I have attempted to download 3 playlists to play offline.

I then set offline mode to on and nothing would play.

I then noticed the playlist had not synced at all, so I turned offline mode off. I went to sync again and Spotify keeps tellling me I'm offline even though I'm not - I can't download or play anything. I've logged in and out and rebooted my handset to no avail.

HTC 8X

40 Replies

Firstly, thanks for the help so far. I tried to download a few of my existing playlists, but it seems quite flakey as to whether it downloads them or not. It seems to be stuck halfway through one list despite being connected to WiFi for the last 12hrs.

Nokia lumia 920, Norway .

had same problem, but it seems that it download, cause progress indication stopped at track 2 of 10, but when I toggled offline button it had downloaded 6 tracks. So it might be just the progress indication, there should be a progress bar, not just an icon.

but I did feel the download took ages. 56 mbit, and took many minutes

Confirming this as a same issue here.

I have not been able to find any way to tell the client to download playlists.  I have had some success getting it to cache songs played previously, but not always - quite often it will still discard the data and not cache it for starred tracks.

Edit:  This is on a Lumia 920.

[WP8] Somehow I managed to get my Playlist from my desktop to my Spotify app on my Nokia 920 (no sync option avaliable that I could find). I guess it syncs automatically if you have app on both desktop and phone.

I see all the songs on my phone under the Playlist I created. And I made sure I made them all avaliable 'offline' from my destop. When I play the first song (on my phone) it plays but stops after if finishes. Why doesn't it play all the way thru the Playlist. I can't even get the Playlist to play thru the Playlist on my desktop! I have the Premium accnt (30 day trial). One thing for sure. When trial is up I won't pay for something I can't use like I want.

Same issue for me with my Lumia 920. Very frustrating as it's the main reason I wanted the app.

Hi there!

Phone: Lumia 920

Network: 4G / WiFi

Error Message: None

Problem:

1. My Playlists dont seem to be downloadable. When i select them for downloading, it just quits again after a few seconds.

2. Can't play ANYthing! When i select any song (doesn't matter if from search or from playlists), it just shows the loading animation on top of the screen infinitely!

Thanks for taking care!

Jeremy

O2 - UK

HTC 8X

1) Took several goes to download a playlist of ~260 tracks - indicated they had all completed but they hadn't

2) When I tried to play them back in offline mode it either completely hung the app, or occasionally they started playing but sounded terrible quality

3) eventually after not going back online at all they started playing fine, but still sometimes I come back to my phone and all of a sudden I'm getting 'Cannot play this track in offline mode' but...

4) ... Leave it half an hour and all is OK again

5) Often the playlist will only display the first 30 or so items, again leave the app and come back a few mins later and all back again

6) Hold FFWD doesn't skip through a track (though please I literally beg of you just implement touch-based scrubbing like every touch-screen audio player ever has had until windows phone)

7) App doesn't seem to ever reopen in the state you left it - always dumps you back to start screen. Doesn't seem to be able to pick up playing where you left off, even on a track by track basis let alone at a point in a track.

I'd love to give some specific error messages but there don't seem to be any - the app just seems to be extremely temperamental. My phone is almost at its limit on storage FWIW.

Great work getting the beta out guys, please try and iron out the issues to make it truly usable.

I don't know whether to create a new thread for this, but I too am having all kinds of problems with offline mode.

Some times I'll start Spotify and it'll claim the the playlists I've said should be available offline aren't available.  It also still hasn't downloaded everything in any of those playlists for use in offline mode.

Other times it will display those playlists are being downloaded, or as being available, but they're not.  Other times it will say they're not available - it's completely inconsistent.

There's also no way to force downloading a playlist so it's cached.

Then of course there's that critical bug where it's using GPRS/LTE bandwidth even when you tell it not to - where Sync over 3G is disabled.

I've also noticed bugs where some times the actual on/off switch for features will be the opposite to what you've previously set it to, without having changed it.  Sometimes you exit the app and come back, and it's changed again.  Other values seem to be never be persisted, but I can't recall which.

Overall, a serious number of critical bugs in this app, and I'd have expected them fixed by now.

Other bugs:

The play queue/recently played list never seems to have any data in it.

got same issue,

tho spoity dont care if you aint going main-stream, as usual.

-----------------------------------------------
im no sheep, im gonna say what i think.

Same issue here.

HTC 8x

Can see all my playlists, select for download but nothing.

Any assistance out there?  May have to ditch my subscription and move over to XBox music!

USA

Nokia Lumia 920

Windows 8.0.10211.204

mostly WiFi

I can get my playlists to download and almost completely too. It also always skipps over my 6th playlist completely. Anyways, they do sync to ofline but if I back out of the app or leave my phone alone for too long all the progress it made with syncing completely dissapears. I could have 5 tracks down or 500, doesnt matter, they all need to be synced again. 

Another thing, I don't know if this is realted, but when I logged onto spotify on my computer a few hours ago all my playlists on there seem to have magically de-synced as well. I've only had the windows phone for 4 days now and this is the only time my computer desynced as well.

Recently got a Windows 8 phone and am having the same issue, and I am finding it exceptionally frustrating.

have tried to sync my playlist on Lumia 920 a number of times all to no avail. I have installed and uninstalled the app 5 times. Think it is time to give up. It would be great if the app worked seamlessly like the android app does. FAIL! Time to dump my Spotify account me thinks. I know it says the app is beta but really windows phone 8 has been around for a long time now!

I have the same issue. Some songs are sync'ed okay, but the entire playlist does not. Do see a grey download symbol, but nothing happens.

- Australia

- Nokia Lumia 620

- Windows Phone 8 8.0.10211.204

- Firmware 1030.6407.1308.0002

- Wifi

- App version 2.0

- Core version 0.6.4.112.gf895e1a1

- No error messages.

I love Spotify and it was working great until 2 weeks ago. Now I can't get anything at all to play. Not my playlist or any song or artist. I tried everything I could think of. I'm hoping someone can help me find a solution or I'm canceling my premium subsription.  It used to stop playing on my pc if I started playing a song on phone, now it's like it doesen't recognize phone. Appreciate anyone's help.

@Cartes wrote:

I love Spotify and it was working great until 2 weeks ago. Now I can't get anything at all to play. Not my playlist or any song or artist. I tried everything I could think of. I'm hoping someone can help me find a solution or I'm canceling my premium subsription.  It used to stop playing on my pc if I started playing a song on phone, now it's like it doesen't recognize phone. Appreciate anyone's help.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Can you try logging out and back in again on the phone? Then see if it will play. 

If not, try a clean reinstallation of the app. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have tried all the fixes. Does not work. Spotify needs to fix this app.

App quality on WinPhone is appaling. MS and Nokia needs to fix this. Had high hopes for winphone 8 as a good platform. After 6 months. Not so much. I'm either going for a new nexus or back to iPhone if iOS 7 looks nice.

OK, so I am testing out Spotify to see whether I will pay for Spotify, Nokia Music+ or XBox Music. I would rather Spotify as I have a Sonos. However, although Nokia Music+ and XBox Music work great with my Lumia 920 the interface for Spotify is not only poor but trying to sync for offline mode is completely hit or miss. Seriously, did anyone test this app before it was submitted? It is so poor I can't believe anyone actually did. I can't tell what is syncing and what isn't. You get a bar showing a download now and again but most of the time it isn't there. I can't tell WHY things aren't syncing, at least if it said "can't do this at the moment due to xxx" I would know what is happening. But no, it is a bit random, you have to second guess and assume something will happen at some point. Does it even sync when the app is not actually running? Who knows, doesn't seem to for me but then I can't tell what the hell is going on! Seriously, someone should sort this out. You are going to lose potential customers with poor apps like this, I am on the verge of giving up and choosing one of the other services.

Same problem here. It downloads and completes. You then go in to offline mode and it says playlist not available in offline mode. Even though storage says 1.5gb in spotify and as soon as I'm online again it recognises that I've downloaded the playlists. Needs fixing fast!!

Suggested posts