Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

WP8 Request - (Radio, User Interface, Other Features missing, etc)

WP8 Request - (Radio, User Interface, Other Features missing, etc)

I've had my Nokia Lumia 920 for a month and love it.

I've been a premium user of Spotify for a year, starting from my pc then getting it for my iPhone.

The interface on iOS is amazing. With how beautiful the Windows 8 os is I was hoping for the same thing.

I download the WP8 app on my phone to see that it has been extremely neglected. Aside from the bugs in it, the app is not friendly to navigate through and is missing one of its key features- the radio feature. Why? And the issue with this feature was brought up back in February and we still haven't heard anything about it?

Back to the bugs- the app is always crashing.

-After a playing a few songs from my playlist, it'll stop playing anything altogether.

-The navigation through my playlist is unbearable (on my starred playlist, I have 1700 songs). It'd be nice to have better shuffling at least.

-Why is there no play random option when opening a playlist? Or 'shuffle playlist' option at all? There is one for the iOS.

-I can only 'Star' individual songs. It'd be nice and convenient to have an option to "Star" a whole album.

-The interface... Fixing these things and making the navigation more user-friendly would be amazing and then the interface change wouldn't be a necessity. But if you're going to make an app like this, why not make it look consistent across all platforms? It doesn't feel like spotify. If you follow the template for the iOS mobile app I feel like everything about it can be 10 times better. I'm sure there's many GUI designers on this site that wouldn't mind at all designing the interface. Heck even I wouldn't mind doing it if it meant that the experience on the windows 8 OS was improved.

Like I said I love Spotify, and I have a premium subscription because I can listen to whatever I want when I want and wherever I want. The streaming sounds beautiful on my phone. But as much as I don't want to, I am ready to cancel my subscription and use a different streaming service like Rdio. It's just too buggy on the WP8.

Please at least give us some kind of assurance that the radio feature will become available in the near future, or that there's a nice big update coming for the app? I really love the services. I want to keep using it.

14 Replies

Hey there!

I've moved your topic over here in the help section since its more a list of bugs than an actual idea. Your title was about the missing radio feature for WP8, which was demanded here already. I will escalate it to the staff and see if I can get an official review about this idea for you! Might take some days, since it's weekend. 😉

Sorry, the title of the post should have been something else!

I updated it so that it's not specifically just about Radio support, but also the other features as well.

Thanks for the reply!

I totally agree with travfan... i just made the switch from iphone over to the nokia 1020 and the first app i downloaded was spotify to only realize that one it didnt have radio support, and two that it couldnt sync local files.  Update please!

I upgraded from nexus 4 to Lumia 1020 and the radio feature is one of my used features and now its gone.  It was one of the ways i found most of my starred music while i was driving, now i have to actually search for stuff one song at a time....

Wow, I'm really disappointed.
I've ummed and Ahh'ed about the migration to Windows Phone 8 and Spotify was one of those killer apps that was holding me back. I check the forum to find its released and say to myself. "I'll get a Nokia when my contracts up"

Got myself a nice new Lumia 925, this was the first App installed on it. Flat out doesn't work
After logging in with my Facebook details eventually it dragged down my playlists. the UI seems almost broken with unlabelled sliders (I assume for offline mode) tapping a song gets the typical MS sliding balls at the top of the screen, if your lucky it will goto the now playing screen and display blank boxes and never start the song. Checking the App settings shows the App thinks its not connected to the internet even though I have a HSPA connection and a wifi connection.

Device - Nokia Lumia 925, straight out of the box
app version - 2.0

Core version 0.6.4.113.gf895e1a1

Welcome to the club. To put it in one sentence: Spotify doesn't care about WP. Solution: Get yourself a different phone or switch to another streaming service (Deezer is pretty decent but not available in the US). I ran into the same trap. Spotify made it clear more than once that they are not committed to WP and therefore do not want any WP customers except for subsidizing iOS and Android developments (which is basically what you're doing when paying 10 bucks a month for a non-working service, not to mention the lack of features compared to the other OSs).

What bothers me the most is: I can't filter nor sort songs in my downloaded playlists. How am I supposed to find a song in an unsorted list of 2k tracks?

@OP: shuffle is available in the bottom menu

Haha, I have exactly the same problem. But as said, I don't think anybody at Spotify really bothers about WP. 

Anything yet? This is really unbearable I am considering not renewing my 12 month subscription to premium. I used to reccomend Spotify to friends, not so much anymore.

-Matt 

to log on you cant use facebook login details you have to use your username and password for spotify, i had the same stupid issue where it would never play a song, that is until i used the spotify logon details and bam all of a sudden i could listen to music.   oh and btw why pay them just open a new free email, look for yourself on thier desktop client and save your playlist from your old account, you get free spotify that way, Its what im going to do till they fix the issue as i refuse to pay them for this **bleep** tacular service on WP8

Hey there.

I know these are cool features, but sadly I don't think Spotify will implement these 😞

I'm just unsure about this. Spotify in my opinion is not interested in Windows Phone platform...

Please understand, this is just my opinion, I'm not working 4 Spotify.

Just echoing the issues everyone's already detailed. Specific issues:

-app crashes at random
-sometimes volume button becomes unresponsive because of the app.
-songs refuse to advance
-weird flickering when skipping tracks through the OS wide slide down feature (tapping the volume rocker)
-entering the app through that same method - tapping the song title after pressing the volume rocker- reloads the app as opposed to simply jumping straight to what's currently playing

Main features missing:

-radio
-easier way to explore music - especially mew music and playlists.

Lumia 920
USA
App version 2.0
Core version 0.6.4.113.gf895e1a1

If spotify is truly ignoring windows phone its a poor reflection on them across the board. Many of us might own multiple devices on various OSs. And if its not working as expected, word of mouth becomes quite effective in sharing displeasure. Never mind the recent reports that windows phone is gaining some serious traction globally. Missed opportunity in my opinion.

It is a pity to see that Spotify Dev folks are even not replying even not caring about their users feedbacks here.

Considering than even Vine and Instagram decided to fully develop their apps on WP8 (seeing well the rising market share of this OS), it is a lack of vision to not consider updating the WP8.

As a starter Spotify Premium user, I am extremely disappointed.

Agreed. With the momentum that Windows phone is seeing it seems careless to not pay more attention.

That said, I've been using spotify on an android device for a few days, and while it has more features, its nearly as buggy as the windows phone app.

I think it might be time to move on to another service...

Suggested posts