Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Web Player][Connect] Support Sonos speakers in web application

[Web Player][Connect] Support Sonos speakers in web application

I can't find my Sonos speakers in the web application (open.spotify.com), when I click on the 'connect to a device' button in the right bottom corner.

If I click on the button, all I see are my smart home speakers, such as Alexa, but no Sonos speaker is listed. 

Works perfect in the iOS app though.

21 Replies

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. My SONOS One speaker can't be found in the web application, whereas it works with the Android app. Have you found a fix / workaround ?
On top of that, I have noticed the following bug: if open.spotify.com is open on my computer (and logged into my account), I can't stream to my Sonos speaker from the Android app. Clicking on this device does not do anything, until I close the browser tab on my computer.
Thanks

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

It's a good idea to restart the device and then to log out and log back in again. We'd suggest you also clear the cache and cookies of the browser. 

You can also send us a screenshot of how the Connect to a device button looks like. When did the issue occur? We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Ver,

I have restarted the Sonos Speaker --> No change

Log out / log back (Done on Spotify Web App) --> No change

Delete then register again Spotify in Sonos app --> No change

Clear cookies, history, cache --> No change

This is what the 'Connect to a device' button looks like :

mat4444_0-1610013752803.png

I only see the current browser tab and my Google cast devices. The Sonos speaker which is visible in the Android app, is not available in the Web app.

I am not sure when the problem appeared, but it used to work a few months ago.

Any other idea ?

Thank you !

Hey @mat4444,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Could you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall on your devices? This one is more thorough than the usual one. In case you're using an SD card for your phone, you can remove it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD.

It's also a good idea to try with another account. That way we can check if it's an account-related issue. Are there any changes?

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Ver,
I followed the steps you mentioned (clean reinstall + new account), but it does not work.
Actually, I am not sure what is the purpose of reinstalling the app. My issue is related to the web player.

Hi again @mat4444,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Could you try unlinking your Spotify and Sonos account, restarting both devices, then linking them again? Just follow the steps in this article.

Also, try restarting your router by unplugging it from power for at least 15 seconds.

If that doesn't do the trick, could you try downloading the desktop app and letting us know if the issue persists there?

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi,

I mentioned I tried unlinking the Sonos and Spotify accounts. I also restarted the devices and my router several times during this troubleshooting. It didn't help.

However, with the desktop app, I am able to see and connect to my Sonos speaker. So the problem is definitely on the web app.

Hey @mat4444,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

Could you try the web player on another browser and using an incognito/private window? Any differences?

If possible, it's also worth trying with a different connection, such as a mobile hotspot to see if that does the trick.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Your suggestions didn't help. However, I have identified some situations where it works:

- If I play a song on my Sonos speaker from the Android App, the speaker will appear in the web app.

- If I use a voice command (Google Assistant) directly on my Sonos One speaker to play a Spotify song/playlist, the speaker will appear in the web app.

However the player won't appear in the web app if another source was previously playing on my Sonos (Sonos radio, AirPlay stream etc.), while it is visible in the Android app.

Hey @mat4444

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We’re happy to hear you managed to fix this with the workarounds you describe. 

Еnjoy your music! 

Hey,

You have linked your Spotify account in the Sonos app? Then it should appear in the web player too.

The web player does not support device discovery on the local network (expect for Google Cast in Chrome) so you must login to the device via Spotify mobile app or desktop for it to appear in the devices list.

Regards,
Magnus

Hello Ivan,

I am sorry, but it's not an acceptable fix. They are unnecessary additional steps that ruin the user experience. Could you bring this issue to the developers team ?

Thanks

Hey, yes, as mentioned several times, my Spotify account is linked to my Sonos account.

I'm having the exact same issue.

I'm using a chromebook, so the web player is the best option for me (the android app on a chromebook isn't providing a great experience).

Is there a fix planned for device discovery for the web player? That would be awesome 🙂

Hi folks! 

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

As @magnusholmqvist mentioned, the web player doesn't support device discovery on the local network. Currently, it's necessary to login to the device via Spotify mobile app or desktop for it to appear in the devices list.

@yroey, in this case, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Just adding my +1 to this. Also having the same issue. 
From this thread, spotify staff seem to indicate that sonos should show in Spotify Web if spotify is linked in Sonos but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

The only way to get a speaker to show is to connect to it on mobile and then continue the session from Web... which is not a fix.  

Bumping with the same issue. 
Spotify connect on web will see an Amazon echo but does not see any Sonos devices. 
hoping for a resolution ASAP as I unfortunately cannot use the desktop app in my environment.

Hi there @thomasallan,

Thank you for you reply and feedback in this thread.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Use native Spotify app for Apple Silicon. It works there.

Suggested posts