Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Player Not Working

Solved!

Web Player Not Working

behind corporate firewall. 

original link didn't work. 

beta link did. 

now beta link doesn't work either. 

anyone else having troubles?

79 Replies

Hi,

Am using the spotify webplayer due to corporate firewall. Songs do not play and the player continually skips songs.

I've updated to the latest flash player, not sure why the songs can't be played. Pls help, thank you.

This link did not work, a blank black screen shows up when the page loads and refreshing does not work either. Not sure whats wrong but no music loads.

Mine just doesn't load.

didnt work either

Call me crazy but spotify may care less about the web player than they do about the downloadable application. The reason for this is because the web player's ads can be disabled by popular extensions like adblock. 

I use the web player at work due to firewall constraints, but if you look at the javascript console when you aren't behind a firewall there are still dozens of errors. I'm not saying they are deprecating the web player, but it appears like they aren't really rolling out any new updates. At the very least, if they are patching anything they are keeping it to themselves. Release notes stopped sometime in 2013 (lol). 

Anyway, spotify is a great service but I don't think they are going to support the web player as they are losing ad revenue on it. From a business perspective, there's not much that can be done to fix that aside from giving the web player the axe. 
It could also be that the code for the web player was written really poorly (and in flash might I add) and now they have a lot of tech debt. That could explain the lack of release notes (or be a cause of it) and when they push something, it breaks something else. 

I will say that as of today, I am experiencing a much worse experience than I normally have in the past. It's almost unusable at this point. It truly does seem to slowly be getting worse and worse over the years.

We'll see what happens in the future. I remember grooveshark was a thing for a while but they were doing some pretty illegal stuff regarding copyright laws and look what happened to them. Spotify is legit, so we don't need to worry about this sort of thing. But it's going to be harder for companies that aren't tech giants to compete with spotify. What will result is that we get a sub par product (the web player) and their flagship products (anything they produce that makes ad blocking impossible). 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Using the webplayer - latest firefox, ubuntu 16.04. I get spotify to run and it works. Then, sometimes when I close another window, the spotify window crashes and asks me whether I want to reload or report the problem (which I've done hundreds of times). When is this issue going to be fixed?

Marked as solution

Download flash or use a diffrent browser

Thanks for the help - I already have the latest flash - this bug should
really be fixed instead of spotify suggesting that I should change from
the latest firefox to another browser. Thanks again for your help.Cheers

It's always bringing me to open.spotify.com.  I want to get to play.spotify.com(chromebook version) and its not working!

Is not playing songs over Spotify Web player. When I click to play the song, nothing happens!

I'm  having the same issue. Spotify loads but when I click to play a song nothing happens. Restarted chrome, still an issue. 

what else do i put on there because that did not work 

Tried the beta link and it didn't work also!

What's the solution for this?

Marked as solution

When I cleared the page's cookies it started working again

I was unable to load the web player using this link as well. I am also using chrome 51.0.2704.79

and the page reloads twice then sends me to a "this site is having troubles loading page" and only gives an option to exit the browser. I also pay for spotify so this is a frustrating inconvenience that makes me wonder if I'm wasting my money/time. The other comments make me wonder if this is going to be a constant issue.

Here is a screenshot link to view if file doesn't work...

https://ibb.co/b9zEJ5

Screenshot 2017-04-11 at 13.47.42.png

Add ?http=1 to the end of the url (no slash)

well I'm here trying to listen to my music and I  press play and nothing comes out, I did try to reload the page and the same thing hapens.

Same issue here!

chrome on CentoOS linux

If this is the case, they should offer a quality version of the browser player for Premium members.

Suggested posts