Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Web Player, Windows] Why is a 50-album cap enforced whenever I'm logged in? Is it a bug?

Solved!

[Web Player, Windows] Why is a 50-album cap enforced whenever I'm logged in? Is it a bug?

I've been having this problem since the start of this month, and it affects only the Web Player as the service is fine elsewhere (or at least the Desktop app and iOS).  Long story short, the web player has a problem where artists with 100+ albums stop at the 50 album and doesn't load any more.  It plagues me on all available browsers, incognito/private or not, with or without extensions.   On a whim, I learned that this problem occurs whenever I log-in to my account to use the service as a Premium sub.  To put a nerdy example, I've provided a screen grab of the artist page from Zuntata, the guys behind Space Invaders and Darius.  It should go from Period Zero to Space Invaders Extreme, all 125 or so.  Here's how the web player's artist page looked when I signed out:

Spotify-SignOut.jpg

And here's how it looked when I signed in:

Spotify-SignIn.jpg

It stops at the 50th album (Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors).  The rep from Twitter side of Spotify Support suggest I should make a new account and just transfer everything from my old account.  I don't believe in that theory, because I made a second free account, and I'm getting the same dilemma.

So I don't know what to do or who to talk to share this or if I'm able to get the message across.  I just hope I'm not the only person affected by this apparent issue.

[UPDATE 8/25/20 = Well, it turns out Spotify has updated its browser service so that the 50-album cap is in place even when you're logged off.  So now everyone using the web player, whether or not they have an account, is affected by this.  Neat.  Thanks, Spotify.  Thanks for making it worse.]

[FINAL UPDATE 9/24/20 = Spotify finally updated the web player.  Now the artist pages function the same as the search interface, which means we have to click "See Discography" to find the remains.  But it shows to full albums...so problem solved, I guess.]

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yea, SPOTIFY finally changed the interface as of late September of 2020.  Now it's more clunky, but at least "see discography" showed the complete collection for each artist.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Really?  No one else has encountered this problem on their web player?

I notice the same thing. For artists with more than 50 albums, only the first 50 show on the Web player. This is annoying when trying to listen to the earlier albums for artists.

Ah-ha! That's what's happening. I was having this problem with many missing Philip Glass albums. After reading this post, I counted the number of albums that show up, and it is fifty. I fear that it may be intentional. The page used to have a "show all" button. Now it just says "show more". I don't have a lot of hope for a fix. Spotify has a near monopoly, and seems to be remarkably unresponsive to it's paying customers, even for an internet company.

Marked as solution

Yea, SPOTIFY finally changed the interface as of late September of 2020.  Now it's more clunky, but at least "see discography" showed the complete collection for each artist.

Suggested posts