Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

HP Elitebook

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When I open the spotify web player in chrome (I've tried other browsers as well) it causes black bars (ca. 10 cm height) to flicker on one of the two monitors connected to the laptop. The flicker stops as soon as I close the tab wich as spotify open. I've tried different browsers and using a diffrent cables to connect, nothing seems to work.

16 Replies

Hey @Rock13.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are aware of an issue with the app and are currently investigating it. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

I'm having this exact issue, with the same specs as you. The issue the mod linked to above isn't quite the same (that user's monitor loses connection/shuts off, whereas ours is "just" flickering).

This has made Spotify unusable for me, so I can only hope they'll fix it soon.

Hey @anolinde.

Both issues sound related to each other. So feel free to write down your observation in the Ongoing Issue we linked in our previous post.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I have the same exact problem. Closing Spotify's tab in Chrome stops the black bar flickerings immediately. Opening Spotify brings it back again. Only happens no my second monitor.

Hey @superbarney.

Thanks for letting us know.

Make sure to head over to the relevant thread here.

We'll keep you posted there as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks!

Spotify's response of "We've passed them on to the right teams and after checking this, we've come to the conclusion that unfortunately this isn't something we can help with further on our end." is completely deflective. Yes, it IS their fault fo rshoddy programming. I've tested this on four different video cards which are on four different types of motherboards. So it's NOT hardware dependent. To Spotify: DO YOUR JOB. This is the best music player/database online - don't screw it up.

This issue has been plaguing me at work, a location where I cannot download and install the desktop app requiring the use of the Webplayer.

There 'Black Bars' flicker with intervals of 0.5s to 2s and occur only when the mouse is in motion or the keyboard is used while the Webplayer tab is active.

This again only happens to my primary monitor but never my secondary monitor. I'm very much appalled at the response of Spotify is to deflect the issue rather than take it on board. The other thread linked is of a different issue. Please respond when you can and help rectify this problem. Have been a premium user for years and don't want this relationship tarnished by problem avoidance.

Same exact issue at work, which makes using Spotify impossible as we cannot install any software and only have either Internet Explorer (not supported by Spotify) or Chrome. The hardware specs are:

Dual Monitors: Samsung S22E450

Intel UHD Graphics 620

Windows 10 Enterprise

8GB RAM

Intel Core i5-8350u 1.7 GHz

Shader: 5.1

GL: 4.5

CL: 2.1

Vulkan: 1.0.66

DirectX: 12.0

I had this same issue, Google Chrome Version 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit), Dell, i5-53000U CPU 2.3 GHz, 8 GB Ram, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit x64 processor.

I have a laptop in a docking station that is connected to two monitors. There were black bars with some static that would flash on my primary display if and only if the spotify web player is open.

Unlike some other poster, I am able to install software on my machine so switching from the web player to the desktop app was a good solution for me. There is no flickering and I like the desktop app just as well as the web player.

Same problem here, is there any solution after more than a year?

March 2022 issue still persists.
Windows 10 (latest)
Chrome (latest)

Still a prroblem 3 years after being reported.... lame.

Thats what i been trying to fix, its 2023 jesus

The "relevent thread" seems to be archived and gives an access denied error? Any update on this issue?

09.04.2023 Still not fixed

This is a Spotify issue, not hardware, not drivers, but Spotify.  What's the bet it's got something to do with DRM media enc/decoding?

Suggested posts