Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Player on Chome - 504 error

Web Player on Chome - 504 error

Hi everyone,

I have been using Spotify Web player on my work laptop for a while, but for the past three weeks it has been showing a "504 error".

I've had a look at previous threads about this, and the general advice is to clear all caches/cookies and it should work.  If I do this, I am able to reach the login page and then login, but as soon as this happens the 504 error appears again.  I have tried reinstalling Chrome entirely and the same thing happens.

The confusing part is that a colleague is able to access the web player with no issue whatosever on his work laptop, so it leads me to believe that there is something wrong with my machine.

Would anyone have any further suggestions as to ways to fix this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

5 Replies

Hi OliSpotify

The 504 issue is for Gateway Timeout. So what you want to check is:

• How many active tabs are open in Chrome, your computer will only allow so much traffic at one time. So if you have alot of tabs open, your spotify tab will get queued : causing a possible time out.
  • Make sure you are not behind any sort of Virtual Private Network, the time delay between your router, the VPN and Spotify could cause issues in getting timely responses from the server.

One thing to bear in mind: Google are killing of all Browser API's related to Flash and Java soon - so it could be an issue with the web player being built in flash.

If none of the above works, could you please post what operating system your machine is, what version of chrome you are using.

Also a great way to check what could be going wrong is to open up Chrome Dev Tools, navigate to the Network tab. This will list all network connections for this particulat page, the one having problems (returning 504) will be highlighted red. If you click on this and attach a screenshot of the content of this it will tell you exactly what the problem is, however it will all be in tech mumbo jumbo.

Hope this helps!

Hey,

First of all, thanks so much for your comprehensive reply!

So this problem occurs when I have only one tab open, and I am on the corporate network and so as far as I am aware, we are not on a VPN.  Moreover, one of my colleagues does have it running (although I think on Internet Explorer rather than Chrome) and it has worked for me before.

I am using the following version of Chrome: Version 54.0.2840.99 m

Operarting system is Windows 7

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey,

Ok, so it sounds like the corporate network could be the problem there. Could you do a ping test?

1. Open the Start menu by clicking the orb in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
  2. Type “cmd” in the search bar at the bottom of the menu.
  3. Click cmd found in the search results for Programs.
  4. A black box with a flashing cursor will open; this is the Command Prompt. Type “ping” and then hit the Space bar on your keyboard.
  5. Type in the spotify address: https://www.spotify.com

Once you have completed this if you take a screenshot of the results. What this will do is; send a small amount of data packets (nothing vital just test data) to the spotify web servers. Spotify servers will then respond. It will also give you a time and packet loss to see if maybe the corporate network is filtering requests and packets are being lost, or are hanging too long (the 504 you explained).

Also are you able to check this on Internet Explorer and see if the problem is Chrome related at all? With Google stopping all support for Flash and Java I assume that Spotify will eventually rebuild its web player.

Might I ask why you aren't using the native client? Or is it a corporate IT policy not allowing you to install programs?

Also something to bear in mind is related to THIS IDEA as Flash support is being dropped rapidly across alot of platforms.

Hello, 

Still getting 504 error regardless of browser switch as of this morning.

Chrome Version 54.0.2840.99 m

504 error.jpg

Suggested posts