Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Player on Chrome causes lag/stutter...

Solved!

Web Player on Chrome causes lag/stutter...

Everytime I use open.spotify.com on Chrome it immediately lags my computer up and causes framerate issues in games/videos and even on the desktop, my cursor freezes every couple of seconds. It's not because of hardware acceleration, I tried without it and the same result happens.

Once I close the spotify tab the computer immediately returns to normal so there's definately something going on between Chrome and Spotify. I tested the web player on Firefox (with the same extensions and hardware acceleration) and there is no issue with Firefox.

25 Replies

Yeah, two of my last messages were removed.

The solution here for people to find? Can't have that 🤷‍♂

Marked as solution

Hey @alkku,

Thanks for providing the link with the workaround. Not sure what happened to your original message - apologies for that.

Could everyone who is experiencing this issue try the workaround mentioned there and see if that fixes the issue for you? I'm copying the steps in full below:

1. Close Chrome.
  2. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\
  3. Go into the folder in there with a version number, mine was called 71.0.3578.98.
  4. Delete the WidevineCdm folder.
  5. Open Chrome, navigate to chrome://components and click "Check for Updates" on the Widevine Content Decryption Module, which installs version 4.10.1146.0.
  6. Close Chrome.
  7. Navigate to the folder Euron909 mentioned %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCdm
  8. Rename the folder in there from 4.10.1146.0 to 4.10.1346.0
  9. Open Chrome and test.

Thanks! We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Hi, my version is 4.10.1303.2 and still does not work.

@Peter wrote:

Could everyone who is experiencing this issue try the workaround mentoined there and see if that fixes the issue for you? I'm copying the steps in full below:

Thanks! We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Followed these instructions, fixed it for me, thanks!

(Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Chrome Version 73.0.3683.103 64-bit)

Followed the steps exactly in the Solution and it fixed my stuttering/lagging problem.

If your AppData folder is not visible, go to Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Show hidden files and folders (under File Explorer Options).

No, Peter, I will not jump through those hoops because I'm paying for a poorly engineered mess with a clown-show fix. I will stop paying for Spotify. Freakin' Spotify can't manage to function decently on one of the world's most popular browser and that's the best you have -- and I'm supposed to be paying for this? F y'all. 

Suggested posts