Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web player doesn't do anything when clicking play

Web player doesn't do anything when clicking play

For the last couple of weeks I have been unable to play anything through the web player. I can browse the interface normally, but nothing happens when trying to start playing something (by clicking the play button, clicking the play icon on a playlist, etc). There is no UI feedback indicating any error, nothing happens at all. If I open the browser developer tools, each time I try to play something, the message "TypeError: u is undefined" appears. - Spotify "Premium for Family" account, has been working fine for over a year until now. - Firefox 66.0.5 on Windows 10. I have also tested an older version of Firefox on Windows 10, and Chrome 74 on both Windows 10 and Windows 7, and the problem is the same in all cases. - The problem is the same if I try to log in through an incognito/private tab. - Not using any browser extensions. - I looked through this article: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Can-t-access-the-Web-Player/ta-p/4631438. I checked the "hosts" file as it suggests, but there is nothing in there other than the comment lines explaining what the file does. - Normal home internet connection over wifi. Restarting the router doesn't help.
8 Replies

Hey @gs8oak16ry.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We understand that the Web Player isn't working for you across a variety of devices using a variety of browsers. We're curious if something is wrong with your account so could you try to play music through the downloadable app?

We'd also like to find out if it's something related to your network. So if you have the chance to try a different network, that could also tell us a bit more about what is going on.

Let us know what you can find. Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Try clicking the repeat icon. It should resume your play. This also work when the ad hangs and won't play (this happens to me a lot).

I finally got around to trying the web player at a friend's house and it works there. I still get the same "TypeError: u is undefined" on my internet connection no matter which browser or PC I use. Clicking the repeat icon doesn't seem to help. I dont understand why it suddenly stopped working on my home wifi a couple of weeks ago when I never touch anything on the router? Is it possible that my ISP has started blocking something?

Hey @gs8oak16ry.

Thanks for getting back to us.

It sounds like there something up on your device. Could you try removing Spotify from your Host files to see if that solves the issue? You can read here how.

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that helps! Let us know if it didn't or if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

As I mentioned in my first post, I've already checked the hosts file and there is nothing in there that mentions Spotify. Every line in that file begins with "#".

Hey @gs8oak16ry.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry, we overlooked that part of your original post.

It sounds like something on your network might be preventing Spotify from connecting. Were you able to see if the downloadable app did work?

If that doesn't work as well, try to find out if there is a firewall or antivirus preventing you from accessing our servers.

Hope it'll work. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I'm confident that I haven't changed anything on my computer or my router, I don't fiddle with any of that stuff. I've never used any firewall to my knowledge, and I dont use any antivirus other than the built-in Windows defender.

Spotify had been working fine until about mid or late April and then it stopped working on two computers at the same time both with that "u is undefined" thing. Nothing else stopped working, only Spotify. It seems to me like it's something out of my control that has changed, either Spotify or maybe my ISP or something like that.

Hey @gs8oak16ry.

We still haven't heard from you if the downloadable app from this page does work.

If it doesn't work, we'd like to know what happens if one of your friends or family member logs in on your computer.

Let us know what you can find. Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Suggested posts