Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web player not playing any songs

Solved!

Web player not playing any songs

I'm logged in via Facebook, i can browse artist albulms, etc but i can't play anything. 

If i click play on any song it doesn't update the player at the bottom.

Things i've tried

Logging out and back in

Using the sportify log out everywhere

Different browser

Chrome incognito mode

Clearing cookes + cache

using chrome dev tools - hard reload

I've tried with chrome, chrome incognito and edge.

When looking at the page via the chrome dev tools, everytime i click play i'm getting a 404 error!? 

I've attached the screenshot - the 404 url is this : https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/connect-api/v2/from/49180f1a12bad88a2c896b2a99c5e3c7816dc958/device...

anyone know what is going on?

SpotifyErrors.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @csongetocsaba

Don't worry 🙂 Let's try this:

1. Point your cursor on the album cover where the play symbol appears.

2. Start clicking fast the play cover button, press F5 for refresh while still clicking fast.

3. Keep clicking until the page has fully reloaded.

Then the player is available again for you to use. If it doen't work at the first time, try a second time.

Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

25 Replies

Same here, since a few days. Am using Firefox, but Chrome happens to do the same.

Same here with firefox and chrome. Seems to be a problem at spotify.

Hey all!

Have you tried choosing 'This web player' in the Spotify Connect icon on the left of the volume slider? That seems to be the most common cause for unplayable web player. 🙂

It's possible to use this Spotify Connect trick on desktop and mobile Spotify, and other web players, too.

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty wrote:

Hey all!

Have you tried choosing 'This web player' in the Spotify Connect icon on the left of the volume slider? That seems to be the most common cause for unplayable web player. 🙂

It's possible to use this Spotify Connect trick on desktop and mobile Spotify, and other web players, too.

Let me know how it goes!

that doesn't work either.

I like turtles
Marked as solution

Hey @csongetocsaba

Don't worry 🙂 Let's try this:

1. Point your cursor on the album cover where the play symbol appears.

2. Start clicking fast the play cover button, press F5 for refresh while still clicking fast.

3. Keep clicking until the page has fully reloaded.

Then the player is available again for you to use. If it doen't work at the first time, try a second time.

Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star

MAGIC 🙂
thank you so much!
(i'd like to understand this tho)

I like turtles

Awesome!! :') Keep on rockin'!

(honestly, would like to understand it too, but I assume the session was frozen..)

SebastySpotify Star

That seems to work.....

How come someone else can mark my question as being solved? Seems a bit strange, surely the orignal poster should be the only one alowed to do this!?

Just a note - this wasn't working for me on my chromebook, until I realized that my reload button is F3 not F5 and then it worked like a charm - just in case anyone else wasn't having any luck. Thank you! 

How did the F5 button work? The screen keeps decreasing in size and then you couldn't click quickly?? 

Hey  @user-removed

Seems that your F5 is set to do something else. Don't worry, there's another way to refresh page - hit Ctrl + R simultaneously!

Or you can try this instead:

Right-click, or click the three dots on a song and select 'Copy Song Link'.

Now, paste this on the browser's address bar and hit Enter.

The web player is now loading up the album page the song comes from, and it's supposed to play the song too. When this song plays, you can play anything.

Let me know if you need more help 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty wrote:

. . . it's supposed to play the song too. When this song plays, you can play anything.

The music doesn't automatically start to play in either my Firefox or Chrome Browsers.

I wonder if this is a browser setting. I recently set Chrome not to auto-play my video links, so You Tube videos don't auto-play when I click on a YT link.

Are there any links in Spotify for just single songs, something that doesn't open an album, and truly forces the song to start playing once the page is loaded, without having to press a Play button?

I've posted recently (in the wrong sub-forum) about my web player's Play button "freezing", and how that permanently locks me out of all my music on Spotify. I've seen others post with the same problem, and an "auto-play" page or track from Spotify might resolve many of these problems, with resorting to machine gunning of the Ctrl + F5 keys, which doesn't work for some users, including myself.

Hey @rocklin6977

Well, Spotify does start autoplay when I paste a song link to the address bar. It even does so with playlists.

I would like to know if it has always been freezing on you, or is this issue a recent thing. 🙂

I would try these things on Firefox:

1. Restarting the browser without addons (it's under Help) and seeing if that changed anything.

2. Checking about:plugins. The Widewine Content Decryption Module should say it's enabled. This can be toggled in about:addons, under the Plugins section.

3. Resetting the browser.

Spotify itself has a feature called Spotify Connect. There's a Device Picker on the left of volume bar and choosing 'This web player' should make your web player session active.

Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star

Hi Sebasty

I believe that I've run Spotify for a couple of years without problems.

Until recently I've always run it on the Chrome browser. I would connect to Spotify, tear off a tab, and downsize the tab to the upper right of my desktop, taking up about 15% of a 4K desktop.

I browse the web with many tabs open, sometimes as many as a dozen or more. Chrome opens (and sandboxes) a separate process for each tab, so after a while, Chrome slows down and I need to reboot the browser to defrag and clear some memory space.

To keep the music flowing uninterrupted, I recently decided to continue browsing in Chrome, but run my smaller Spotify tab in Firefox.

However, I save new selections to my playlist in Chrome, so I am switching between browsers at times. And my problems may have begun at that point, I'm not sure.

Today, I skipped that step. I opened Spotify (which was working just fine when I last logged on) in Chrome, navigated to New Music Friday, pressed play and . . . nothing. Just like my mouse button wasn't working.

I Ctrl + f5 rockered different play buttons, still nothing.

I looked at the "connect to" dialog, and it was bright green, but read: "Connected to Firefox". I clicked on it to try to change it, but no response.

So I did what I just discovered as a solution: I copied a song's link to my clipboard, opened it in a new tab (and thus a new Chrome process, etc), pasted, clicked play and Bingo, it works. "Connected to" now reads "this browser" with Firefox as a second choice.

From this new tab, I clicked on New Music Friday and resumed my session. I closed the old, non-working tab.

I guess this is question for Spotify's developers. When the play button freezes, all of the rest of the web interface remains functional. It can't be purely a Chrome problem (because it happens in Firefox), but I don't know if Firefox has copied Chrome's scheme of separate processes for each tab. I'm running the most updated version of each, btw.

Thanks for your time and the latest suggestions, I'll give them a try if I continue to have problems.

One last note.

You continually refer (here and in other threads) to the "Connect to" button as being located to the left of the playline. Mine is—and always has been—located just to the right of the playline.

Are you running the desktop app, or the web player? If the web player, is it the same version as for the rest of us, or are you running a developers or beta version?

You actually wrote to the left of the volume bar. My mistake, never mind.

@rocklin6977

The solution you figured out has actually helped a lot of others too as well as the 'enraged user' method (clicking an album's play button fast and refreshing webpage whilst still clicking fast until the page has reloaded).

I am not exactly sure what's the true cause of this issue, but as long as it's possible to get it back to work, it's nice. Copying song link to a new tab actually causes Spotify to autoplay the song and the album. It didn't autoplay in your case, but it was enough to make things work again. :')

Firefox, the general version is a single-process program. I'm running Nightly which has a process for each tab, a core process + some extra. I had issues with Firefox not releasing memory used by a tab after closing it, so I switched to the beta (Nightly).

I'm glad things are working for you 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

But why does this happen on Spotify? It should not be, and it seems that they do not hear the complaints. I have SlimJet which is a choromium browser and I can not hear the music. Before if I could hear it. These inventions that you make here do not make sense because it should not happen. That they look for the problem and correct, it is happening.

The 'This web player' fix worked for me, thanks!

Suggested posts