Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Webplayer crashes in chrome

Webplayer crashes in chrome

I have been having some trouble using the webplayer recently. I have been using it perfectly fine for a months, but as of late, the tab with the webplayer crashes after about 15 minutes of playing. It doesn't seem to be a quicktime crash like I have seen in other threads, but the entire tab is gone. This happens specifically only with the webplayer, none of my other tabs are affected. Is this a problem with Chrome or Spotify?

The pc is running on windows 10.

Ill provide a screenshot of the error:

10 Replies

I use Firefox; and it's been crashing rather frequently (since Tueday I think), always with the Web Player running.

I've been having similar issues lately.  Latest version of Chrome on Windows 10.  But note there's also a known issue NTOSkernel leaking. I don't think they're related but running out of memory for Windows won't help any in the meantime.   The fact that users are seeing this in Chrome/Linux as well is proof they are separate issues.  I think that one may simply exasperate the other.  

As for the browser and ad-blockers.  I do run an Ad Blocker Plus.  I've added spotify.com to the whitelist of the blocker.  I'll report back in a day or so.  The issue occurs several times per day so should know something rather soon.

Here's the fix that I applied today for the Windows mem leak (so too soon to know whether it's working or not)... but if you want to try it:

1. Open Regedit.exe as admin
  2. browse to HKLM, System, ControlSet001, Services, Ndu
  3. find the key called 'Start'
  4. change the value to 4.   the default is 2.  4 disables the feature which has something to do with "Network Data Usage monitoring".  

Testing the Windows leak fix will be a little longer.  I run into the issue maybe once or twice per week.

Will post back with results.

UPDATE 04/26/16 10:00am CST:  Whitelisting spotify.com in my adblocker plus plugin for Chrome has been working great.  Before I'd either get a little gray box stating "Can't play spotify... (can't remember exact words)"  OR Chrome would crash with an "Aw, snap!" page.  Now seems to be running smoothly.

UPDATE 04/26/16 11:56am CST:  Wrote too soon.  Just got that message again, "Can't connect to Spotify.  Trying again now..."  My could easily be security measures in place where I work.  Here's a screen of the error:

chrome_2016-04-26_11-54-26.png

I have the same problem. Hope they fix this really soon since I can't use the player app on certain machines...

It's been years and this is still not fixed. Unacceptable. Make Spotify great again!

Hmm, thats weird, I have been using it for a while, and only recently started having troubles with it.

I was having the same issue that started a couple of weeks ago: My web player would crash after a half hour or something like that.

It looks that most people who have this error also have some ad blocker installed. (I use an altered  version of the Hosts file.)

Some users of uBlock (uBlock Origin) reported that after several hundred requests were blocked, Spotify would crash.

I installed uBlock Origins today and I haven't had a crash yet. (Although the program only reports between 10-20 requests blocked (maybe because the combination with the Hosts file?))

I'll let you know if this works.

Adblocker can definately crash your Tab, but if you have changed some hidden and experimental settings in chrome://flags it will most likely crash your Tab, my suggestion is that always use stable version of your browsers and do not change a single hidden setting on it. Also when reinstalling your browser remember to clear your cache with CCleaner. And most definately do not use any Stylish scripts.

Hi there,
I've experienced exactly the same issue as well. It all startet out of a sudden 1-2 weeks ago. 
The web player plays 4-6 songs and then the memory usage of my browser increases drastically until there is no memory left which leads to a crash of the tab and/or browser.
I tried it with Chrome (90 and 91) and Firefox on Windows 10 and Linux and on different systems - always with the same result.
It definetly seems to be an issue on the website or its libraries/frameworks, since no browser update has been made.

I hope this will be fixed soon and until then someone finds a way to prevent the issue, because it is pretty annoying and makes Spotify unusable for me!

Unfortunately the Spotify desktop app is no option for me.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: The issue seems to be fixed - everything works fine again right now.

Suggested posts