Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Webplayer stutter

Webplayer stutter

Hi,

My webplayer is randomly stuttering and i cant find out how to fix it. My connection, while not the best in the world, is perfectly fine and all other media works fine on my browser.

I have tried all the browsers (Generally use firefox, but i tried chrome and internet explorer) cleared cache and still stutters.

This issue has started around 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

16 Replies

Hi @spotmebrah,

There are a couple of possible solutions to it.

One is to change the Power Options setting in the Control Panel to High Performance.

You can also check if your sound card drivers are up to date, as well as your system using Windows Update. Issues like this are normally linked to sound card issues, so it might even be worth checking the manufacturers website for newer drivers.

Let me know if it works!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have checked my drivers, all up to date. I have also turned the power options to high performance.

I dont think this has much to do with my sound drivers, as the actually webplayer also stops (sometimes for a few seconds) all the buttons on the web player still work, and i can go on to the next song etc. but will not play the song.

I should also mention that the webplayer will occasionally not play and skip the last few seconds of songs.

Is there anyone one else out there having a similar problem that has managed to fix it?

Hi,

I hope someone is following this thread, and that me replying to myself isnt against the rules.

I have a tool that allows me to look at javascript issues with pages and i have noticed that when the player stutters i get the following error:

[FB] error

this error occurs here:

https://play.spotify.edgekey.net/client/a18691c/js/spotify.web.client.js line 415

Btw, i have tried the webplayer on another machine, and i have the exact same stuttering issue, so its not related to my machine.

Thanks.

Hi @spotmebrah,

have you also tried disabling hardware acceleration in Spotify's preferences?

BittencourtSpotify Star
Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 22.02.05.png

Thanks again for the reply,

This issue is with the web player and not the desktop app. I have not tried the desktop application.

Hmm.

There is a topic with users experiencing the same problem - some of them found their solutions.

Maybe you can get some useful information...

BittencourtSpotify Star

I have massive problems with stutter as well, much like spotmebrah.

It started suddenly a few weeks ago - no hardware changes, no network changes. Didn't mess with drivers. Other streaming services work fine, clearing the cache doesn't help. I also don't see any excessive resource usage.

I can't help but wonder whether the problem lies with Spotify's servers? In any case, this issue makes the webplayer practically unusable.

I use the client on another, inferior laptop, that gives no issues.

I'm also having the same issue. It seems to have started a few months ago. At first I thought it was a Windows 10 issue combined with shell because I have having the issue on two computers with the same set up. I uninstalled shell from one of the computers and the issue continued. I also just got a new computer and it was fine for an hour and now it's doing it non-stop. I DON'T notice this much on Mac. Could Spotify have programming issues with Windows 10? (Seeing that rolled out about the time I noticed the issue.)

Cause: Web browser cache if full or almost full

Solution: On Firefox v47x, goto SETTINGS >  OPTIONS > ADVANCED > NETWORK > change CACHED WEB CONTENT limit to 1024 (1Gb)

This might be an overkill, but its better to have a huge cache and clean it regularly. I use Ccleaner to clear my cache once every week. Link: http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

I have the same issue with the spotify web player... I have been able to isolate the issue to my mouse.  If I move my mouse in circles in the middle of the play.spotify.com window i can get the stutter to happen upon command.  The stutter will also last as long as i keep moving the mouse.  this is a resources issue in my opinion with their code.

You should all see if you can move your mouse around in circles in the web player and see if this reproduces stutter.

As of yet I have not found a way to resolve it.

@CThatcher wrote:

I have the same issue with the spotify web player... I have been able to isolate the issue to my mouse.  If I move my mouse in circles in the middle of the play.spotify.com window i can get the stutter to happen upon command.  The stutter will also last as long as i keep moving the mouse.  this is a resources issue in my opinion with their code.

You should all see if you can move your mouse around in circles in the web player and see if this reproduces stutter.

As of yet I have not found a way to resolve it.

Hmm, doesn't seem to happen when I do it. 

Hello Bittencourt. I have this problem as well, and I'm going to have to
interject right now to tell you that I'm an IT guy... and your solutions
have been unrelated to the problem in question, and you've been disregarding
the OP's information. 

Your first answer was about power management. That is entirely unrelated to
this issue. No, before you answer, power management isn't scaling back your
sound adapter to save energy. This answer was pure nonsense.
However - the driver advice was correct.

Your second response did not refer to the web player, which is where the
problem lies. You talked about the app, instead. 

You then referenced another thread about a similar problem, though you can
see in the OP's post that he doesn't know the difference between Chrome (web
player) and Linux (an operating system). In fact, this entire thread refers
to Linux (Ubuntu) operating systems, which the OP of this thread may or
may not be using. If that weren't enough, the OP actually also mentioned this
happens on several different machines. So the thread you linked is all but
unrelated. You were giving up on helping, that's what was happening.

Sorry, but this was poor technical support. There's no way to dislike so I'm
pointing it out.

So: Some real advice. You need to test your connectivity to the web player and ensure that it isn't internet/network traffic. One easy way to do this is to (assuming this is Windows) go to start -> run and type in "cmd". Then when you hit enter you'll be in a command-prompt. You're going to type "tracert play.spotify.com". Try it a few times. If it fails, there's some kind of interruption between you and Spotify's server. Same problem if it's just highly delayed. At that point it's hard to say where the slowdown is. Try making sure no local network traffic is happening (no downloads etc) and try it. 

Hey @Videshi, thank you for your enlightenment here. Unlike you, I'm not an IT guy. I'm just a regular user with some good will trying to help the others. 

For a more professional support I suggest you get in touch with the Spotify staff - simply drop them a line on social media (Twitter or Facebook) or by using the contact form. Make sure, if you use the latter, to reply to the automated email you'll receive directing you back to the help pages, even if it's from a no-reply.

Support usually gets back within a day or two.

Hope this was more helpful.

Have a great day,

BittencourtSpotify Star

Hi Bittencourt,

Here's the thing - you didn't know the answer, you don't know what you're talking about, but you came onto this forum and offered tech advice. Your advice was completely unrelated because you don't know what you're talking about.

So... It was not helpful. It is never helpful when you do that. It's the opposite of helpful to make people think you know the answer, have them follow your directions, and have it have zero effect on their problem.

I see this all the time, and I'm making it a general rule to shut down this behaviour when I see it. Giving out random solutions when you don't know what you're talking about isn't helpful at all and I'm not sure what would drive people to do it. Nothing personal, you're just another guy doing this getting a reality check from me.

I get similar issues, and, as I'm on a chromebook, cannot use the app.  For me, Spotify has an annoying habit of skipping songs in the midde, and not just the last few seconds.  I'll be halfway in, or even just 5 seconds in, and it'll skip.  I hate it.  All I want is to stream some music while I work.

Suggested posts