Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When I open spotify, there are already songs playing by strange artists that seem fake.

When I open spotify, there are already songs playing by strange artists that seem fake.

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Samsung S8, 2018 Dell Laptop, 2013 Macbook Air

Operating System

Android 8, Windows 10, Mac Snow Leopard

My Question or Issue

When I open spotify (or after leaving it open but paused for a long time), it starts playing weird songs on its own, saying they're being played by web browser (chrome). I never use the web browser for spotify. The songs are all by artists that have <10000 monthly listeners, don't show up when googled, and have similar album cover art. Some examples (and you can get more by clicking through "fans also like"):

dopemanbeats

allstarplayers

dirtypaperman

paperfiends

skysdarkerthannight

brandedbracnh

If I had to guess, someone has gotten an auth token and is using it to inflate the listen counts on fake artists. All the songs sound procedurally generated. 

3 Replies

Hi @Slepzz

It might be that someone else has gained access to your Spotify account. Check out this Spotify Answer for the next steps to take as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I changed my password, but when I tried clicking "sign out everywhere" I got an error message:

{"error":"server_error","error_description":"Unexpected status: 404"}

@Slepzz please try using a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE). If the problem persists, can you write wich browser and operating system you used?

Suggested posts