Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why are you removing your app from my smart tv?

Why are you removing your app from my smart tv?

I have a Vizio Smart TV. Every time I open my Spotify App, it tells me that it will soon be unavailable and to "visit (a website) to see where you can further play Spotify Music" . 

Why?

There were a couple of bugs about a year and a half ago but I haven't seen any other issues. Is it a licensing issue?

Either way, Spotify goes everywhere with me; from my phone to my office computer to my car, to my home Bose audio to my tv to my laptop and iPad. Essentially, wherever I am, I appreciate the fact that I can pick up Spotify anywhere I am and habitually implement this practice. 

So, again, why are you removing your app for smart TVs, or is it just specific brands? I'm not sure I'd be so irritated if I knew the reasoning behind the issue. 

10 Replies

The app is not longer functioning on my Vizio E40-C2. I went to Vizio support and they told me that "..the decision to stop supporting the app was made by Spotify themselves, and VIZIO has no control over this." Really bad move Spotify, I've been a loyal premium member since day one in the U.S. and really don't have an alternative way to connect the service to my T.V. and attached sound system. Very smug move when there are so many options available in the streaming world.

I'm in the same boat. My solution? Since I have an Xbox One and it supports Microsoft's Groove Music, I'm canceling my Spotify subscription and moving over to Groove. I've loved having Spotify, but REFUSE to buy new hardware to replace my perfectly good year-old hardware just to maintain compatibility. If I end up not liking Groove, my TV also supports Pandora. Bottom line is I'll find something I like. If Spotify can't make money using its current business model, that's not my problem.

Spotify wants to remove their app from Smart TV's so you can buy more costly equipment to connect to your TV.  I think it's awful.  Some of us cannot afford the equipment.  They just cannot keep things simple and leave the app right there on the Smart TV.  I love listening to Spotify on my Smart TV and with other devices that I have.  

Antone Thatcher

Believe I'll buy a Google Chromecast and see if I can get to Spotify via it. Next time I buy a "smart T.V., (which I hope isn't for a long time) wo;; make sure it has web browsing capability along with "apps". 

I know the Samsung Smart TV has a web browser and it will continue to have the Spotify App.

Antone Thatcher

Yeah it's awful that Spotify is removing their App from Vizio TV's on August 14th.  I know first hand that it will still be on the Samsung Smart TV.  

Antone Thatcher

Thanks for contacting Vizio support.  So it is all Spotify that is removing their App, huh?  You don't know why, do you?  I will miss it on my Vizio Smart TV.  

Antone Thatcher

No, Samsung wont. Mine no longer has the app. I will try the web browser though

I agree, this was a really **bleep**ty move by Spotify.

It's been removed from LG smart TV's as well.  Shame on you Spotify, my Telco is paying for my subscription, otherwise I would quit your service.  Yes, it seems Spotify want to force you to by other hardware and probably getting paid hansomely for it.  Corporate greed, welcome to our brave new world!!

Suggested posts