Why did the Roku App Change? Boring UI

Plan

Free

Country USA

Device

Roku 3710x Roku Express Plus

Operating System

Roku 9.2.0

My Question or Issue: Why did the Roku App Change?? Boring User Interface now.

•  This is purely an opinion post but I really hope that Spotify and Roku uses this as Feedback. It's not often that you enjoy a technology products so much that when changes occurs, you feel the need to create an account and write publicly 

I used to be a member Spotify really long time ago - I think it was around 2011. I didn't like the fact that Spotify stored so much local storage in my phone and that put a bad taste in my mouth. Since then things have changed drastically technology-wise and I decided to give Spotify a try again. I have both an Android device in a Roku but I only use Spotify on Roku.

About two weeks ago I decided to install Spotify on my Roku and I was pleasantly surprised add how the user interface were so colorful and looked unlike almost anything else on Roku. I also enjoyed how they had all the different colorful tabs of genres, playlists, Etc. Laid out in graphical cubes of different sizes ( which changed each day you logged in) I have about four or five music apps on my Roku in this quickly became my new favorite. In fact, when I was stressed out it made me feel good just the way it operated smoothly and looked pleasant. One of my only stress outlets in this whole covid-19 thing.

I had to hit home on my Roku to check something out and when I went back into the Spotify app today, oh man...What did they do? It's changed!? Same old plain black background, generic Roku looking app that every other lower-tier streaming movie or TV show app uses - but worse.

Everything is lined up neatly right next to each other but it completely sucked out all the creativity and Implement of colors a and enjoyment of the previous app. I know this is just a subjective opinion but: Why does everything have to be a cookie cutter copy of everything else when it comes to technology these days? And, why do app developers feel the need to completely change the look of an app SO often right when we're getting used to it? ( if there are no technical issues that is)

-End of opinionated feedback-  lol

In closing, Spotify please consider reverting back to the previous app. There was nothing wrong with it, it loaded quickly and it wasn't confusing. It was really nice! Cheers.

Be easy on me with this post. I actually typed out a post as long as this, my phone was dying, the website wouldn't allow me to cut and paste what I typed prior it dying so I had to take a Screenshot of everything typed out - THEN go charge the phone, load a note taking app, put the phone in split screen mode, and then retype everything back out copying what was on the screenshots! (probably took 1 hour and 20 min) I'm just very frustrated in general lol. I think all that should be worth a consideration of putting the app back the way it was. 🙂 Edit: just spent another 45 minutes because the forum won't let me post this: error, error, error. Horrible experience. By the way, I had to click on about 24 captcha codes - no exaggeration. I've been involved with technology for about 25 years and had my own IT company. Your forum is horrible.

4 Replies

They changed the user interface on the Android TV app as well and it is bad. Nearly the entirety of the user interface is now scrunched down into the lower half of the screen. It is truly a bad design. Why big companies have to constantly make their user interfaces worse and less user intuitive is beyond me, but Spotify really pushed out a **bleep** with this latest update

The "bleep"ed the word t u r d. How embarrassing for everyone involved.

Thank you for your understanding and empathy lol 🙂

I was so upset that they changed the Roku layout.  It's so bland and basic.  The previous layout was perfect, now I hardly ever use it anymore.

Suggested posts