Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Why no updates for Windows Phone?

Why no updates for Windows Phone?

peder2
Regular

On my Samsung Android device I get updates from Google Play for the Spotify app a couple of times a week as it seems (no idea what all the updates are for, must be back end stuff). On my Nokia Windows 8 Phone however, there are no updates available even though there are many functions still missing compared to the Andriod version.

Does anyone know why Spotify ignores Windows Phone?

5 Replies

Re: Why no updates for Windows Phone?

Chromana
Music Fan

Current market shares for the different platforms in September 2013 in the USA:

Share (%) of Smartphone Subscribers
  Jun-13 Sep-13 Point Change
Android 52.0% 51.8% -0.2
Apple 39.9% 40.6% 0.7
BlackBerry 4.4% 3.8% -0.6
Microsoft 3.1% 3.3% 0.2

That probably has a lot to do with it. Spotify is simply going to put in effort where there is the most demand.

At one point a couple years ago the Android app was seriously lagging behind and still using design elements from years before then. But since Android is such a big player these days they have focussed more on the platform.

Source: http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Press_Releases/2013/11/comScore_Reports_September_2013_U.S._Smartph...

Joe
Community Legend

Spotify is available in other countries too though :) I also believe that WP is more popular in Eastern European countries.

Peter__
Community Legend

Still small if you look worldwide though too:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Joe
Community Legend

@Peter__ Why do I get this feeling of Déjà vu?

:)

francispelland
Regular

Save a buck or so and just switch to XBox music. Used to be a huge fan of Spotify and told everyone about it. Once you try XBox music you see how bad Spotify was. Heck I am happy bluetooth streaming works as expected!

Part of me still wishes for WP8 updates, but sadly there is nothing that even hints at them consider it.

SUGGESTED POSTS