Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows phone app not comming back straight to the player after last update

Windows phone app not comming back straight to the player after last update

Windows phone  8.1 (nokia lumia 1020)

Spotify version 4.0.5347.25959

After this last update Spotify isn't coming back from other apps or the home screen into the music player anymore. It always "close" the player and opens up on the last part/list I was before opening the player. Even from the lock screen it doesn't open right to the player. It should save the last screen visited and come back from there if I did not close the Spotify app or jumped to another app from the player (using the home button or holding the back button to access other apps). Most of the controls associated with the music that is playing are on the player screen (like the slider, add to list, favorite, etc.) and now we always have to click the bar below the Spotiffy app to access the player if we put our phone down or navigate through the phone.

Please! Fix that. 

13 Replies

new update today (version 4.0.5351.32022)) and no fix to this problem. 

Thanks for your opinions. It's hard to say is it bug or feature. Have you tried reinstalling.

Music is for what we living for. We are one!

Just did. The issue remains. Bug or "feature" it should not work this way. Besides being verry anoing having to click the bar below each time i want to skip music or navigate to its options, any app should return to the last screen you visited, unless you've closed it.

Agreed, it's hardly app resume this way, more like a restart!

@peterkrisztian wrote:
Agreed, it's hardly app resume this way, more like a restart!

It's not *entirely* like a restart, because it doesn't bring me back to the Home screen like a cold start would.

It's interesting that it seems to be *trying* to do the right thing - when i resume the app, it actually does show me the "now playing" screen while it reloads - but then it flips back to whatever screen I was at *before* the "now playing" screen.  It's as if it resumes correctly, then sends itself an (erroneous) "back button was pushed" message.  (Maybe that's a clue?)

It's not a critical bug to me, and it's not particularly annoying now that I expect it - but I'd bet a buck it won't be hard to fix, either 🙂

Do you always get this behaviour, even if you move the app to the background and then immediately swap to it again?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes. Even if i hold the back button and tand hit spotify right away, without swiping to other apps. 

by the way, this retarded forum somehow did not link my username with my spotify login.. so now, i`m username bruno_osti and brunoosti... awesome... bugs everywhere. 

on my home pc i'm brunoosti, on my laptop i'm bruno_osti.. WAT??

nope.. loged out.. and loged in. Maybe i'm bruno_osti for ever now. : (

@Peter wrote:
Do you always get this behaviour, even if you move the app to the background and then immediately swap to it again?

ALMOST always.  

Because my day job involves being OCD about software bugs, I spent some time trying out variations on this - changing the way I navigate back to the running instance of the app (long-press <back> + task switcher, or just keep pressing <back>), changing whether the "now-playing" song was offline or streaming, whether it was playing or paused, etc.  In all those attempts (and there were dozens), I saw it behave *correctly* twice (i.e., resuming the app actually resumed the "now playing" screen).  I wasn't able to repeat the correct behavior, even with the same input variables, which is weird.

This is the quickest repro possible, probably:

1. Start a song playing, get the "now-playing" full screen;
  2. Tap the power button to turn the screen off, and immediately tap again to turn it back on - slide up the lock screen
  3. Note that the "now-playing" screen shows up when the app resumes, then flashes, then switches back to whatever screen you were on BEFORE step 1.

Peter, are you NOT seeing this?  Is anyone else not seeing it?  That would make this even weirder...

Can confirm this is an issue. I'm going to raise it as a bug after I gather more details.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It has just updated today (version 4.0.5360.30235).

The problem still there, but it`s working properly sometimes now. 

Even so, i`d guess the core issue is still withing the app. The ting that is broken, and always was, since i`ve had the app, is the history tree or history hierarchy of the app. 

From start it has always mixed its navigation history with the OS history. Each app should have an "internal" history which would serve to navigate within the app. Than, if you hit back as many times to go to the app`s home screen, only there you should go back to any other app or OS home screen. 

I`ve just tried it now, and the right behavior is just not  constant.  Is it that hard to program a history tree that keeps the last screen on memory?? 

maybe it has something to do with how the player handles the OS player vs how it navigates through the musics.

Hi bruno,

I don't think anything changed (re: this particular problem) in the new update - I saw it work correctly a few times in the previous version, but in the *vast* majority of cases (easily 9/10, maybe 19/20), it didn't, and I could never get the correct behavior to happen reliably.

You raise an interesting point about navigation history in general that I hadn't considered.  There have definitely been times where I've been surprised by where <back> brings me, but I haven't done any even-slightly-rigorous testing around that.  Maybe I will next time I'm listening 🙂

bobg

Suggested posts