Country

Belgium

Device

iPhone 6, Macbook Pro late 2015

Operating System

iOS 12, MacOS Mojave

My Question or Issue

Hello Spotify,

I just went through my 2018 Wrapped overview, however I am pretty dissatisfied with the "most listened songs"-playlist. Here's an overview of my situation:

It states I've listened to Spotify for a total of 19,443 minutes (324 hours) and that I listened to my favorite band (The National) for 202 hours. Now this I was expecting, since I barely listen anything else but them, looping through most of their albums most of the time. The "most listened songs" - playlist however features an awful lot of music I'm pretty sure I only listened a very few times in the past year and barely any The National songs. Also, the top songs mentioned on the Wrapped website (which I expected) were not to be found in that order in the playlist.

Did something go wrong in the algorithm, or does the algorithm prefer a variety of artists rather than the actual "most listened songs"? Is there any way to get an actual "most listened songs" playlist?

Thanks in advance,

Bram, a huge Spotify enthousiast!

35 Replies

Why would spotify do this?

I really don't understand, it was acurate previous years. Why not now?

I too have this problem.

Is there anything we can do?

I really like the idea of the most played playlist. Last year was amazing.

Can we find this some other way?

exact same problem

Same issue over here, haven't even hear most of the songs a single time

Same issue here. Super bummed that my Top Songs playlist includes none of my most played artists/songs, including my favorite band that I listened to 50 hours this year! That's according to their "Wrapped" feature, which seems pretty accurate. 

Agreed with others, loved this playlist in the past, so disappointed in this years algorithm. 

Same issue here. My "Your Top Songs of 2018" infact contains some songs which I have been skiping as soon as they would start playing when I would lisen to the original playlist they are part of. Some of the songs which I listended on heavy rotation and have in a separate playlist haven't made it to the "Your Top Songs of 2018"  eventhough this heavy rotation playlist was created by me somewhere in the different of this year and it does satisfy their criteria of having different genres and artists. In fact barely half of the songs on my most listened to custm made playlist made it to "Your Top Songs of 2018" . I really wish they had enabled the option to edit the list 

I listen to rain and white noise on private mode while I sleep. Apparently, private mode didn't keep Spotify from triumphantly announcing that my most listened to tracks and artists were all rain. 😕 Woo?

My Top 100 Songs and Tastebreakers are pretty nifty so far. Just a bit bummed that after I have 204,500 minutes (40% of the entire year!), I was looking forward to some new insight about my musical and genre tastes and I got a big fat raincloud instead. 

Yup. Compared to my last.fm stats there are some major differences, the only thing that is correct is my number one played artist. I wonder why... all hail Spotify's allmighty omnipotent algorithms, they are just fantastic!

Same problem here. There’s even a song on my playlist that I listened like 15 seconds of it ONCE. It’s disappointing to spot a song that I absolut hate on my “2018 Wrapped”...

Experiencing same issue. Says Thin Lizzy is one of my top artists... Now dont get me wrong not bashing Thin Lizzy in any way at all but I think I have listened to them twice in my life... Never on Spotify so find it bizarre where they get their workings from. Rest I do agree with though... but would love to know how they have made it in my top artists considering I dont even listen to them. 

Did anyone else with spotify premium get their Top songs of 2018 playlist and it was completly wrong with songs you know were not top played and some were not even saved and have never been saved ? ? ? I'm not sure how they managed to mess it up so bad 

Same here. Comlpetely off. Had a song on my top 100 that I let my brother listen to ONCE in the car. 16 and 17 were great what happened?!!?

But is your playlist ok?
I mean, mine is perfectly fine and the tunes that appear on my top 5 are not even in my playlist...
This thing is absurd

Same problem here. 

I don't share my account with anyone, don't leave Spotify on in the background and no one would play these songs at parties. A lot of them are tracks I've listened to a handful of times (or less)  and most of the ones I've had on heavy rotation are absent. 

Please sort it out, I still listen to my best ofs from 2017 and '16 and I don't really want to listen to this one. 

I’m having a similar problem. 

My top 5 artists seem strange but could be right. 

My top 3 songs again seem strange but could be right. My 4th and 5th songs I’ve never heard of. 

On my top 100 playlist I recognise only a couple of songs, none are saved songs. 98% I do not recognise and have never knowingly played.

I’m a very active user of Spotify and whilst I may occasionally use my phone for party music or leave it running, this is minimal compared to normal usage (and when I do this it’s normally my own playlists anyway).  

This issue concerns me, is it a mix up by Spotify or is my account being used by someone else? The only devices registered are my own and I do not share access with anyone. Rest of Spotify seems normal apart from Wrapped and the top 100 playlist. 

Exact same problem here. The very first song on my playlist was a Taylor Swift song that I know for darn sure I never listened to. I can actually prove it, because I also downloaded by listening history data dump and this song doesn't appear even once.

Suggested posts