Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

after Windows Phone 8.1 update Spotify doesn't work anymore.

after Windows Phone 8.1 update Spotify doesn't work anymore.

Hi all,

This weekend I upgraded my Windows Phone from 8.0 to 8.1 and after the upgrade Spotify doesn't work anymore. I removed the app from my phone and tried to re-install it but after the download it gives an error. It says tap here for details and I can try again but the same issue arrises.

Did anyone else had this issue after they upgraded their Windows Phone to 8.1?

I have a paid premium account on Spotify so I could also use it on my phone but after the upgrade that's not possible anymore. Please help!

Kind regards,

Luuk van der Muuren

20 Replies

Hey there.

Thanks for your input.

Can you post a screenshot or error message in details here?

Thanks!

Hi Hpguru,

Added three screenshots:

1 - Gives this message after I've searched for the Spotify app in the Windows store and selected to Download en Install it.

2 - It has downloaded the Spotify app but it ran into an error during the installation and give me the option to Tap to check what's wrong.

3 - I've clicked the Tap here from the previous screenshot and gives me the message: 'We're having trouble installing this app. If this is the first time that you've seen this message, go ahead and try again. If the app still won't install, go to your Phone Update settings to make sure that your phone software is up to date.'

Well I've updated my phone software to the latest release (which was Windows Phone 8.1) but after the update the Spotify app isn't working anymore.

Thanks for your help in advance!

0003.png
0004.png
0005.png

Many thanks.

I escalated this internally, so this will be looked into! Any details you can provide, like your phone model, will be good.

Hopefully with solution.

Hi Hpguru,

Added three screenshots again:

1 - Shows my phone is fully up-to-date and no new updates are available for my phone at this moment.

2 - Shows my phone info like the model and software version

3 - Shows more detailed info about my phone (MAC, IMEI and SIM ID removed from screenshot)

If you need more info let me know.

wp_ss_20140901_0007.png
wp_ss_20140901_0008.png
wp_ss_20140901_0009.png

When I navigate to the Spotify app in the Windows Store my Windows Phone does seem to recognize I've once had the Spotify app running on my phone as it says 'owned' when I look at the app details. Any other app I didn't have on my phone yet says either 'free' or gives the price the app costs.

wp_ss_20140901_0010.png

This is escalated.

I hope that it will be looked into.

Any other with this problem?

Apologies - I kudo'd this post by mistake, and meant to kudo another.  (Not to say that I doubt the OP is having this problem - the screen shot was pretty convincing 🙂 - just that it's working fine for me.)

My bad.

I'm on the same WP build as prelepsis but it works fine on my Lumia 1020 so I don't think it is an issue that is effecting everyone.

Just wondering if you run a storage cleaner like:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/storage-cleaner/7112c24b-3e72-4dd2-8105-606e9d04b58f

It might remove old Spotify files which might be causing issues?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Im having a similar problem, but in my case is a lumia 520, just upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1, the difference is that i was able to install the app, but im not able to login, either with facebook or spotify account number, it just stays there, like "veryfing" the login credentials, and nothing happens, no error message no login, no nothing.  The same behavior has been noticed on other phones here at work.

if you can look into it, will be very helpfull!.

Regards!

Hey guys,

I just installed the 8.1 update, and i have the exact same issue than prelepsis.

I tried to clear cache manually, clear cache using Peter's app multiple times, and still same error. 

Any other ideas ?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Peter,

I tried the Storage Cleaner you mentioned in your post along with other Cleaner apps like for instance Cache Cleaner bu to no avail. I also don't really understand the use is of these apps. As far as I can see these apps only fill up all the available storage on your phone and afterwards delete it again.

It should start cleaning out any application caches and the Windows store cache. Cause after I cleaned my phone with these apps my phone still says 'Owned' when I lookup the Spotify app in the Windows store. So somewhere its still holding a cache of all apps I once had on my phone and marks them as 'Owned'.

Does anyone know an app that will really clean out application and/or the Windows store cache?

Prelepsis,

Actually, Peter's cleaning app is filling all available space in order to trigger windows automatic cache clearing system. But it is still not working though.

By the way, I also got the same "owned" displayed on the store, even though i have removed it as well.

Ahh okay, so that's why... thanks for the explination! 🙂 

You would think Microsoft would make this cache clearing system available somewhere in the WIndows Phone settings. But then again, as we both experienced, this cache clearing system doesn't clear any applications or Windows Store cache. I'm also wondering if the application list is really cached on your phone or it keeps that list in the cloud based on your Live ID. If so, resetting my phone to factory default will probably not help then either. Cause as soon as I login with my Live ID it will probably recognize I once had the Spotify app installed. What do you think? Would it be worth trying to reset the phone to factory defaults?

Googling around, there appear to be a few common causes of this. 

Could you try manually installing using this link on your device?

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/spotify/10f2995d-1f82-4203-b7fa-46ddbd07a6e6/xap?apptype...

Also, do any of your devices use SD card storage? My Lumia 1020 doesn't have an SD card and is fine so wondering if it might be worth formatting your SD cards in that case. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response! I don't have a SD card in my phone so only use the internal storage of the device.

I've tried manually installing the Spotify app by going to the link you send me but it gives me another error.

Screenshots:

1 - Downloaded the Spotify.xap file

2 - Try to install it but get an error: "There's a problem with this company app. Contact your company's support person for help."

wp_ss_20140903_0002.png
wp_ss_20140903_0001.png

Hi all,

Still no luck so far, does anyone have any other ideas to get around this? I'm getting pretty disappointed with Windows Phone which is a shame cause thus far I’ve been very satisfied with it. I wish there was an option to really remove an app which would indicate it as a “new” app instead of an “owned” app. Cause as of this moment I’m pretty sure there’s some old files/settings of my previously installed Spotify app which is blocking me to reinstall it now.

If no one has any other ideas I want to give my thanks to all the people from Spotify who have been helping me with this issue. And I think I better take this up with the Microsoft Windows Phone support team to find out how to fully get rid of the Spotify app so I can reinstall it from scratch. As soon as I’ve found a solution I’ll post it here so people with the same or similar issue can try it as well.

Kind regards,

Prelepsis

Bump. I'm having this issue too (WP8.1, update 2; Nokia lumia 735). Any idea how to fix this? Cheers

Hey mate, after lengthily discussing this with the spotify support and
pretty much try every existing solution or app that clears cache, I resign
myself to resintall my phone to get spotify to work.

And by the way, the spotify app is getting **bleep**tier and **bleep**tier everyday.

Cheers 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that... I actually got a new phone by now which is an iPhone... no issues anymore and able to use Spotify again everywhere I move! 🙂

Suggested posts