Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

different audio quality for download and stream

Solved!
Highlighted

different audio quality for download and stream

rennnix
Casual Listener

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

all 

Device

all devices with spotify 

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Hi there 

I was wondering what happens, when I set, for example, extreme quality for stream and normal for download: does spotify automatically start streaming in extreme quality, when it is possible or does it just use the selected, downloadet file? 

If it streams anyway, whether  I downloadet it or not, then it wouldn't make sense to download it to save datavolume as long as the (possible) streamingquality is higher than the downloadet one... Or am I totally false? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: different audio quality for download and stream

Hey @rennnix.

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you set the streaming quality to Extreme, and the download quality to normal, you'll be streaming the highest quality whenever you are connected to the internet. But as soon as Spotify is offline, it will play the normal quality version which is saved on the phone.

However, If there is an extreme quality version of a song cached on your phone because you were listening to music while online, it will play that version instead. 

Hope this clarifies some things. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

2 Replies
Solution!

Hey @rennnix.

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you set the streaming quality to Extreme, and the download quality to normal, you'll be streaming the highest quality whenever you are connected to the internet. But as soon as Spotify is offline, it will play the normal quality version which is saved on the phone.

However, If there is an extreme quality version of a song cached on your phone because you were listening to music while online, it will play that version instead. 

Hope this clarifies some things. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

rennnix
Casual Listener

Thank you :D 

SUGGESTED POSTS